"Might I suggest the Beverly?" TRIP REPORT

Okay, here are the PF photos…it was such a great start to the trip!

Wow that cake is AWESOME!! Could you eat the balloons! YUMMY! :wub:

It was awesome! The balloon shape was white chocolate that had small balloons like in the movie…but they put the colored mickey balloons on top of that - the colored ones were hard and not good tasting, we ended up throwing it away at the end of the trip. The cake, however, was incredible. I highly recommend contacting Pat at the GF bakery to make a cake, we were very impressed. It was an 8" and fed our group of 7 twice with some to spare.

mmmmm, yumm yumm

That cake is so cool! I’ve been on the fence about ordering one, but I’m definitely doing it now!

We spent the rest of the day in the Magic Kingdom doing our favorites: Splash, BTMRR, Tom Sawyer Island, Jungle Cruise. My DH headed for the room after a few rides to catch up on his sleep.

We had dinner at Cosmic Rays, then were headed out of the park around 7 (just as it was closing for the Halloween Party) and took the boat across to Ft. Wilderness for Chip and Dale. I loved this so much this year and we really enjoyed it again this year. Gotta love some banjo playing and sing alongs. Now really, if we all just sang “She’ll be Coming Around the Mountain” everyday, the world would be a better place! Scot had met us with our van that was large enough for all 7 of us, and we quickly returned to POP for some night swimming, cocktails and a well deserved sleep.

Wow, that cake looked marvelous!! And I see we have another Phineas and Ferb fan, too. :slight_smile:

Hello cake…I love you!

wow i am loving this trip report!!! yummy cake, phineas and ferb (where did you get that shirt btw?) !

Where’d ya go??? I’m waiting patiently!! I need more to read.

DAY 2 – Animal Kingdom, Picnic in the Park, Boma
Now, many of you might know that my DH has his own special collection of Disney Pins: Chester and Hester’s Dinorama. He loves this place and has collected all but one of the pins ever made for it. He bought 2 on Ebay before we left for the trip…I’ll take photos of his new pins if you like. My Favorite thing we bought in preparation for this trip was his DINO RAMA Opening Day Cast Member shirt – on the front it says just that and on the back is Primeval Whirl. I made him wear this shirt to the Animal Kingdom this day and it made for some great pics! Cast members at the PW loved it, though they were almost the only ones to recognize it.
We arrived at the Animal Kingdom around 10 – we drove, as we were going to Boma for dinner and did not want to get stuck at the AKL with no ride home to POP. We took some photopass photos in the front and went in to order our Picnic in the Park. The line to order was long and the customers in front of us did not know what they wanted, so it took awhile. Meanwhile, the kids ran around pin trading. While we were waiting, somehow my son lost his Elvis hat that he had just bought at Graceland this past summer… We ordered our lunches: For DD and I, we got the ham and cheese sandwiches, my son and DH got the chicken and our friends got the sandwiches as well. Not only did the new “for two” lunch allow us to get what we wanted, we also ended up with two of the cute Picnic in the Park bags, which are awesome!

We took off for Dinoland, of course! First we rode Dinosaur, my very favorite ride, always scares the bejeezus out of me! My son told the CM that we needed to be in the front row, because Mama SCREAMS! So we got the front row! (Last year we made the mistake of sitting in the back row and I nearly deafened the poor man in front of me!)

After getting Fast Passes for later that day, we moved on to Dinorama! I have never seen such a line for the Primeval Whirl in my life!!! But we had to ride, so we got in line – it took about 25 minutes or so, not too bad. This ride has been refurbed since our trip last year and we could tell the differences: the cars now have a divider in the middle so that you do not completely squish the small children sitting next to you, a HUGE improvement. Also, the old cars had speakers in them - the new ones don’t. The speakers worked poorly before, so this was no problem. We love this ride! Our friends, of course, had never been on this ride (the mom had only been to MK and EP, and over 23 years ago!) They were Whirled, alright!
The kids played a few of the games, my DD won a small sea horse, played again, and though I thought she would try to opt up for a larger prize, surprised me by giving the larger shark to my son. Yay, a nice sibling moment!

After this, we moved on to EE, our very favorite. After riding once, it was time to eat, so my friends husband and I went to Africa to pick up while the rest of the group staked out a picnic spot. I was so happy to see that they have added TONS of new picnic spots around the AK – all along the river/lake and many other places. Unfortunately, our group did not know this yet, so we got a nice spot, but in the sun – and it was hot!

Lunch was great – we loved our sandwiches, got mashed potatoes as a side and cookies for dessert. The chicken was good, the same rotisserie chicken that they serve at Tusker House, which my husband has always loved. Their side was mac&cheese, which was a bit overcooked, but my son liked it. I believe our friends got the sandwiches for three and had TONS of leftover food – we all did, it is a lot of food. As others have commented, though, the only drawback was the drink – not just only water for a choice, but a TINY bottle of water to boot. Oh, well, we LOVED the experience and highly recommend. If you get a chance, check out and plan on a shady spot – we thought there would be more competition for them than there was.

Here are some pics from Day 2:

We went back to ride Dinosaur again with our FPs, then made it over to the Lion King for the last show of the day. It was great, as usual, and we sat in the Giraffe section, right down front. I love this show - who wouldn’t? My daughter is writing up a paragraph about it for extra credit for Choir/Music class as they get extra credit for attending any type of performance!

We headed out of the park, got right on the van (haha!) and went to AKL. We did a nice family photo shoot in the lobby with Photopass that turned out well - but you will have to wait for those pics, of course. We had prepurchased the CD, so we took advantage of all opportunities!

Oz took the kids with him (he doesnt drink) and K, my DH and I went to the bar to wait for our table in Boma. Nice, relaxing bar, but not much of a bartender…

Dinner was fabulous! The kids enjoyed the buffet alot, loved getting more of what they liked and not having to eat what they didnt. They brought special dessert plates for my DH and DS who were celebrating their birthdays - pretty, but all different and kinda gross. Oh, well, it was nice anyway!

We took a walk around the AKL pool to find the Night Vision goggles, which we had meant to do last year, but never got around to. COOL!!! There weren’t many animals out to spy on, but man, were the goggles COOL!!! Gotta try this.

By this time, a horrible blister had formed on my baby toe - and we hobbled home to bed.

Another fab day!!!

Here’s another pic from Day 2 - we know there is a hidden mickey on this statue, but in 3 trips, we have failed to find it. Very frustrating!!!

Great report. I did not know they refurb’d the Whirl. Bumping into the sides use to send tuning fork vibes from my hips. Very embarrassing.

Next up, breakfast with the cousins, a belly dancer, and the title line…Might I suggest the Beverly"?

Just so you know, you all have corrupted my son. Through me. I understand, but still…

My son has wandered into my office when I have been laughing hysterically at your TRs, your videos and your stories. So he has seen the video of the MBer who had her unsuspecting sons one even in a stroller for goodness sake!) taste the Beverly, and even after gagging, be encouraged to drink more!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh: Yes, he has seen you people, and the problem is, He WANTS TO BE THE FUNNY GUY! :laugh:

Thank you, MB, I think you may have created THAT GUY!!

More to come…

thank you for the review of the picnic lunches!!! we seriously debated on doing it in september but the last time i ate at the ak, we ate at the flame tree barbecue and i got seriously ill so i am scared of AK food!
can’t wait to hear about boma though! that’s my FAVORITE!!! and i love hearing what everyone picks to eat there (i’m weird). you said you had mashed potatoes? were they hot? like do they make the lunches fresh? do you give them a time that you are going to pick up your food or do they tell you when to pick it up? do you have a picture of the bag? and you get to keep it right?
sorry about all the questions!

[QUOTE=nubeanie;997647]thank you for the review of the picnic lunches!!! we seriously debated on doing it in september but the last time i ate at the ak, we ate at the flame tree barbecue and i got seriously ill so i am scared of AK food!
can’t wait to hear about boma though! that’s my FAVORITE!!! and i love hearing what everyone picks to eat there (i’m weird). you said you had mashed potatoes? were they hot? like do they make the lunches fresh? do you give them a time that you are going to pick up your food or do they tell you when to pick it up? do you have a picture of the bag? and you get to keep it right?
sorry about all the questions![/QUOTE]

Yes, the mashed potatoes were hot, and very good. When you order, you have to give them a time at least 2 hours from the time you are ordering to pick up. You order at the Island Mercantile, I think it is called, on Discovery Island; there is a little counter with a cash register. You order and pay there, and agree on a time to pick up. Pickup is in Africa, at a separate little window near the Tusker House - right next to that funny little bell tower or whatever it was…they have put picnic tables in and around there as well! I can take a picture of the bag and post; it is green and made of recycled material, similar to those you can buy at the grocery. It has a small piece of flat vinyl to make a bottom for the bag. Makes a great souvenir.

The food was very fresh, but they did not have our order ready when we got there for our pickup time. We waited about 20 minutes for them to put it together, they were really backed up, I guess. You could also buy pastries at this shop, but people who tried were frustrated by the line for the pickup.

How awesome! How did you go about getting that cake?

Well, I lurked about the Dis boards cake thread for a long time dreaming of my cake…:laugh::laugh:

Then, when I got nowhere with the Cake Hotline, I called the Grand Floridian bakery directly and left a message for Pat. (I got the number from the disboards official cake chatter thread. Pat called me back and we spoke about an UP! cake for my son - this is our very favorite movie! She said they had not done one yet!:ohmy: So you are looking at the first UP! cake custom made by the GF bakery~!! It cost $62 plus tip, and in my opinion, was VERY worth it! The custard and fresh strawberries were awesome, the cake was so moist and delicious. I think the GF bakery can make anything and send to whatever resort or restaurant…I also ordered a white chocolate slipper dessert for both girls in our group and one was to be eaten at the Poly - Pat had it made and every CM at the Poly knew it was there - they said they had all been briefed in staff meeting that morning!:blush:
These special touches really made for magical moments!