Mickey's Backyard BBQ Questions

Does this run in January? I know it is held outside in a pavillion so I wasn’t sure if they had it then. Has anyone gone? Would you give it a thumbs up or down? I have read mixed reviews about this but am considering it for my January trip if it is available. I’m going with my w DD, 10 and 6. We never went before because we always had our teenager with us and always have done the Hoop de doo, which I love. Opinions,please???

I think it runs March through December but you might call and ask about it, things are always changing. We liked the BBQ but I’m not in a hurry to go back. We went in July and it was way too hot to really enjoy it. The food was really good and there was so much of it. We sat at a table on the edge so try to get some cool air and didn’t really get too involved in all the fun but there was plenty to do so families. I’d take the HDD any day, we love that show.

I looked into this for our upcoming trip and from what I remember reading it does not run in January.

We just did it on Oct. 20. We really liked it. It was HOT! But it was alot of fun. I would recommend leaving early before all the parents get too drunk though. They seemed to be getting out of hand when we left. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

According to allearsnet.com, the BBQ runs March to Dec. Our family loved it. My 2 and 7 year olds had a blast. Yes, it is more laid back and less formal than most character meals, but we had more character interaction here than any other character meal. We went in July and yes it was hot, but not overbearing. The food is ok, nothing fancy, but the food was not our main purpose anyway. The characters dance with the children and there are games. We have been to Disney many times and we highly recommend this character meal.

I was in Willbegone’s party on Ocotber 20 and we were the second family in line and got an awesome seat in front of the stage, but the informality and size of it made it hard to get one on one with the characters.

:excl: Some of the drunken parents were downright mean. Some were pushing kids out of the way so that their kids could dance with a character. One pushed two kids ot of the way to get her own picture take with one of them.

I loved the food. The ribs were awesome and I would have skipped the burger if I had known the ribs were going to be that good.

:happy: :happy: :happy: Overall, it was a lot of fun, but if you take little ones, keep a close eye on them so they don’t get hurt in the melee.

My family did this a few years ago and we really enjoyed it.

We have done this twice and the kids LOVED it. We didn’t have any problem either time with drunken parents or the pushing and shoving that others seem to have had. The first time we went we had PS for Mickey’s Luau but it was cancelled and replaced with the current one at the Polynesian and we opted for MBBQ instead. The food was pretty good both times and definitely a thumbs up too for the ribs. What a sad thing for parents to get drunk at a dinner for kids. Sad indeed!

We did the BBQ 2 years ago. We didn’t really care for it b/c it was hard to keep track of our then 3 yr old DD. There are so many people on the dance floor with the characters that its a little chaotic. We really liked the Hoop Dee Doo on that trip and the food there was great! The food at the BBQ didn’t impress us at all. Since your kids are older you’ll probably like it more than we did.

:wub: I was very dissapointed with the food at the Barbeque. My friends that traveled with me did not like it either. Beer was included at no extra charge.

We did it 2 years ago and it was a blast!!! We had a country music band and we line danced for 2 hours. The food was great, all you can eat and drinks included! The characters line danced with us!!! We had a great time!!! Joe

We’ve done it twice now & loved it both times. As a matter of fact we think we’re going to do it again in May. Never had any problems with drunk parents or anything like that. There are definitely lines for characters, but no worse than elsewhere at WDW. We thought it was a blast. DD always makes me get up to do the Electric Slide, but I’m just not nearly as coordinated as I used to be.

I guess we won’t be able to make it this trip as I just had it confirmed that it only runs March-December. RATS!

Too bad, but plan to do it next time, we had a ball. I do not remember any drunken parents, just fun, but HOT in Otober!! A the food, imho was great, casual and a lot of it, with no big lines.
A great time.
Den

We did this in May 04 and had an absolute blast. We were right up front waiting to go in. While we were waiting the characters came out for a bit to mingle with the crowd. The hosts were hysterical. If you don’t like to be near loud music, sit towards the outer end of the tables.

The food was good. The characters do not come around the tables, they pretty much stay out on the dance floor, take breaks and then come back out. During their breaks, they had a rope lasooer (??spelling) who does a show and gets a few children involved (my DS being one of them), they have a western band and they even have line dancing lessons. Usually most people only stay to eat, meet the characters and then leave. The BBQ runs for 2 hours, so the crowd starts to thin out as the evening goes on.

High price but worth it for two hours of fun!!!

Does this still run In OCtober?

[QUOTE=raggedyann;349220]I was in Willbegone’s party on Ocotber 20 and we were the second family in line and got an awesome seat in front of the stage, but the informality and size of it made it hard to get one on one with the characters.

:excl: Some of the drunken parents were downright mean. Some were pushing kids out of the way so that their kids could dance with a character. One pushed two kids ot of the way to get her own picture take with one of them.

I loved the food. The ribs were awesome and I would have skipped the burger if I had known the ribs were going to be that good.

:happy: :happy: :happy: Overall, it was a lot of fun, but if you take little ones, keep a close eye on them so they don’t get hurt in the melee.[/QUOTE]

OKAY~ I was planning on trying to make a reservation for the BBQ when we go in Sept. but now I’m re-thinking the whole idea after reading about drunk, rowdy parents… is this typical at the BBQ or just a couple of isolated incidents? Is it that chaotic? With 3 kids (12, 6 & 3) I’m not sure I want to take any chances… .advice anyone? :crying: A little disappointed since this is one of the character meals we were looking forward to trying…

This quote was from 4 years ago! I have never heard anything negative like that, ever! The Luau and HDR are all the same with the regard to alcohol and I guess this kind of thing could happen anywhere, but I would not let this one quote deter you!!! Definately try it, I have heard so many good things!!!

There is always someone who could do something crazy but as long as you are watching your kids and observing your environment you should be perfectly fine!

We went right before Christmas last year and LOVED it! There was so much food. DD who can’t get enough Mickey Bars made herself sick because she kept eating them since they were all you can eat.

I thought the character interaction was good and DS got to dance with the characters. We all enjoyed ourselves and had a lot of fun. It is definitely worth it