Moderate or Value? That is the question

In my 3 stays within Disney I have always been at a mod resort. This year to try and save some of my hard earned $ I am contemplating a value resort, POP in particular. What is the real sacrifice between the two? Is it the room size? Pools? Food courts? I had read an earlier poster say that the real difference is between mod and delux, but wanted to hear from someone who has experenced the two and how they felt about it.

I have stayed at both mods and values and I just came back from 9 days at Pop Century. I would definately stay there again, I loved it. We had a great room location and found the food court and pool access great. The pools don’t have slides, but my kids didn’t seem to mind. The rooms were also very basic and a bit smaller than the mods, but still worked out fine for us.
If I had a choice I would probably still try to stay at POFQ, but would never hesitate to stay at POP.

We’ve always stayed at Mod’s before too. This time we are staying at POP. I’m leaving in 3 weeks, so I can let you know how they compare when we get back.

It was money that motivated us too - we decided that with the $ we saved by staying at POP we could just about pay for the dining plan.

I’m cautiously optimistic!

So was I and I loved POP, I’m sure you will as well.

Lucky you! Please don’t forget to let us know how you felt about the accomodations.

I won’t forget! I’ll post a trip report when we get back. (I’m starting to get REALLY excited!!!)
:mickey:

I don’t think there is much of a difference between the 2. The Moderates are a bit more “adult” but nothing else is a huge difference. There is no sit down restuarant at Pop.

To add to that there is also no “sit down” restaurant at POFQ.

I had been dying to stay at Pop. We :heart: LOVE :heart: POR, but for my DD’s birthday in June we split our stay between Pop and POR for her.

The rooms are quite a bit smaller. As stated above, no slides at the pools. They are just more “basic” than a mod.

The thing that I noticed as the biggest difference is activity. No matter what time we returned to our room at Pop, it seemed as though it was 3:00 in the afternoon. People were always everywhere. We had very loud next door neighbors. (read: partying at 3 in the morning out in the walkway area) There was always a ton of people at the food court. (they are set up and handle it well though) Same with the gift shop.

At POR, it is so quiet and peacful. The foodcourt does get busy (and truthfully Pop handles it better, IMO) but walking to/from your room everything is so serene. Hands down, this is my favorite resort.

Before we got into DVC we would always stay at AS Sports, we liked the food court mainly, it is quick and easy with a good selection. Since 2003 we have been at OKW and SSR, the AS rooms are smaller, but if you are only sleeping and showering there than thats all you need.

If we go back and we don’t use DVC points we will be in A vaule resort for sure

Actually, to be completely honest, the best vacation we ever had at WDW was at Boardwalk Villas, which was a crazy plan – we have no business spending that kind of $$$$! And we have stayed the rest of the vacations either at mods (Dixie Landings POR or Caribbean Beach Resort).

There is an enormous difference. And so we have never tried a value becasue we thought that if there was that big of a difference in the BWV and POR, there would be the same difference between POR and a value. But we really don’t know for sure…

We found that POR is absolutely lovely – fabulous even. It is our traditional place to be! But at BWV, the lavish theming, luxurious rooms, outstanding service, location, view, amenities, everything – were simply the very best we have ever seen!

That said… you will be at Disney, so who cares??? Do you spend much time at the resort? Neither do we! :tongue:

I can let you know in March. We’ve always stayed moderate as well. CBR 2x and POR once. We’ve deciced to go with POP in March because it is a mini-vacation and we are only there for 3 nights. So we are saving the $$ to stay at Wilderness Lodge in May/June 2007!

We love CSR!

CSR is a large resort that does not share services with other resorts and even offers some deluxe amenities because it is a convention resort.

CSR offers a salon, a spa, a gym that other moderates or values do not offer. CSR offers an internal shuttle system provided by golf carts to assist in getting to and from the main building to the villages. Again, it is not a perfect system but it is something not offered at other resorts. CSR also offers a full menu room service.

CSR has terrific transportation. It is not share with any other resort (like POR / POFQ) and it only has 4 bus stops within the resort (vs 8 at CBR).

And being a convention resort, the buses seem less crowded because guests are busy with their conventions.

CSR has the best pool of the mods and probably the second best on WDW property. It offers a great slide (123 ft long), an arcade, a sand volleyball court, a playground and kiddie pool at the main pool area, something for each age group.

Good luck deciding!

The main difference to me was the size. I just feel more comfortable in the moderate rooms. Also, like someone pointed out earlier, the energy and noise level. At the values it always does seem to be loud and a bit crowded. I felt more relaxed during my stays at moderates.

Hello neighbor! (I live in Middletown)
I was in the same situation as you and we chose to stay at “Pop” in 2004. To be honest, I didn’t feel like I was sacrificing alot to stay there in comparison to a moderate. Yeah, the room decor and detailing wasn’t AS impressive and the noise levels near the pool and lobby seemed intensified BUT my DH and I loved the food court, we were in a GOOD building location (60’s), and all in all we had a great time staying there.

I will also have to agree with whoever said the REAL difference was between the values/moderates and the deluxe hotels. But in 2004 it came down to; “We stay at a value OR we don’t go at all” and yeah, that 2nd option NEVER works for me!!!

hehe, we REALLY liked Pop!!! :happy: My only suggestion is to request a “up close” building, or shell out for the “preferred.” We REALLY appreciated that after a long day at the parks, having to walk in the rain, and being within close proximity or the lobby & pool. Paying for preferred was TOTALLY worth it, and STILL cheaper than the moderates.

Hi! I have stayed in both values (ASMusic & ASSports) and moderates (POR & POFQ) and to me the biggest difference was noise. The moderates were so quiet - I felt like I never heard anyone else, and the values were always really noisy - even in the middle of the night. I think there must be much more insulation in the moderates. The theming in the moderates is also more mature, while the values are bright and bold.

All that being said, I have really enjoyed all the resorts, but I think I will stick with moderates in the future. :tongue:

My whole deal is money. The less money we spend on the hotel, the more we have for the parks, better dinners, and souveniers. The more on the hotel, the less for the extras.

And the food court for values is a lot of ‘American’ food - fries, burgers, pizza… stuff I can do without. But great if you have little ones!

There’s only 2 of us, so a value isn’t a problem. And we don’t spend too much time there anyway. But the noise is an issue during the night. The walls at POP seem like they used the thines drywall available with no noise-proofing insulation or anything.

Personally I feel the upgrade from value to Moderates is the best value per dollar. Going to Deluxe is too much. The theming at the moderates is classy (IMHO) not garrish. The services are similar to an offsite premium hotel. The other consideration is the transportation. Walk out of MK after wishes and look at the line for all stars. Its pretty big.

Go for the moderate, the comfort level and over all experience is well worth the price!

Moderate anyday over POP. We stayed at POFQ and POP. I did not like POP at all b/c of the small rooms, the beds felt like bricks, the buses were very slow at night, and the overall decor looked cheap to me. It was a bit too chilly to swim but the kids showed no interest in the pool at all…they are pretty basic and the same as our pool at home minus the giant icons. And the toilet, holy cow…everytime someone flushed in the rooms next to us it sounded like the space shuttle was lifting off over there. The walls are way too thin at POP.