Mickey's Backyard BBQ ? &/OR Luau?

I KNOW this has been asked before but here goes…

We have tried alot of the places throughout WDW. We are thinking about doing some of the FEW things we have NOT tried!! One being Mickey’s BBQ.

What are your thoughts on this for kids ages 9, 12, and 15?? Are they too old???
We would be doing it May 28th. Heat? Is it bad that time of year? How ling do you spend there?

[B]OR[/B]

What about the Luau at the Poly?? We have never done that either! Good for those ages??
My DS is VERY pickey do they offer other things like HDDR does??
How long is the dinner and show?

Opinions on BOTH would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

oooooh…good question…we are looking for a different kind of ‘fun meal’ to do when we are there in March so I’m gonna check in on your answers to if you dont mind!! My DD is a little younger though, only 5. Im sure she would like either though!

We always do HDDR which is AWESOME!!! We are doing it again this time too, but we are on the DELUXE plan and we want to do some of the 2 credit dinners to use them more efficiently. so we have always considered Mickey’s BBQ But have never done it due to HEAT in August and Late June. Now that our kids are older we are not sure if it would be boring to them…
Hope this helps you too!!!:happy:

We went to the luau, and it was a bummer.

The food was so-so, the service was rushed and they kept REALLY pressing us to stay on schedule so they could get us in and out before the next seating.

The performers were NOT enthusiastic, and unless you are in the front row, there is no participation for the kids.

There also was pressure to buy extras – like photos and stuff like that.

We kept wishing we were inside the hotel enjoying Ohana instead. It was only later that I was told the luau is not a Disney show, but instead it is contracted out to another organization. That would explain why it was not magical.

Are your kids the kind who will get up and dance with characters and learn to lasso a rope? We went to the BBQ a few years ago, I think my son was 5 or 6 at the time. I’m glad we went but it was a one time deal for us. It was too dang hot to truly enjoy it so we pretty much ate and left. I will say, the food was good and there was LOTS of it.

[QUOTE=MissDisney;924016]We went to the luau, and it was a bummer.

The food was so-so, the service was rushed and they kept REALLY pressing us to stay on schedule so they could get us in and out before the next seating.

The performers were NOT enthusiastic, and unless you are in the front row, there is no participation for the kids.

There also was pressure to buy extras – like photos and stuff like that.

We kept wishing we were inside the hotel enjoying Ohana instead. It was only later that I was told the luau is not a Disney show, but instead it is contracted out to another organization. That would explain why it was not magical.[/QUOTE]

OMG!! I am glad I asked!! This would be our 1st night and I don’t want it to start badly!!! I did not know it was not disney!:huh:

I’ve been to the Luau and I was not impressed. The food was just okay and I didn’t feel like the cast members were that attentive.

We went to the BBQ in July 2005 to celebrate my daughter’s fifth birthday. The show was very good and the character interaction was fun. The food was delicious and abundant. Being that it was July it was VERY hot but all in all we had a good time.

I hope this helps.

[QUOTE=Monique;924047]I’ve been to the Luau and I was not impressed. The food was just okay and I didn’t feel like the cast members were that attentive.

We went to the BBQ in July 2005 to celebrate my daughter’s fifth birthday. The show was very good and the character interaction was fun. The food was delicious and abundant. Being that it was July it was VERY hot but all in all we had a good time.

I hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Thanks that does help… What do you think about my kids ages? Would they be out of place??

We had a very good experience @ The Luau. DD musta been 6 at the time and we had Awesome floor front row seating!!! The Keiki (children) get to go up and dance for a bit and anyone who is celebrating an anniversary, birthday, etc…
We all loved the food, it was really good, we had excellent service, they did ask us to buy the package, we bought a couple things (?) becuase of the good time we had and we booked the LAST seating for the ambience of the dark, etc… We weren’t rushed or anything. Everything was Awesome!!!

We all enjoyed the show too!!! :cool::happy:

DD has asked me EVERY year to go back but it hasn’t been in my budget! :blush:

I too would like to try something different but have no desire to pay alot of $$ on burgers, hot dogs, ribs!!! I was thinking about the Mickey’s Backyard BBQ but then changed my mind. :blush:

I was thinking about catching the campfire sing along with C&D at FW and I believe it’s FREE!!! :cool::happy:

I would pick the BBQ. I have not done that, but we did the Luau and we couldn’t wait for it to be over. If I remember correctly, we pretty much ate and left-it was that boring.

My frined went to the BBQ and had a great time. Then you can head over to the Camp fire with Chip & Dale and make some smores. Kits are available for purchase, of course. They do a sing along and then there is a movie under the stars.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;924070] but we did the Luau and we couldn’t wait for it to be over. If I remember correctly, we pretty much ate and left-it was that boring.
[/QUOTE]

LOL… maybe we were at the same show on the same night! I kept thinking, wow, we could have been right over yonder enjoying Ohana – double the fun for half the price! :laugh:

We’ve only done the BBQ and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Once was the regular meal and we did Thanksgiving last year.

The food is OK - typically BBQ fare. For the kids, they LOVE the freezers packed with ice cream and pops!

The BBQ is all about the show and the character interaction. Our kids loved the fact that the characters were out the entire night and danced away with everyone. The music was good and the kids liked the rope tricks.

We are planning to do the BBQ again for Thanksgiving this year.

Which characters are typically at the BBQ?

I think i’m being sold on the bbq. Will they let you go to the campfire and the movie because that sounds like an awesome evening. We are staying off site this time so we won’t have a resort card.

We had been considering doing the BBQ, as well, during our trip in June. We’ll have 8 of us, as a friend is bringing his 2 kids with us. Sounds like a great time! Thanks, everyone, for your information.

We haven’t ever done the BBQ before, I’m interested but hesitant because I heard that the there isn’t any real organization to the characters interaction with the kids and that the characters tend to get “mobbed” by people/kids and younger ones can be intimidated. Just what I heard…

As for the Luau, we have done it twice before and loved it each time. The last time we went our kids were 1/3/5 and the show just captivated them, especially the fire dancer. We had a seat at the very back which I was a bit worried about, but we had a great view and we were able to let the kids stand and stretch without bothering anyone behind us. Our kids were able to go on stage for a bit of a “hula lesson” which they loved and we found the food great and service outstanding. DH loved the free beer refills too!!

Good luck!! Disney dining decisions are sooo hard!! Sooo much to choose from!!

[QUOTE=Mickey Mom;924541] hesitant because I heard that the there isn’t any real organization to the characters interaction with the kids and that the characters tend to get “mobbed” by people/kids and younger ones can be intimidated. Just what I heard…
[/QUOTE]

It can be crazy, but we’ve never anyone trampled. The characters do make a very quick trip around the tables - very quick. We found all of the characters willing to take the time for a photo. The kids seem to love the fact that the characters aren’t just making the rounds. They dance and have lots of interaction with the guests. We’ve seen Goofy being, well, goofy; Minnie dancing will all the girls; etc.

MBYB is a lot of fun! There is a live band (or there was when we did it) and the characters are very available to the kids. They even danced with us (great pictures of my DD’s dancing with Mickey and Minnie). The food is all you can eat. There was wine and beer included when we did it. I like the Luau, but would do the MBYB over the Luau.

We did both last year/trip and enjoyed them both. We have done MBYBBQ many times but had never done the Luau, so we used our TS credits to do this show.
I wouldn’t say we would return to Luau in a hurry, although the food was good, and the show was good, it was a very short evening,and we were surprised how quickly we were in and out-however,the BBQ is really good fun for all.