Misgivings about going Value

As I mentioned in an earlier post we will be going back to WDW in June because DD’s dance class will be dancing at the MK. Well, because that is only 6 short months after our Thanksgiving trip we are thinking of staying at Pop Century this time to save some $$$$. We have only stayed at Moderates and will be staying at SSR for the first time in November. SOOO… will Pop Century be disappointing to us??? We also have a couple going with us who have only stayed on site 1 time and it was at Wilderness Lodge so I’m really worried they will be disappointed. Help ease my worries!

I think it really depends on what you will be doing at the resort. Values are fine for my family because we just sleep there and maybe take a quick dip in the pool before bed. I can’t justify spending double or more if we are just going to be at the parks all day. Kids love the value resorts because of the decor. I think it maybe just isn’t as much of a relaxing place as say WL-more kids, more noise, more fun!!

We’ve only stayed at Deluxe resorts and each time I say to myself, would a moderate be just as good & save me $2,000? I know so many people who only stay at Disney value resorts and LOVE them. If you are going on 2 trips so close together and with the Holidays coming…I’d say to try the value. I don’t think kids really care at all. My kids looked at the pictures of the value resorts and were just as excited as looking at the Deluxe.

I guess it all depends on how much you plan to be at the resort its self. We stay at Pop and enjoy it more than the other value resorts. It has a large and decent food court. Keep in mind this is not gourmet food but it is pretty good and we usually only have breakfast or a quick snack there. The grounds are attractive and colorfull. The pool is nice and there is an outdoor bar. The food court has slushies and apple juice , the other values do not offer either beverage( the juice is at the pop dispenser so if you have a refillable mug and small children it can be nice.) The rooms are clean but on the small side and we have never had a problem with the transportation there. We usually stay value to moderate and there are three of us. It,s a great way to save money and still be at Disney too!!:laugh:

I agree with what your hearing. We have stayed at a Deluxe and a Mod and our next trip will be a Value and as we found out we don’t spend a lot of time at the Resort so the Value should be fine for us

We stayed at ASMovie in 2001 or 02.This is the resort my kids always ask to go back too.They stay it is fun to stay there.Even my DH think it has a great disney theme.But I love the poly for the extra space/day bed,monorail and that we don’t really have to rely on the buses,veiw & this is the closes to Hawaii as I am getting for now.But If I got to plan 2 trips to WDW in year one would be at a value.

Pop Century will be a different experience but I don’t think it will be a BAD one so to speak. I believe that as long as you go in with the attitude that this resort will be much different than what you’re used to you’ll enjoy yourself. Actually, moderates and values are the same layout basically just different “stuff” and little Emilie and Aiden will LOVE Pop Century.
Anyways, I like POP we’ve stayed at value many times but we’ve been lucky and gotten to stay at moderates and deluxes recently and probably won’t go back unless absolutely necessary.

We love staying at POP and only have one moderate to compare it to. I think the biggest thing you may not like is the size of the room. But, like those who posted before me, if you’re only there to sleep, it’s not that bad. The resort itself is very fun!

I agree with Bella. I think you’ll be fine as long as you have a good attitude about it. We’ve only spend one night at a value and after a week in a deluxe it was just ok. I like my deluxe resorts but I would take a value over no trip at all.

I ask this same question every year almost…try to talk myself into the value to save the money, but I never do it. I spend WAYY to much time at the resort for it to be enjoyable for me. If I only used it as a place to crash at night, I wouldn’t care. If it’s only for a few nights and you are taking a big trip in November, just do Pop…it’s not going to stink…it will just be different. Like both bella and DT said, it’s all in the attitude you have about the place.

How can you have a truly bad experience, remember you are still at DW! We have stayed at moderates and value and honestly for the little time we are at the resort it really didn’t matter to us. We basically just collapse and sleep there. I did like Pop Century better than Sports and we are giving Music a try for Super Soap weekend. They are all clean and friendly and I know you will have a blast!

OK…I just thought of something annoying about the value resorts. The bus service is not as good as for the moderate and above.

We have stayed at Value, moderate and deluxe resorts. I have yet to be dissappointed in any resort. You just have to keep in mind that when staying at a Value you do not have the services/luxuries that moderates and deluxe resorts have.
When we stay at Pop , do I miss the monorail at the Poly - yes!
But I just keep in mind the resorts have different benefits. Just remember you at at WDW have fun!

We stayed at YC and loved it, but it was just 2 of us and spending was not something we had to think about at that time. Not that we were filthy rich, but 2 good incomes and lower bills.

Now, WDW are more budget minded and so Values are what fits us. We also have a 5yo and he picked the theming of ASMo. Last trip, we stayed at ASMu and it was fine. We don’t spend any time at the resort to speak of. Even when we were at YC, we didn’t spend time at the resort. We had to really work at it to go sit in the hot tub.

I’m not the kind of person that stays in pricey hotels anywhere, so the values aren’t a step down for me at all. We were very pleased with ASMu, so I don’t expect less from ASMo.

Again, it depends on how much time you spend at the resort. If you’re like us and only use it for sleeping and showers, POP will be fine.

[QUOTE=mickeymommy;896712]We stayed at YC and loved it, but it was just 2 of us and spending was not something we had to think about at that time. Not that we were filthy rich, but 2 good incomes and lower bills.

Now, WDW are more budget minded and so Values are what fits us. We also have a 5yo and he picked the theming of ASMo. Last trip, we stayed at ASMu and it was fine. We don’t spend any time at the resort to speak of. Even when we were at YC, we didn’t spend time at the resort. We had to really work at it to go sit in the hot tub.

I’m not the kind of person that stays in pricey hotels anywhere, so the values aren’t a step down for me at all. We were very pleased with ASMu, so I don’t expect less from ASMo.

Again, it depends on how much time you spend at the resort. If you’re like us and only use it for sleeping and showers, POP will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Totally what she said!!!

I love the values~ If you are stuck on staying at mod why not rent DVC pts?

I just got back from Pop yesterday and we really enjoyed it! Spent 8 nights there and the rooms were nice and clean, all the CM were great, there were plenty of buses. DD looooooved the pool.

The only thing I was not crazy about was the food - but it IS a food court and it did have a lot of choices. We only had a few breakfasts there so I am not sure about the other meals, they seem to have the basic CS fare. DD did love the pancakes :happy:

I had not been to WDW as a guest since I was a kid and I don’t remember our stay at the Poly (back in the 70s). So this is my only experience as a resort guest, BUT I did work at the front desk over at the Yacht & Beach Club so I know my deluxe! For us it was not only a budget decision, even if we had the money I am not sure I would spend so much on a room we only use for sleeping and showering…now if it is free I would make the effort :whistling

I do love the monorail resorts just for the convenience - same with the Boardwalk and the Y&BC being so close to 2 parks.

I always thought Pop was clean, family friendly, offered a good variety of food in the cafeteria area, and it’s the newest value so in my opinion it’s the nicest.

I’ve always stayed at deluxe and DVC, other than once at All Star Sports. We got a woods view so it was quieter and we stayed on night that there were no openings at DVC.

It’s not the same, but then again it’s not the roach motel either. The rooms are smaller but nice. There are more kids but hey…you’re onsite at WDW!

It’s a just a different experience not necessarly a bad one.

Food court was a food court. No worse or better than others I’ve eaten at in WDW. You can always visit other places for better breakfast somedays.

Personally, one night in Pop was enough to convince me to spend the money on a deluxe. I was so uncomfortable there it would have spoiled my whole trip had we stayed more than the one night.

But then, loads of people stay there and love it, so to each his own, right? Gotta give everything a try once.