Monte Cristos in WDW?

My DD and SIL are heading to WDW next Friday for a week. Last night, they went to Disneyland to hang out and had dinner at the Cafe Orleans near POTC. My SIL, Ricky, had a three cheese Monte Cristo sandwich that my DD, Leslie, described as “dessert on a plate.” Leslie did not have one as she has been eating healthy and working out in preparation for their trip to the World.

Since she plans on letting loose in Florida, her question is, “Is there anyplace at WDW that serves Monte Cristo sandwiches?” Our family have all been to WDW several times but could not recall ever seeing such a delicacy on the menu of any of the WDW restaurants we’ve been to (and we’ve been to a lot of them :laugh: ).

Leslie suggested I try tapping into the wisdom of the Mousebuzzers. So, help us out here. Anyone ever had a Monte Cristo at WDW, or know if and where one might be located?

Thanks as always for any help and, BTW…go Chargers!!! (I know, I know, it’s a pipe dream, but what the hey!)

YUM!! i just had a monte cristo for lunch today (at Cheddars, it’s soooo good)!! how funny you asked about it today! I don’t recall seeing it on any menus, but you may want to browse menus on allears - Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

I don’t think there’s a Monte Cristo available anywhere in WDW that’s the same or an equal to the Monte Cristo served in Disneyland.

As for the Chargers, my prayers and hopes go with them in order that the scourge of the New England Patriots be put out of our mercy.

Mmmmm… I wonder if you can get one at Earl of Sandwich.

The Blue Bayou Monte Cristo:

1 egg
1 3/4 cups plus two tablespoons water
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
8 slices egg bread (challah works well) sliced 1/2 inch thick
2/3 pound ham cut into 4 pieces
2/3 pound turkey cut into 4 slices
1/4 pound Swiss cheese cut into 4 slices
3 cups canola oil
confectioner’s sugar
blackberry preserves

1. Line cookie sheet with paper towels, set aside
  2. Whisk the egg and water together in mixing bowl. Add flour, salt, and baking powder and whisk thoroughly .scraping side of bowl. Continue to whisk for 20 minutes, until smooth (I think I’d get the hand mixer)
  3. On one slice of bread arrange a slice each of ham, turkey, and cheese, covering the bread evenly. Place another slice of bread on top and slice the sandwich in half diagonally.
  4. Heat oil to 365-375 degrees F in a 10 inch pan. Do not let oil reach a higher temp than this, if the oil starts smoking, turn the heat down. Dip half the sandwich in the batter, allowing excess to drain, and then carefully place in the heated oil. Repeat with other half of sandwich. Cook three minutes on each side. Place cooked sandwich on the prepared cookie sheet in a warm oven until ready to serve. Repeat for the other three sandwiches. Cook sandwiches one at a time, and allow the oil to reach the desired temp between each batch.
  5. Sprinkle sandwiches with confectioner’s sugar and serve with blackberry preserves on the side.

Yields 4 sandwiches

I don’t know if Earl makes them like this.

(You guys are going to love this)
(This is for Daisee)
I don’t see anything like the above recipe on this menu:

Hot Sandwiches
Fresh Made to Order on our Artesian Baked Loaf

All Hot Sandwiches $5.75 each

The Original 1762 - fresh roasted beef, cheddar and creamy horseradish sauce

Beef n’ Bleu - roast beef, bleu cheese, lettuce and tomato

The Earl’s Club - roast turkey, bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce and tomato

The All American - roast turkey, buttermilk ranch, cranberries, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato.

Hawaiian BBQ - ham, grilled chicken, Hawaiian BBQ sauce, Swiss cheese and pineapple

Cannonballs - meatballs, marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese

The Scuddeto - salami, capicola, ham, mortadella, mozzarella, and Roma tomatoes. Peppers optional.

Tuna Melt - albacore tuna salad and melted Swiss cheese

The Full Montagu - roast beef and turkey with cheddar and Swiss cheese, romaine lettuce, tomato and mustard sauce

Le Frenchy - ham with creamy French brie and dijonnaise sauce

The Caprese - sliced fresh mozzarella, roma tomatos, fresh basil and drizzled virgin olive oil

The Florentine - grilled chicken, creamed spinach, mushrooms and parmesan cheese

Caribbean Jerk Chicken - grilled chicken, roasted red and hot banana peppers with a spicy jerk sauce

The Ultimate Grilled Cheese � Combination of Swiss, Brie and Bleu Cheese with applewood bacon and Roma tomatoes

Ham and Swiss � Ham with aged Swiss cheese and dressed with a Dijon mustard sauce
Best BLT - Applewood bacon, lettuce, Roma tomatoes and seasoned mayonnaise

Holy Cow! I’d hate to think of the calories in that!:pinch:

Give me the Original at EoS anyday! Heavy on the horseradish sauce!

I googled it, and there are so many sites that lament the passing of Magic Kingdom’s Tahitian Terace, where they used to serve Monte Cristos… one site even mentioned that they had pineapple juice in the batter! Wonder why they got rid of something that so many people seemed to love…

Anyway, I wanted to say that the EoS sandwiches are incredibly good, especailly the Beef & Bleu. But if you happen to be at Hollywood Studios and you are craving a great sandwich, try the Cuban Sandwich from the ABC Commissary! I love it! It looks really pathetic and tastes so yummy!!!

:wub: :wub: I love this sandwich more than life itself.

I just want to apologize on behalf of the Walt Disney World Resort for not having food anywhere NEAR the quality (or yummyness) to that of Disneyland.

It sucks, I know. I’d vacation in Disneyland over WDW based on food alone. :laugh:

Ohhhh! I tried that sandwich last trip - it was REALLY good! Thanks for reminding me!:happy:

I have that Cuban nearly every trip! It’s good, definately hits the spot when you get a hankering for a good warm sandwich. I’d suggest that one too.

NOTHING like the good ol’ DL Monte Cristo though.

That sounds so yummo!!! I will be making a low fat version of this for dinner this week though… close as I am going to get!

I have only had the All American… that is a MUST for my next trip. We may have to eat there more than once, so I can try something new!

HEY!! That’s my favorite Earl order! :wub:

The EoS Ultimate Grilled Cheese is really really good!

Well, you know what they say about twins.:happy: (I wonder if it would be Clive’s favourite too?:confused: ):laugh:

Wow, i just plowed through the menus and did not find one monte cristo sandwich listed at any restaurant. Many Reuben’s but no Monte Cristo. Figured that one of the hotels that had a restaurant open for lunch would have it.

I have no idea how good it is but I found
a Monte Christo on the menu at Bennigans
Grille. Its a chain, and there are a few in the
Orlando area.

Franco, nice heads up, but I really think the person who started this thread is Jonesing for a Blue Bayou Monte Cristo.