Memorial Day Crowds

Has anyone been during Memorial weekend, or more importantly Memorial Day? I’m wondering how crowded it will be coming off a 3-day weekend even though not all schools are out yet.

This coming year is a test year and one of the kids have problems in math that could possibly put them in summer school through June for re-testing, and if that does happen (which we won’t find out until the last day of school) that leaves the last week in May for our trip or later in July with the large groups and it’s HOT HOT HOT.

If we chose May our 1st park day would be Memorial Day and I figured if we didn’t go to MK that day, the most obvious for crowds, then we should be ok.

Thoughts anyone…

So no one has ever been around then? I went ahead and booked a room today so if it’s crazy crowded I guess we’ll just have to wing it :wacko:

I can’t help you with Memorial day, but I can say that we have been there during the July 4th holiday, and it wasn’t as bad as I envisioned. I would think that if it’s crowed over Memorial day, perhaps it’s more local and that day or so and not all the days surrounding it. Just a thought.

We’ve been several times over Memorial Day weekend. The crowds definitely build over the weekend but each year has been different for us, some more crowded than others. I think you’ll be fine, it’s nothing like July 4th.

I’m sure it will be more crowded than earlier in the month since it’s a 3 day weekend and Star Wars too. Haven’t checked on Gay Days or Flower & Garden dates yet.
Hopefully as each day passes it will thin out a bit. We went 1st week of June last time and it wasn’t as crowded as the last two October’s we’ve gone.
Just don’t want to get stuck in those July type groups again. That was no fun at all.

From reading here, in books, and other sites, I’m beginning to think that what I would call the traditional crowded and not crowded times are changing over time. Just reading comments here has made me think that you can take a date in to consideration but that it’s really hard to predict crowd size specifically anymore…perhaps it’s perception…I don’t know but…I just think its changing…:mickey:

Memorial Day Weekend can be a tough one. Just go early, stay late, take a break in the middle of the day. Make dining ressies early and use your FP strategy and you’ll be fine.

So, just do the norm then. I can handle that :wink:

I know they do the daily flag ceremony at MK, but is there a special one done on Memorial Day or is it business as usual?

Sorry I missed this earlier. We’ve been on Labor Day weekend many times and it has been hit or miss. Some years it was crazy packed, others is was busier than normal but could be managed. It is a little slower leading up to and does drop off some on Tuesday following.
We never ran from Gay Days as many do. We found it to be one of the best days to hit the park that is selected by the organizers. Many will run afraid of crazy crowds. We found it to be the happiest days ever in MK or Epcot. The crowds were freindlier than normal. And more polite.
If you are in MK for the selected day make sure you hit Fantasy Land first thing. I had never seen lines as long for Dumbo and IASW than on a Gay Day MK Saturday.

We have been during that time and noticed that. The crowds were so much nicer than usual, maybe more crowded but so friendly.

Totally agree with this also. In looking at all previous trips, whenever we discuss the one during gay days, stories always come up with what an excellent crowd it was, how nice this person, or that person was, how fun that couple were…etc. It’s really a good time to go, and if you want to avoid crowds, just look up the schedule and go to the opposite park everyone is attending that day.

Not to worried about rudeness, or even PDA as most reports i’ve read have been favorable to that group’s attendance. Mostly more concerned about wait times due to headcount.

We’ve decided to go Saturday-Saturday with our 1st park being Sunday or Monday. Star Wars are during then so we’ll avoid HS on Sunday and Gay Days tour Wed-Sat so which park to avoid would be easy on that one.

If nothing special is done to honor our soldiers on Memorial Day then we’ll avoid MK on Monday since that’s the main day i’m concerned about and figured it would be the busiest just because it’s a holiday.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about this at all since we have our fav’s and can walk away from the rest if crowds peak but we’re taking a family with 3 boys (13, 9 & 1) and wanted to help make their 1st visit memorable enough to want to return.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1118721]Not to worried about rudeness, or even PDA as most reports i’ve read have been favorable to that group’s attendance. Mostly more concerned about wait times due to headcount.

We’ve decided to go Saturday-Saturday with our 1st park being Sunday or Monday. Star Wars are during then so we’ll avoid HS on Sunday and Gay Days tour Wed-Sat so which park to avoid would be easy on that one.

If nothing special is done to honor our soldiers on Memorial Day then we’ll avoid MK on Monday since that’s the main day i’m concerned about and figured it would be the busiest just because it’s a holiday.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about this at all since we have our fav’s and can walk away from the rest if crowds peak but we’re taking a family with 3 boys (13, 9 & 1) and wanted to help make their 1st visit memorable enough to want to return.[/QUOTE]

—On July 4th they did a special military tribute at DHS…I’m surprised they aren’t doing something for Memorial Day…perhaps they will and it’s not “advertised”??

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1118721]Not to worried about rudeness, or even PDA as most reports i’ve read have been favorable to that group’s attendance. Mostly more concerned about wait times due to headcount.

Normally I wouldn’t worry about this at all since we have our fav’s and can walk away from the rest if crowds peak but we’re taking a family with 3 boys (13, 9 & 1) and wanted to help make their 1st visit memorable enough to want to return.[/QUOTE]

I do remember that there was a longer flag retreat on one of our Memorial Day trips. We ran from Epcot to MK just to catch it.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1118683]So, just do the norm then. I can handle that :wink:

[/QUOTE]

I believe 100% that we, as Official Disney Wackos, are never more able to thrive on a WDW day than we are when it is crowded! We are stealthy, sophisticated, assertive operatives able to work every angle and employ Jedi-level tactics to make the most of a big crowd. We blend in, we conquer, we EXCEL! :laugh::ph34r::laugh::pirate:

Well said…:mickey:

We were at WDW and WWoHP last year the Thursday before memorial weekend through the Tuesday after and were pleasantly surprised at how low the crowds were. We were able to do everything we wanted.

And then you enter Space Mountain and find a 500 strong group from Brazil got there 5 minutes before you and the advertised 30 minute wait is now 90. :laugh: Enjoy the noise.

Buzz Lightyear anyone??

I’d even consider Stitch at that point. And we never hit that ride anymore.