MK Touring Plans: children with varied interests

My DH and I are both commando Disney types and we love getting as many attractions as possible in and not ‘wasting’ much time while we’re at WDW. However, this trip we will have both DD9 and DD3 in tow, so we know that we’ll have to be a little more flexible about considering what everyone wants (or is tall enough) to ride, taking bathroom breaks, etc., than we normally have to be when it’s just the two of us.

I’m listing our must-dos for MK and would love to get some touring plan advice from old MB pros for a family of 4 with children of varied ages, heights and interests. Can all of these be accomplished in just one day or would it be better to spread them out?

Also, please consider: should we all stick together the whole time, or branch off for part of the day to allow the older child to ride the more thrilling rides with one parent while the other parent rides the preschool rides with the 3yo? Anyone have experience with this? I’m looking forward to your expertise…thanks!!

Must-dos for all:
Buzz Lightyear
Dumbo
Mad Tea Party
Indy Speedway
It’s a Small World
Philharmagic
Laugh Floor
Pirates of the Caribbean

Must-dos for 9yo:
BTMRR
Space Mountain
Splash Mountain
Haunted Mansion

Must-dos for 3yo:
Barnstormer
Winnie the Pooh
Country Bear Jamboree
Dumbo or Magic Carpets (more than once I’m sure)

In my opinion, your plan is very … optimistic. Splitting up would help. Getting around and hitting everything (some more than once) w/a 3 YO will be tough. The down side to splitting up is missing the family time. We do it now but my guys are a lot older - technically.

What has worked out well for us is splitting MK into 2 days. On day 1 we get there at rope drop or do EMH. GO STRAIGHT TO FANTASY LAND, do not pause, pass go, etc. Do DUMBO FIRST! Send someone from your party to FP Pooh. Then hit all Fantasy Land attractions you will be done in less than 2 hours. After that it is up to you, we usually head to Tomorrow Land and check wait times and FP times. On day 2 we are again at rope drop and head over to Tomorrow Land to hit SM, Buzz, etc if we did not do it on day 1 if we did already hit these rides then we head straight for Frontier Land and Splash and BTMRR.

I’d do the ones you want to do together, then while one of you takes the 9 yr old on the big kid rides (we are all big kids aren’t we?) - the other can go on some little kid rides. Your 3 year old isn’t going to be able to go on BTMRR or SM, so why make them just sit and wait while the others go on it - let them have fun while they wait by going on the rides the bigger kid doesn’t want to do?

I’d say do country bears while others are on BTMRR/Splash, maybe even go on aladdin while they are on BTMRR/SPlash (depending on wait times), then meet up, do something together again in the area (maybe jungle cruise?) then jump on train, and go on barnstormer while they are on space mountain, plan to meet at buzz afterwards.

my 4year old loved haunted mansion - you may be able to ride it together, but if not, ride dumbo while they are on HM, then meet at philharmagic. i’d just try to plan it so you aren’t spending the whole day apart, but doing it in an organized order - so you are running back and forth all over the park.

definitly bring a cell phone for each adult -so you can find each other - we texted when we were about to get on a ride, so the other person could tell how much longer we would be (approx). worked well for us!

good luck - you’ll have a great time!!

We split up, two older kids go with Dad, and the youngest goes with me. It has always worked out well, and we get some one on one time that we don’t get very often. Then we meet back up to do the things we all have in common, then we may split up again later in the day, and I will take the bigger kids and DH will take the younger one. It really works out well to do that.

I should mention that we have 6 days to work with, so we don’t have to do all of these in one day. Also, per usual, we will take the 3yo back to the hotel for a nap in the afternoon each day, so that may be a good time for the 9yo and either Mom or Dad to hit up the “big kid” rides.

Thanks for your advice on splitting up…I have mixed feelings on this still but I guess we’ll just see what works.:blush:

With 6 days? You’ll be fine.

Your MK wish list is totally doable in 1 day. I also have to disagree with the rest of the group and say that you should stay together and do everything as a family. You are on a family vacation, right?

The only rides that DD3 can’t do are BTMRR and Splash Mountain if she is under 40" and Space Mountain.

While you are waiting for DD9 + parent to go on BTMRR and Splash Mtn. you can take DD3 to the play area under the train. It is to the right of the Fast Pass Distribution for Splash Mountain. It is a small area, but my kids could play there for an hour.

As for the time waiting and riding on Space Mountain- go in to the store part of Space Mountain- I believe there is an arcade in there. When DD9 + parent is finished with Space Mtn. she can meet you in there.

Every other ride, everyone can go on. Have fun and be together as a family.

Wow, sounds like its going to be a fun and busy trip! Looking forward to hearing all about it!

[QUOTE=johnkimv;879610]Your MK wish list is totally doable in 1 day. I also have to disagree with the rest of the group and say that you should stay together and do everything as a family. You are on a family vacation, right?

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great tips. This was my thought too on splitting up…I can see how it makes sense in some ways, but how sad is it to plan and anticipate being together for a whole week for months ahead of time, only to split up and all do your own things when you get there.

I didn’t know about the play area near Splash that you mentioned, but I will definitely give it a try. I have a feeling my DD3 will be glad to get some energy out and just run and play for a little while after being in line or confined to a stroller for most of the day. As far as the height requirements go, DD3 is 38½"…so close!!! Oh well, maybe next trip she’ll get to ride Splash & BTMRR.

Have fun on your surprise trip for your daughter’s birthday! I would LOVE a mommy-daughter day at MK. That’s a great idea. Hope to see a trip report and would also love to hear how the crowd conditions are since I’m going shortly after you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips…I’ll definitely follow your advice for Dumbo. I’ve never had a short wait for that ride!

You are welcome this is the first tip someone gave me here way back in 2002. Because of that tip I haven’t waited for Dumbo more than 10 minutes except once when DD wanted to ride it again later in the day.

Here’s how I would do it. Be at the castle rope on a NON EMH morning.

Dumbo
Pooh
tea party
Grab FPes for Space
buzz
indy speedway
laugh floor
ride space
Have one person get FPes for Splash while rest wait for carpets
ride carpets
pirates
haunted mansion
get FP for BTMRR
ride splash
country bears
it’s a small world
philharmagic
use FP for BTMRR
ride train to toon town and do barnstormer.

WOW - thanks, Dana! This is so well thought-out. I’m going to print it off and we’ll use this plan on one of our days at WDW. I’ll let you know how it goes in my TR! It seems like a logical lunch stopping-point would be between Space and Carpets.

I think everyone makes great points, but I would hate to split up from my family. We have a 10yoDD, an 8yoDS and a 5yoDD. We have found that when our youngest hasn’t been able to ride something in the past, either because she was too small or it just wasn’t appropriate, she enjoyed exploring the gift shops or having a snack while the others went off for some fun with mom or dad. When she was 3, she would take naps in her stroller and that was a great time for the older kids to do their thing while the parent who stayed with the sleepy girl got a mini-break!

[QUOTE=Dana;880116]Here’s how I would do it. Be at the castle rope on a NON EMH morning.

Dumbo
Pooh
tea party
Grab FPes for Space
buzz
indy speedway
laugh floor
ride space
Have one person get FPes for Splash while rest wait for carpets
ride carpets
pirates
haunted mansion
get FP for BTMRR
ride splash
country bears
it’s a small world
philharmagic
use FP for BTMRR
ride train to toon town and do barnstormer.[/QUOTE]
I’m copying and pasting this in my WDW plans! Thank you!!:heart::happy:

Logical lunch time for me would be after getting FP for splash and AFTEr carpets. That ride seriously loads SLOWWWW…get it out of the way. Remember, you can have multiple fast passes going. As long as you go AFTER your time window, they will let you in…same day of course.

Do let me know how it goes…I’m interested.

I can do that with any rides…are they the ones you want to see? If you have a different list, pm it to me and I’ll give you a touring plan.