Monorail and motion sickness?

Any sufferers from motion sickness have any problems with riding the monorail? Also Kilimanjaro Safari?:mickey:

I don’t think you will have problems on the monorail, it’s pretty smooth riding.
If you do suffer from motion sickness, I don’t know if closing your eyes or keeping them open is a better solution.
If you do suffer from motion sickness, the buses and boats would certainly be even worse.

Kilimanjaro Safari might be a problem if you are a sufferer. The ride is bumpy, jerky, and subject to some short bursts of acceleration.
I know I don’t suffer these things because I am an extreme coaster junkie and really don’t get sick.

Being a pilot, I keep an eye on my passengers for the signs of motion sickness. At least the live ones - the dead ones never say a word :whistling :eek: (I scatter ashes by air over the ocean.)

I’ve never seen anybody have a problem on the monorail.

Absolutely do not close your eyes. It is best to keep looking on distant items - keep your mind occupied looking around. Avoid sudden movements of the head. Take slow deep breaths to relax.

I have a friend who is a pilot and has overcome motion sickness caused by inner ear problem - mostly. When we fly together, when I see that he is zoning out, I make him take the controls. Once his mind is focued on the task at hand (not killing us) he is fine.

Its not me , I am totally a coaster ridin “need for speed” kind of girl, however I married someone who suffers from severe motion sickness, and our daughter inherited this wonderful trait. As this is their first WDW experience , I want to make sure we avoid stomach upsets.

wow a pilot with motion sickness, that does have to be a challenge=). My daughter is more of the stop and go sufferer , husband is the one who gets dizzy looking out a car window.

The safari is like riding an open air jeep-but a large one. You will go slow, almost coming to a stop sometimes… and then sometimes (but not much)… There is a quick acceleration around a curve. The whole ride lasts about 20 minutes, but there are times that you might come to a stop if you are watching a giraffe in the road…

The monorail-there are two different lengths to ride. I would try the ride around the MK first. There are 5 total stops (including the MK) where you can test them. If they can handle that, then take the monorail to EPCOT. It is about a 15 minute ride, with no stops until you get to EPCOT. It does get faster than the MK, because there are no stops. I would guess that they can go up to 40 miles per hour, but never get that fast. It is smooth with no real jerks, or sharp turns (although there are some turns).

Definitely do not let them ride Mission Space. There are widespread reports of motion sickness on this ride at EPCOT, even from people who are not normally bothered by it.

I see your countdown is close. Call your family MD. He can prescribe meds that can help. There are many on the market and they all act differently on different people. You have some time to try them and get the dosage right before you leave.

The most popular are the scopolamine patches you see in the store sold for sea sickness.

I would think that rides like Mission Space and Star Tours would probably be worse for motion sickness - DEFINITELY Mission Space - even people who don’t have motion sickness can feel sick. My dh and one daughter have bouts sometimes and they find simulators, like Star Tours, are the worst culprits for them. Let’s not even discuss the Teacups.:blow:

The monorail, on the other hand, is very smooth and has no starts and stops - I would think it would be easier to handle.

I have motion sickness / vertigo, and neither have been a problem!
Have fun :smile:

I suffer from motion sickness as well and the tip I will add if your husband and daughter to not already know, never sit or stand with your back going backwards. Always make sure you’re sitting face forward and going forward with the movement when the monorail is in motion. I have to do this when riding the monorail, the trains, trams, the people mover in MK, all of that.

Another thing that may cause a problem if you haven’t experienced it already is the train in AK that takes you to conservation station (if that’s it’s name).

[QUOTE=DisneyFreak78;1067751]I suffer from motion sickness as well and the tip I will add if your husband and daughter to not already know, never sit or stand with your back going backwards. Always make sure you’re sitting face forward and going forward with the movement when the monorail is in motion. I have to do this when riding the monorail, the trains, trams, the people mover in MK, all of that.

.[/QUOTE]

I second this recommendation!

My DH gets motions sickness on most everything. :blow:
As long as he is facing forward on the monorail he is fine.

He also doesn’t have problems on Spaceship Earth, our DD always rides with him and since it’s her absolute favorite he sucks it up and deals with the backwards section. :wub:

My husband has pretty severe motion sickness and was able to do the safari with no problems as well as the monorail. It’s a very smooth ride (monorail). The “bumps” on the safari aren’t bad and I’m really sensitive to rough rides, though I don’t get sick (I just don’t enjoy it, I hate feeling out of control). We did Dinosaur at DAK and it was AWFUL. Never again. I was mad by the time we got off because I was so miserable for the whole attraction. It’s a super rough/jerky ride and I was thrown all over the place…we didn’t know what we were getting ourselves into when we got on. Oy.

You will have no problem with the monorail. I have motion sickness from planes,trains and sometimes even the car. But the monorail is nice and smooth.

Ok so far, monorail def go just face forward, safari is still iffy, I just would hate if my 5 yr old were to get sick.

Some safari tidbits to consider…

You’re probably already aware of this, but just in case, there are warnings both on the signs at the entrance and announcements in the queue that those with motion sickness should not ride.

If you do decide to try the safari, you might think about requesting the front row. It is somewhat less bumpy up front - still very, very bumpy, but you won’t bounce quite as much as you would in the back row.

Like hanwill said, it’s a 20-25 minute ride, and potentially much longer if an animal decides to move into the road. The road is designed to be bumpy, like you’re going over muddy unpaved roads, so there really aren’t any smooth parts where you’d get a break from the motion.

I’m sure whatever you decide, you and your family will have a great trip! :happy:

The safari’s give me a headache like no other if I’m taking pictures, or texting, or videotaping. But otherwise, no!

And the monorail, neverrrr. I could live on the monorail for all eternity and be happy and content! :]

Since I rotted my inner ear years ago due to swimmers ear, I get motion sickness worse than anyone, and I have NEVER been sick on the monorail. No worries! I wouldn’t stress on this one.