More Tips, Taxes and Charges!

I’m confused.
Really confused.
I booked a few ADR’s several nights ago and the chap said to me “as there are six of you in your party, an 18% service charge will automatically be added, but don’t worry, that will all be taken care of on the Dining Plan”
Tonight I made a few more ADR’s and this time I got a lady and she said to me "as there are six of you in your party, an 18% service charge will automatically be added, but this won’t be covered by your Dining Plan, you have to pay that extra.:eek:
See why I’m confused?
Who is right?
Can any of you who have been in a party of six or more tell me who is right?
If the girl is right, then this Dining Plan’s gonna be very expensive.

Gratuities are NOT included on the dining plan. They used to be included several years ago.

If you have 6 or more in your party you will be automatically charged an 18% gratuity at any of the table service or buffet restaurants. That amt is not incl in your DDP but to be honest i’m curious as well how that does get paid since we’ve only DDP’d with 5 and paid OOP with 6. I mean if your on DDP, when they bring your bill they show how many credits were deducted then you “choose” how much tip to leave, with them “suggesting” an amt. But if it’s “required” are you submitted an actual Bill for the tip?

I think we’re getting two things crossed here.
Regardless of who is or isn’t on the dining plan, if there are 6 people at the table you will be charged an automatic 18% tip.
There are some price fixed meals where the tip is already included, but I’m too lazy to look them up and list them.

Then there’s what used to be called “Disney Dining Experience” or DDE that is now called Tables In Wonderland. This is a membership card that gives diners 20% off their entire bill, but automatically adds an 18% tip.
Maybe the one person she talked to was confusing the two.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1066969]I think we’re getting two things crossed here.
Regardless of who is or isn’t on the dining plan, if there are 6 people at the table you will be charged an automatic 18% tip.
There are some price fixed meals where the tip is already included, but I’m too lazy to look them up and list them.

Then there’s what used to be called “Disney Dining Experience” or DDE that is now called Tables In Wonderland. This is a membership card that gives diners 20% off their entire bill, but automatically adds an 18% tip.
Maybe the one person she talked to was confusing the two.[/QUOTE]

Right. But how are you charged for that since it’s “required” and not optional. Do they just give you a BILL for the tip instead of a ticket showing total, how much was deducted and suggested tip info?

In other words if you had a party of 5 and wanted to leave cash on the table instead of on your tic you’d just sign off on the tic and go. But if it’s 6, would it be done as an extra charge similar to purchasing an app or alcohol beverage?

I think they automatically charge your KTTW card. We never set out card up for charging so we always use cash.

We try to always tip with cash too. Just trying to figure out if you have 6+ and don’t order any extras does your bill have a balance due after deducting your meal for tips, the same as if you did order extras?
We’ve only done DDP a couple of times because our resort doesn’t qualify but DSIL likes going with us now which puts us at 6 and she loves the DxDP so i’m just trying to get my bearings on the program for future stays.
Thanks for all the help everyone:wink:

OK, thanks for that.
Looks like the first guy did get it wrong then, which I think is pretty bad.
So, we pay $3,000 for Disney Dining Plan for 6 people for 16 nights, and because its high season, we have to pay $5 per person (adults) which is anyone over 9, so $30 in total at each full service meal as a surcharge for high season, PLUS 18% tax! Hardly worth paying the $3,000 really.
If you divide $3,000 over 16 nights, that equates to about $187.50 a day on the DDP towards our daily meals, which is probably good value since we can get a snack, a counter service meal and a full service meal from that for 6 people, but not exceptional. In UK pounds that is about £117 per day, so still a lot of money. (I could almost do my whole weekly grocery shop on that). So say we spend $200 one night in a restaurant, we have to pay an extra $30 in seasonal surcharge, PLUS an extra 18% tax, which is another $36. So $66 a night extra, even though we’ve already paid $3,000!!! Incredible. I better start budgeting for at least £40 a night in surcharges I think. Disney have you over a barrell.
I’d be very interested to know how they will charge me if anyone knows. I won’t have any special cards with me, only my credit card or cash. I guess I could just take $30 or so to the restaurant with me in cash each night? How would they deal with that do you think?

From what it sounds like, you should not be paying that $5 per person, per meal out of pocket (or is this per day, not per meal?). That should be charged up front as part of your original reservation.
As for the tip, that 18% tip is pretty much expected because they do not pay restaurant waiters the minimum wage. Their salary is very dependent on tips, unlike many places in Europe. The reason that it is enforced on large parties is that throughout the restaurant industry, it is well known that on large parties, many waiters are not tipped properly.
Also, in many restaurants, the waiters are expected to share their tips with the bus boys and kitchen staff.
I have to ask, do you have the regular dining plan with one sit down meal, one counter meal, and one snack or do you have the deluxe dining plan with three sit down meals and two snacks?
You also keep referring to a “tax” and the only tax is the 6.5% sales tax on your meal. That is covered on your entree, dessert, and beverage. If you have the deluxe dining plan, it also covers your appetizer’s sales tax.
The tip is not a tax, and it is not a penalty. The tip is a gratuity for service. IF your meal and your service is THAT bad, you should complain to the restaurant manager and protest the automatic 18% tip.
I would very strongly suggest that you start studying menus at All Ears (Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World) so that you become familiar with the prices.

A standard sit down meal with entree, dessert, and beverage will cost around $30 with tax. A standard burger, fries, drink, and dessert at a quick serve counter will cost around $13 with tax. A snack will cost a minimum of $2.50 (tax is often included).
As you can see, your average daily food budget per person, out of pocket and not factoring the tip at a sit down restaurant is $45.50. Multiply that by 6 and your would be paying $273 every day plus the 18% tip on that sit down meal ($32.40) and you would be paying a little more than $300 a day anyway.

During “enhanced holiday seasons” everyone pays about $4 more per person at all of the buffet meals (this means character and no character all you can eat buffet and family style service restaurants) if they are paying out of pocket. I have not heard of extra charges at the full service/ala carte menu places.

[QUOTE=Lindat;1066985]
I’d be very interested to know how they will charge me if anyone knows. I won’t have any special cards with me, only my credit card or cash. I guess I could just take $30 or so to the restaurant with me in cash each night? How would they deal with that do you think?[/QUOTE]

They will give you a bill at the end of the meal. The portion of the DDP will be taken off and a balance of your meals for the DDP will show at the bottom of the receipt. The other items (alcholic beverages, tip, appetizers, etc.) which are not covered by DDP will remain as a charge. You can choose to pay as you wish (credit card, KTTW card, cash) just as you would pay OOP.

You can attach a credit card to your Key to the World (KTTW) card which will allow you to pay for items through out your stay. The Key to the World card has your room key, park tickets, and credit card (if you choose) linked to it. It makes it so you don’t have to carry around multiple cards everywhere you go.

One other thing. If you attach a credit card to your KTTW card they do not charge the credit card everytime you make a charge. They keep a running tally of the total charges. Once those charges reach a certain amount they will process it through the credit card company. You can go to the front desk at anytime and pay off the charges with cash before it reaches the limit and they will not charge your card. If you don’t reach the limit during your stay they will not charge your card until after you check out. The limit is different at every hotel level, just ask the front desk when you check-in what that limit is.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1067015]From what it sounds like, you should not be paying that $5 per person, per meal out of pocket (or is this per day, not per meal?). That should be charged up front as part of your original reservation.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly!! That seasonal charge ($5 per person per day) is already included in the $3000 you have spent on the Dining Plan.

The ONLY things you have to pay out of pocket for is gratuity and if you order anything that is not covered on your dining plan, like adult beverages.

I hate that someone has confused you!! It’s really quiet simple, it just seems like it wasn’t explained to you very well. Luckily when you do dine, they will explain what you get and what is not included.

Thanks. Its slowly becoming clear as mud, ha ha.
I have a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney World, 2011, so it’s bang up to date and it states this:
“The full-service meal includes the buffet, a non-alcoholic drink and tax” so that was also confusing." Obviously they are referring to sales tax and not any other charges.
Re. the $5 supplement, the book states this:
“Disney adds a surcharge of $4 per adult … to certain popular restaurants during weeks of peak attendance … from mid June to mid-August… Not to be left out, folks on the Disney Dining plan pay their own special surcharge - $5 for adults and $1 for kids during peak times - and at every restaurant on the plan!”
So I do have a sinking feeling that we will indeed pay an extra $30 for our party at each and every restaurant we choose to eat from whilst we eat during that peak season, plus that 18% enforced tip, so be warned everyone, it truly is not cheap using the DDP!

[QUOTE=Lindat;1067051]Thanks. Its slowly becoming clear as mud, ha ha.
I have a copy of the Unofficial Guide to Disney World, 2011, so it’s bang up to date and it states this:
“The full-service meal includes the buffet, a non-alcoholic drink and tax” so that was also confusing." Obviously they are referring to sales tax and not any other charges.
Re. the $5 supplement, the book states this:
“Disney adds a surcharge of $4 per adult … to certain popular restaurants during weeks of peak attendance … from mid June to mid-August… Not to be left out, folks on the Disney Dining plan pay their own special surcharge - $5 for adults and $1 for kids during peak times - and at every restaurant on the plan!”
So I do have a sinking feeling that we will indeed pay an extra $30 for our party at each and every restaurant we choose to eat from whilst we eat during that peak season, plus that 18% enforced tip, so be warned everyone, it truly is not cheap using the DDP![/QUOTE]

This has to be new? I can’t say I have ever heard of a surcharge, or ever paid a surcharge. I know the 18% tip is for larger parties so that wouldn’t apply to us anyway. I know it wasn’t being done last year so maybe there has been a change brought in? But even if there is a $5.00 charge the DDP is very good value for money if you are eating on property/resort/park as we find the DDP saves us hundreds of dollars during our stay.

From our “planning” experience the majority of the places that have an obvious seasonal hike appear to be the buffets/all u can eat type where they expect more traffic to burrow through than usual. Most TS we’ve eaten at, or researched menus on the prices were the same in July as Oct.

Please see below how the peak season charge is already added to the price of your Dining Plan. As I stated before, the only things you will pay for will be the gratuity and any item that you order that is not covered on the Dining Plan. You will not be charged $5 per person per meal.

Basic Dining Plan
Adults
$45.99 (regular season)
$47.99 (peak season*)
Children
$11.99 (regular season)
$12.99 (peak season*)

*Peak Seasons: 2/17/11 - 2/26/11, 3/11/11 - 4/30/11, 6/3/11 - 8/13/11,12/23/11 - 12/31/11

Oh, I see what you mean. Aha, that’s looking better.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
So I really have already paid for that anyway. Thank goodness for that.
OK, I can cope with them putting an 18% tip on my bill now.
Phew!

[QUOTE=Lindat;1067085]Oh, I see what you mean. Aha, that’s looking better.
Thank you for clarifying that for me.
So I really have already paid for that anyway. Thank goodness for that.
OK, I can cope with them putting an 18% tip on my bill now.
Phew![/QUOTE]

But just to make sure… Send WDW an email and ask for an answer in writing. If it is included keep a copy w/ you on your trip and if a crazy charge is added show them the note and have it removed. Mistakes do happen, even at Disney. They just talk in a pleasant manner if you question a bill.