Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney's First Black Princess

Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney’s First Black Princess - Movie News : People.com

Movie News
Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney’s First Black Princess

By Allie Gross

Originally posted Thursday February 19, 2009 08:30 AM EST

Jumping from the stage to the world of animation, Tony Award-winning actress Anika Noni Rose takes on her most enchanting and monumental role yet: Princess Tiana, Disney’s first black princess.

“This feels amazing,” Rose, 36, told PEOPLE this week at the Manhattan unveiling of the toy line for The Princess and the Frog. “[B]Not only is she the first black princess, she’s the first American princess. We’ve never had an American princess. So, the scope and the significance is larger than people even realize.”[/B]

Rose, who costarred with Jennifer Hudson in the 2006 film Dreamgirls, also had comforting words for her former costar, who recently suffered an overwhelming family tragedy.

“She knows she has my support and if she ever were to need me, she’s got me,” said Rose. “Sometimes you’ve just got to let people know that you’re there, and then let go, and then people come to you when they are ready.”

Regal Role
In the meantime, Rose is enjoying her newfound role as “Princess of America.”

“I’m not like, skipping down the street with it, but when you take a moment and you think about the fact that this is what America has chosen to put out as Princess-hood, Princess-dom, it’s amazing,” she said.

In The Princess and the Frog, set in New Orleans, Tiana’s mother is voiced by Oprah Winfrey.

Rounding out Disney’s multicultural royalty (see below) are Mulan, from China; Pocahontas, who is Native American; and, from the Middle East, Jasmine.

How exciting! Can’t wait until she makes her big screen debut!!

I heard about this a while back. I am happy to see it finally coming to life. I think it will be great. I wasn’t aware that no other princesses were American though. I guess I never really knew where Snow White or Cinderella were from.

Looking forward to this movie.

Oh I have been looking forward to this movie! :slight_smile:

Wonderful! I originally heard about this some time ago and I’m thrilled to see it actualize. Does anyone know when we should expect the movie release?

[QUOTE=timkelmom;936644]I heard about this a while back. I am happy to see it finally coming to life. I think it will be great. I wasn’t aware that no other princesses were American though. I guess I never really knew where Snow White or Cinderella were from.

Looking forward to this movie.[/QUOTE]

Pocahontas was American - you couldn’t get more American than her.

I look forward to the new movie. She’s very beautiful!

[QUOTE=llama;936653]Pocahontas was American - you couldn’t get more American than her.

I look forward to the new movie. She’s very beautiful![/QUOTE]

I don’t think she is considered a “Princess” if you click on the picture links on the article there is a chart of where the Princesses are from and what year they were recreated by Disney.

[QUOTE=timkelmom;936644]I heard about this a while back. I am happy to see it finally coming to life. I think it will be great. I wasn’t aware that no other princesses were American though. I guess I never really knew where Snow White or Cinderella were from.

Looking forward to this movie.[/QUOTE]

Ummmm, Cinderella and Snow White are German - Brothers Grimm!

Schneewittchen - Snow White
Aschenputtel - Cinderella

[QUOTE=Dopey;936667]Ummmm, Cinderella and Snow White are German - Brothers Grimm!

Schneewittchen - Snow White
Aschenputtel - Cinderella[/QUOTE]

Oh, Duh! :blush:

Thanks for clearing that up.

I had this same thought. I guess unless she married into royalty, then technically she is not a princess. However, if she is the daughter of the head of their tribe, then you could consider her a princess. Disney does group Pocohontas and Mulan with the other Disney princesses, so I guess I always thought they were.

Yeah, I always thought of Pocahontas as a princess because her father is the chief.

Mulan is not a princess, but they always lump her in there with the rest. She is a great character though.

[QUOTE=timkelmom;936677]Yeah, I always thought of Pocahontas as a princess because her father is the chief.

Mulan is not a princess, but they always lump her in there with the rest. She is a great character though.[/QUOTE]

Yes with Disney if you are a GIRL you are a PRINCESS!! :wub: Like when Mary Poppins and Alice show up . . . :confused:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: Disney reality~~~

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;936641]Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney’s First Black Princess - Movie News : People.com

Movie News
Meet Anika Noni Rose: Disney’s First Black Princess

By Allie Gross

Originally posted Thursday February 19, 2009 08:30 AM EST

Jumping from the stage to the world of animation, Tony Award-winning actress Anika Noni Rose takes on her most enchanting and monumental role yet: Princess Tiana, Disney’s first black princess.

“This feels amazing,” Rose, 36, told PEOPLE this week at the Manhattan unveiling of the toy line for The Princess and the Frog. "Not only is she the first black princess, she’s the first American princess. We’ve never had an American princess. So, the scope and the significance is larger than people even realize."

Rose, who costarred with Jennifer Hudson in the 2006 film Dreamgirls, also had comforting words for her former costar, who recently suffered an overwhelming family tragedy.

“She knows she has my support and if she ever were to need me, she’s got me,” said Rose. “Sometimes you’ve just got to let people know that you’re there, and then let go, and then people come to you when they are ready.”

Regal Role
In the meantime, Rose is enjoying her newfound role as “Princess of America.”

“I’m not like, skipping down the street with it, but when you take a moment and you think about the fact that this is what America has chosen to put out as Princess-hood, Princess-dom, it’s amazing,” she said.

In The Princess and the Frog, set in New Orleans, Tiana’s mother is voiced by Oprah Winfrey.

Rounding out Disney’s multicultural royalty (see below) are Mulan, from China; Pocahontas, who is Native American; and, from the Middle East, Jasmine.

[/QUOTE]

That is a great chart. Where did you get it? However, are Pocohontas and Mulan really princesses?

Yeah, realistically, if you compared tribes to royalty, she’s kinda the equivalent of a princess. I never realized Disney considered her one though? Simply due to the whole “marrying the prince” deal and that they lack the… coverage (?) the other princesses get.

If you visit The Official Disney Princess website (link below) both Mulan and Pocohontas are included with the the princesses.

Disney Princess - The Official Princess Website

I think it is still unclear if they are actually “princesses” or if they are just “leading ladies”, however, I think Disney considers them princesses. In my opinion, Pocohontas remains Disney’s 1st American Princess.

woah, ok, I never in a million years would have sat down to consider ‘where’ the princesses were from. But now that we mention it I knew Mulan was from China, I knew Snow White & Cinderella were from Germany, I figured Sleeping Beauty was French (is that right?), and I knew Belle was French, but where in the world is the Little Mermaid from? Don’t you have a country jurisdiction even when you live below the sea? Or no? :huh:

AND, how are they saying that this new pretty chick is the first American princess, why aren’t they considering Pocahontas American?

Anyway, this new princess seems lovely! :heart:

:laugh::laugh:I never thought about where Ariel was from…I guess she’s from International Water!:laugh:

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;936720]
AND, how are they saying that this new pretty chick is the first American princess, why aren’t they considering Pocahontas American?

Anyway, this new princess seems lovely! :heart:[/QUOTE]

I found this: Why Your Great-Grandmother Wasn’t A Cherokee Princess

1. “Princess” may be a very poor translation for the daughter of a chief. Cherokee chiefs were not kings. They were chosen by the community, and there were always multiple chiefs, both peace chiefs and war chiefs, at the same time. The daughter of a chief was more like the daughter of a mayor or a governor than a princess. She certainly wasn’t going to inherit any throne. But many people were ignorant of this, and Americans have been fascinated by royalty for a long time, so it is likely that “chief’s daughter” or even “prominent person’s daughter” may have gotten translated as “princess” by mistaken or romantic-minded white people.

and this

Pocahontas (c. 1595 – March 21, 1617[2]) was a Native American woman who married an Englishman, John Rolfe, and became a celebrity in London in the last year of her life. She was a daughter of Wahunsunacawh (also known as Chief or Emperor Powhatan), who ruled an area encompassing almost all of the neighboring tribes in the Tidewater region of Virginia (called Tenakomakah at the time). Her formal names were Matoaka (or Matoika) and Amonute[3]; Pocahontas was a childhood nickname referring to her frolicsome nature (in the Powhatan language it meant “little wanton”, according to William Strachey[4]). After her baptism, she went by the name Rebecca, becoming Rebecca Rolfe on her marriage.

What country was the little mermaid set in?

Denmark. There is or was until recently a statue of the sea maid in Copenhagen harbor. The name of the male paramour was Eric, quite a Viking handle- He should have worn more Viking-like get up in the film instead of late l9Th century Naval Dresss get-up uniforms.

My parents took a picture when they were there last year . . . let me see if they can send it to me?

I found this: http://www.copenhagenpictures.dk/mermaid.html