More on that 1.5 billion spent

Disney must win over wary fans to make MyMagic+ work - OrlandoSentinel.com

Uggg…I don’t see where this is in “my best interest” as the article states…I am not looking forward to being forced into this at all—and I am sure it’s a go–they won’t back down now.

Good idea for people who like to plan ahead and make reservations for meals etc…bad idea for those of us who want to wait until we arrive to see how the crowd flow is and plan our days accordingly.

Many is the time that we have arrived at a park and left to go to another not so crowded. I hate the idea of being stuck in a park because I had to plan weeks or even months ahead on what day and time to ride a ride :crying:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1136975]Uggg…I don’t see where this is in “my best interest” as the article states…I am not looking forward to being forced into this at all—and I am sure it’s a go–they won’t back down now.

Good idea for people who like to plan ahead and make reservations for meals etc…bad idea for those of us who want to wait until we arrive to see how the crowd flow is and plan our days accordingly.

Many is the time that we have arrived at a park and left to go to another not so crowded. I hate the idea of being stuck in a park because I had to plan weeks or even months ahead on what day and time to ride a ride :crying:[/QUOTE]

not to mention weather and ride malfunctions etc…how about a dining reservation that was for 7:00PM and you don’t get seated until 7:35PM…a lot of small things can and do go wrong…

You have until 7 days out to order your bands, that will be available for at home delivery or resort pick-up. I was told you can update the bands through my Disney experience up to 24 hours in advance. The CM said everything is subject to change during the test period, until they get all the feedback from the tester families.

I’m really hoping that someone in the Parks next month is going to stop and ask me to answer a survey about this - cause I’ll tell them exactly what I think about it.:happy: I hope it fails miserably. What a waste of money!

I agree. I’m wary of the whole thing. I’m okay with the wristband over the card pass, but I’m an AP, so does that even matter to me? The whole plan my trip out in advance thing sounds really terrible. It’s like they took FastPass, a great idea, and ruined it by taking it too far.

Just logged on and ordered my Band. I was also able to pick some attractions for FPes for my arrival day which I would not have been able to do that day otherwise. I was also able to pick them for each day and schedule them around my evening parks when I normally wouldn’t even bother with attractions. I still intend to be on hand for park open and do all the same stuff when FPes are hardly needed unless you are slow or stop every two minutes for a stupid break. I have already seen the full advantage of this system and intend to have some fun with it.

OK - you know me and you know that if I even started thinking like that, my head would start to ache and I’d have to go lie down. I don’t know what I’m doing my first day there - I don’t know when I’ll even get there - or maybe because we’ll still have the rental car we’ll decide to go to Universal or shopping…I don’t know what I’m going to do in the next 15 minutes! I’ve just spent an hour agonizing over whether to return a pair of pants I just bought! And I changed my mind 15 times in that hour! I just want Disney to leave me alone to enjoy the parks the way I want to. My life is way too complicated as it is.

I feel bad for those who like a lot of spontaneity, but for someone like me this is shaping up to be helpful.

Maybe I just don’t understand it, but from what I can see on the youtube videos of those who have been picked from the trials, it allows for some changing if you end up in a jam with time. It seemed to expedite checkout at restaurants. (Although that could change when they do the full roll-out and you are talking 10s of thousands using this system). I also really liked how they greeted each person by name. I know that bugs some people because of the collection of information, but I think it makes it feel like home.

I just keep remembering how overwhelming the whole FP thing was to me in general in 2005 before I had ever been to a park. People would try to explain it to me and I felt overwhelmed and anxious about how that would affect our trip. I read complaints from people who considered it “Budging” in line. Yet when we got there I discovered it was the greatest thing ever.

I’m looking forward to seeing Dana’s review on how the system works. Until then, I am expecting it to be a positive addition to our WDW vacation. With how crowded the parks have become in recent years, even during the “Slow” season, maybe this will help a little with crowd control and efficiency.

Plus, now we have one more package to look forward to coming in the weeks before our trip! Woo-Hoo!!

[QUOTE=jen9804;1137023]

I just keep remembering how overwhelming the whole FP thing was to me in general in 2005 before I had ever been to a park. People would try to explain it to me and I felt overwhelmed and anxious about how that would affect our trip. I read complaints from people who considered it “Budging” in line. Yet when we got there I discovered it was the greatest thing ever.!![/QUOTE]

This is my point. Imagine if you’ve never been to WDW and there you are, sitting in your living room and you are faced with choosing Fastpasses - which you have a glimmering of understanding about, but not really - for attractions you’ve never been on - which are spaced out between 4 different parks - and a lot of people are still thinking those parks are next door to each other and you can walk from one to another. I foresee a lot of people standing in the middle of the Animal Kingdom with fastpasses to Soarin’ , going…“well, where is it?”:blink:

Now, if you are a Disney fanatic like us, you’ll probably be fine. If you are a newbie, excited about your first trip, you will do all your homework, read everything you possibly can and STILL be overwhelmed when you get there. Then, what about the people who don’t know a thing about WDW, who have a vague idea that Dumbo lives there somewhere… (and they’re probably the majority)… trying to figure out this system. They are going to be so confused their heads will be spinning.-

Then there are people like me - and lots of others here - who’ve been to WDW countless times - who regard it as their “home” where they go to unwind and relax, and aren’t in a mad panic to race from attraction to attraction - but find, when they do decide to do Expedition Everest - that the line-ups - which have always been long - are now ridiculously so because of this new “system”. They (including me) aren’t going to be happy and they (including me) are thinking - hey, Disney, we’re your loyal fans. We’re the ones you depend on. The ones who buy DVC and APs. The ones who return every year. We’ve earned the right not to have to plan to the nano-second cause we already know where every washroom in the World is located. What about us?

Sorry for the rant - and I truly hope that I’m wrong and this new system is going to be a great improvement - but I really feel strongly about this. If what I fear comes to pass, then we’ll be rethinking our future Disney plans.

[QUOTE=llama;1137025] I foresee a lot of people standing in the middle of the Animal Kingdom with fastpasses to Soarin’ , going…“well, where is it?”:blink

.[/QUOTE]

You actually pick the park first then choose the fps from that particular park. It doesn’t seem to consider park hoppers.

So if you were going to AK then you would only get to pick from that particular parks fps for that day.

…you and I need to just sit down with a nice cup of tea and commiserate on this together—:happy:

…as I keep saying…this will not benefit me and my family at all…I would love to have someone explain to me how it will help me in the long run…it will only mean that since we don’t plan until perhaps the day before…we will not be able to ride anything!!! There will most likely not be many FPs left for those of us who do not want to get them months in advance…

…the system is trying to force us to be who we are not…and I think that is unfair…

The only planning we really do ahead of time, is the room reservation and the airline tickets…that’s the way we would love to keep it…it has worked for us for 25+ years so why force us to change?:confused:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1137030]…you and I need to just sit down with a nice cup of tea and commiserate on this together—:happy:

…as I keep saying…this will not benefit me and my family at all…I would love to have someone explain to me how it will help me in the long run…it will only mean that since we don’t plan until perhaps the day before…we will not be able to ride anything!!! There will most likely not be many FPs left for those of us who do not want to get them months in advance…

…the system is trying to force us to be who we are not…and I think that is unfair…

The only planning we really do ahead of time, is the room reservation and the airline tickets…that’s the way we would love to keep it…it has worked for us for 25+ years so why force us to change?:confused:[/QUOTE]

I’ll bring the Earl Grey - you put the kettle on!:happy:

“Leave me alone Disney! I don’t need your help - I don’t want your help. I want to enjoy your parks in my own way. I don’t need more rules and more timetables in my life. Thank you.”

Llama,

I totally see your point. I really do. Spontaneity seems like it will be out the window, at least when it comes to FP. I see how it makes those who have gone to WDW for years feel apprehensive because they can see the peaceful, spontaneous vacation they are used to slipping away. I also see your point when it comes to new visitors.

But, with the implementation of the new system, what if we discover that it actually improves general flow throughout the parks. For example, when you go to DHS, there are some days where you have to open the park in order to even have a chance at a FP for TSM. The entire crowd practically runs to that attraction to grab their FPs. There is some stress involved in accidentally waking up late one day and missing out on this great attraction. What if part of the reason for the change is that current trends lead Disney to believe that the size of crowds is going to soon outgrow the current FP system?

I don’t know. My initial reaction was dismay when I first heard about it, but I am liking some of what I am seeing coming out of the trial. I was starting to feel a little dismayed anyway, without the MyMagic+ part of the equation, because the parks feel generally more busy and lines feel longer in the past few years. I am just hoping that the changes that Disney is making right now are a result of looking ahead and trying to troubleshoot future crowd-control problems before they arise.

I am taking a wait and see attitude.much like them changing the bakery to starbucks. I have no control.

This is whatever you make it. If you wake up that day and decide that you shall go to AK that day, you log on your phone/ipad/whatever and pick aK. You will then pick some rides you would like a fast pass for and on top of that they give your FOUR choice in which order and times to do them. No one has to get up on the 180th day and log on and do all this crap… There is no major planning in advance unless you want it to be. Imagine the possibility of maybe taking it a little slow that day and logging on and picking a few attraction for that night to get a FP for…yeah, this is a winner no matter which way you “do” disney world.

Sounds great

i’m looking forward to being greeted by the characters by name someday. and have a cool bracelet. i hardly ever use fast passes so none of that really matters to me.

Do you think there is a pretty good chance when they roll it out for everyone that some of the big attractions - mine train, Toy Story, EE, etc - will be available same day, or do you think they will eventually start to cap out. I’m not sure what the volume of riders is comparaed to the capacity, so I’m curious.

Like I said, for a family that tours like we do and who has been there multiple times, I really think this is going to be positive for us. I’m just curious what you are hearing from others in the industry regarding how this will affect lines for the major attractions.

…you have made some good points, however, will there be time slots available the day before or the day of for those of us who plan as we go…I am afraid that even if they “save” aside some last minute FP slots, we will be pushed back farther and farther again to have to get those.

…I still don’t see the advantage to this for my get up and just go touring plan…at best—my type of guest will just be standing in the long waiting lines for everything…because all the FPs will be gone…

Now, if they would put a kiosk in every resort where you can check for FPs when you get up—that would help. That way, we could go to breakfast and see what’s available where—and then decide on the park to go to based on that…that would also give advantage to those staying on property…