Moderate vs Value

Call me a snob.:huh: We love staying at Moderate resorts and thinking of going for the free dining. Looking at prices I can stay 7 nights at a moderate for the same price as 9 nights at value. :mickey: Can you convince me why I should stay at the value for 9 nights compared to moderate for 7??

I would do the Mod also. But we try to go for 9 days from a Friday PM check-in to the next Sunday AM check-out. That way we can soak up more and just relax 2-3 days by not going to the parks. If the budget says you can only do a value for 9 I would do it. But if all your schedule allows is 7 days I would definately do a moderate.

You’re not a snob, you just prefer the Mods…so do I, so I can’t help you here. If you have kids remember that the Values don’t have slides at the pools, which is a HUGE factor in our planning, since our kids LOVE the slides. Good luck with your planning.

I have two kids DS 13 and DD 11. We have stayed at Coranado and French Quarter. CS best slide and French Quarter slide OK.

Have you stayed at CBR?, it’s our favorite Mod resort, it’s spread out like CS but I just love the theming of it. Ask for a Water view room in the Martinique Section, you’ll be close to the main pool, Old Port Royale and a bus stop…it was the perfect location for us.

If you use your room a lot more than just for sleeping in I would go for the Mod. But if you just pretty much sleep in the room the Values are not that bad. I have only stayed at ASMovies. But if could go for 9 days i would stay in a Value in a heartbeat.

We are going during free dining, had planned to stay at mod. but value is $1,000 less! We always do mod., but stayed at Pop in Dec. and decided for the price difference it is fine. I don’t believe that the rooms are nicer, just a little bigger. If price is a factor, I would go value.

I would go value just to stay longer. I just sleep at the resorts!!

I would always choose to stay longer! We have only stayed at ASMo and we enjoyed it, but my family has outgrown it so we stay at POR.

Some points to consider on the differences between Moderates and Values:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don’t.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don’t (or you’ll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR’s have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates’ bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values’ bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more “hardscaping.”

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ … food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don’t have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it’s $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has queen-size beds, full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more “kid-themed” and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.

Wow! I knew I liked the mods much better than the values, but you just did everyone’s homework and told us why. I really couldn’t handle being at a value for 9 days. I have one teenage at 6 ft and another at 6’2". Only could stand one day of being scrunched!

[QUOTE=CleveRocks;949366]Some points to consider on the differences between Moderates and Values:

Moderate rooms are 314 sq. ft. (except CBR rooms are 340).
Value rooms are 260 sq. ft.
The 54 square feet difference is about the size of two double beds.

Moderate rooms have a ceiling fan.
Value rooms don’t.

Moderate rooms have a fridge.
Value rooms don’t (or you’ll pay $10/day to rent).

Moderate rooms have 2 sinks (except CSR’s have 1).
Value rooms have 1 sink.

Moderates have a pool slide and a hot tub.
Values have neither.

Moderates provide pool towels at the main pool.
Values do not provide any pool towels … you must use your room towels.

Moderates’ bus stops are covered (think protection from rain and hot sun).
Values’ bus stops are not covered.

Moderates have lush landscaping.
Values have more “hardscaping.”

Moderates have a food court AND a table-service restaurant (except POFQ … food court only).
Values have only a food court.

Moderates have some sort of recreational activity (e.g., boat rentals, bike rentals).
Values don’t have that type of recreational activity.

At Moderates, the maximum room charge limit is $1,000.
At Values, it’s $500.

EXTRA CREDIT:

POFQ and POR have boat service to Downtown Disney.
CSR has queen-size beds, full room service, and a gym.
Values are much more “kid-themed” and whimsical-looking than the Moderates.[/QUOTE]

Wow! That is a great summary. Even though I knew a lot of those things, it’s nice to see it all laid out like that. We have stayed at both and will only go with the Mod for many of those reasons. Having the fridge in the room saves us a lot of $ on snacks & drinks, so I figure I make up a lot of the difference right there. It doesn’t seem possible to me that a Mod could cost $1,000 more than a Value for one trip. On our 7-8 day trips it usually costs us an extra $300-400. How long are you staying, Lexie?

Oh gosh - you’re not a snob! Why shouldn’t you love staying in nice places? (I’m not saying the values aren’t nice - but the mods. do have more perks). Now - when you refuse to stay anywhere except the suite Oprah stayed in at the Grand Floridian - THEN you’re a snob.:laugh:

Hmmm - this is hard. Is there any way you could stay a couple of days at the value and then switch to the moderate? Or maybe half and half? If not, I guess I’d go with the value - 9 days is always better than 7.

I’d take the value just because I could get more days, and because I stay at both values and mods so I don’t mind either. But if you’re not going to enjoy yourself at a value, then maybe it would be better to shorten your stay and stick with the mod, so you know you’ll really love it?

I was mistaken, it is a $900 difference for us. Our first reservation was a bounceback from last fall, I was wrong on the price. CBR for 12 nts. with 10 day park hopper and free dining bounceback was costing us $3201.00. When I changed to Pop for 12 nts. with 10 day hopper and free dining the total came to $2,301. that was a big enough difference for us to rethink our plans and change to value.

I won’t be any help- I’d pick the 7 days at a moderate :mickey:

Wow, 12 nights, I guess that makes sense then. We’ve never stayed more than 7 or 8 nights. I guess that would be worth making the switch then. I’m sure you’ll have a great time!

If the budget is set, I’d pick the Value to stay more days. I stayed at POP Century for 10 days in 2007, after coming from a week stay off site in a 900 square foot villa. :huh: So to go to a 260 square foot room was quite a shock, but it was GREAT!!! We stayed at POP and I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again. ESPECIALLY if it could get me more days there!!!

Have fun deciding!

IMHO (and our opinion changed over years), I just don’t see much difference between Moderates and Values, especially since WDW built Pop Century, which has a better food court than most of the mods and is themed about as well. Mods have restaurants on site, for sure, but they are pretty much the weakest on property (not worth DDP points). And we’ve stayed at POFQ, POR (twice), and CBR. I’ll take Pop for 50% less cash. We honestly hardly noticed the difference in room size–it’s not like we’re dancing in there.

As for the little fridges, you can pick one up at Walmart (in Orlando if need be) for 60 bucks and sell it before you leave (if need be) for about as much. Actually, a moderate sized ice chest does just as well and ice is free. Just IMHO.

One caveat, if you do have children and a really fantastic pool is a factor, the mods do have slides and better pool theming.

As for us however, it’s a Value or a Deluxe.

If it were me, I would go with a mod. I have never stayed at a value but from reviews I have read you can get stuck next to a group of loud college kids that will keep you up all night. We always stay deluxe because I spend a lot of time at the resort but can
necer afford to stay there for no longer then 7 nights.

Its vacation, so you want to relax and I think the mod will give you more of that then a value