Monorail power outage strands riders near MK

This make for an even longer day. Glad no one was injured.

[B]Disney monorail power outage strands riders near Magic Kingdom[/B]

7:30 a.m. EST, December 13, 2009

The Walt Disney World monorail system suffered a power failure early this morning, stranding passengers for hours before the riders were rescued by emergency crews, WKMG-Channel 6 is reporting.

“The monorail just shut down and came to a stop,” a woman aboard the red train told WKMG. "The lights turned off, the air conditioner turned off, and then the pilot said, ‘We’re experiencing technical difficulties.’ "

The power outage occurred at about 1 a.m. By 3:15 a.m., conditions inside the train were described by passengers as “stuffy, muggy and hot,” according to WKMG.

Some riders of the train were rescued by a ladder truck from the Reedy Creek Fire Department. Other passengers exited the train through the roof.

Disney World has released a statement: “Our commitment to safety guides all we do, and this is the type of situation we train for with Reedy Creek. We extend our apologies to guests who were affected and are working directly with them.”

No injuries were reported, according to WKMG.

This morning’s incident comes several months after monorail operator Austin Wuennenberg was killed in a collision between two trains. Wuennenberg was the first fatality in the history of the Walt Disney World monorail system.

Disney monorail power outage: Riders rescued after being stranded for hours near Magic Kingdom – OrlandoSentinel.com

Wow, you’d have a great story to tell!

Plus, I bet they comp your room.

I saw this story on the news this morning and my first thought was, “I wonder if I know anyone that got stranded?”

Disney seems to be having more mishaps lately. I’m with Tigger though, I’m glad no one was injured.

Wow, more monorail problems. Glad this one didn’t lead to any deaths.

[QUOTE=MerlinMatt;1008337]
Disney seems to be having more mishaps lately.[/QUOTE]

I wonder how much of these problems are related to cost savings measures and staffing cuts?

I’m guessing somewhere way north of 75% :glare:

And that’s what leads to the truly horrific incidents such as the Big Thunder incident in Disneyland several years back.
Why does upper management refuse to learn past lessons?

I just want to admit that if I was stranded on the monorail for 3 hours at 1am I would have had a temper tantrum!! Thank goodness there is no monorail to FW and I was back at my campsite just after midnight!!

But, it does make me wonder what they do for the people that were stranded.

UPDATE/MORE INFO:

Walt Disney World monorail system power outage strands riders for hours
FEATURED, NEWS — BY SARA K. CLARKE ON DECEMBER 14, 2009 AT 10:14 AM
By Sara K. Clarke, Orlando Sentinel

Walt Disney World’s monorail system suffered a power failure Saturday night, stranding some passengers for hours before riders were rescued by emergency crews.

The monorail was brought to a standstill by a failed hard drive in the computer system that runs the 15-mile long transportation system. The monorail lost power to its beam.
No one was injured, said Bo Jones, of the Reedy Creek Fire Department, which serves the Walt Disney World resort.

The monorail was running again by the time parks opened Sunday.
About 300 people were affected by the incident, which happened at about 1 a.m. Many of Walt Disney World’s parks were already closed at the time, but the Magic Kingdom was open until 1 a.m.

Seven monorail trains were operating at the time. Three trains had passengers on them and were not at a station at the time of the power failure. Those passengers were either assisted by emergency responders from Reedy Creek Improvement District, or disembarked after their train was towed to a nearby station. Three other trains were already in the station at the time of the power failure, and one was empty.

Fire fighters did use fire ladders to rescue some park visitors, but Jones said the measure was for customer service, rather than for emergency purposes.

“Our commitment to safety guides all we do, and this is the type of situation we train for with Reedy Creek,” said Andrea Finger, spokeswoman for Walt Disney World. “We extend our apologies to guests who were affected and are working directly with them.”
Jones said the Reedy Creek fire department trains for such an incident about six to eight times a year.

“We’re ready for it when it happens and try to make it as speedy a process as we can,” he said.

This morning’s incident comes several months after monorail operator Austin Wuennenberg was killed in a collision between two trains. Wuennenberg was the first fatality in the history of the Walt Disney World monorail system.

In September, the park’s monorail system experienced an electrical short at a control booth that shut down some parts of the transportation system. About 25 guests were affected briefly in that incident, until a tractor

Disney Monorail: Walt Disney World monorail system power outage strands riders for hours | TheDailyDisney.com from OrlandoSentinel.com

The monorail was brought to a standstill by a failed hard drive in the computer system that runs the 15-mile long transportation system. The monorail lost power to its beam.

So the power failure was caused by a hard drive problem. :blink:

Make senses. I thought I read somewhere that WDW has its own power generation equipment for the monorail to protect against local power outages.

I do know that RCFD trains regularly for just such an incident. Some of their fire equipment was designed and purchased with monorail “rescues” in mind.

We had just left that morning after having breakfast at Chef Mickey’s. I had commented that the MK was open until 1am. We had a long drive home and at midnight we were stuck on the interstate for three hours for a tractor trailor wreck at a tunnel. I thought we were having a rough night, but I guess it could have been worse! I can’t imagine having to climb down a ladder from the monorail track. I wonder which part of track it was? Some of that track is pretty far off the ground.

Climbing down a ladder wouldn’t bug me at all. I would just be yet another experience at Disney that I could spend years talking about. I think the hard part would be trying to get a 2 year old down the ladder late at night but I’m sure they had people helping them. Not like trying to get out of a building that’s on fire. So I guess just take you time and follow what they’re telling you. Although now that I think about it the worse thing would be if you had to pee!:eek: I will have to remember next time to take a bathroom break before getting on. :blush:

Very true a couple of hours on a monorail needing the ladies/mens room would be painful.

Well, there’s that and more importantly, there’s no ventilation without power.
Sure, there are those itty bitty windows at both ends of the cars, but you’re not going to get any airflow with the trains stationary.
Plus, evacuation of some passengers is through the roof escape hatches.

I thought they had a diesel pusher that could “rescue” trains that got stranded?

I wonder if there were lights on the trains during the stay.

Just another issue for the anti-monorail crowd to use…

[QUOTE=tigger;1008458]I thought they had a diesel pusher that could “rescue” trains that got stranded?

I wonder if there were lights on the trains during the stay.

Just another issue for the anti-monorail crowd to use…[/QUOTE]

I thought 2 of the trains were towed and the other was completely stranded. I would guess that having multiple disabled trains limits what the tow-train can do (can’t go past one disabled train to get to another)

I’m no computer person at all, but wouldn’t you think they would have a back up for the hard drive. All I envision is disconnecting the bad hard drive, and replacing it with it’s backup. How could that take three hours?

The RCFD ladder truck has a platform at the end, so you don’t have to climb down the ladder. Not that that would make being stuck for 3 hours significantly better. :eek:

My friend was on one of these monorails and he said they were stuck on there for a couple hours. He also said CMs were there when they were getting off giving out comps

Two of the trains were towed back into the station by the auxiliary engine.
And you’re right, they probably were unable to get the engine out to the third train because of where it was in relation to the switches and where the other trains were on the beams.

Well, the trains totally electric and get their only power from the 2nd and 3rd rails on either side of the beam. Cut the power needed to move the trains forward and you also cut the power for ventilation and lights. Even if they did have emergency lights, they couldn’t have been very bright anyway. Think how subdued the normal lighting is at night.