More Unfavourable Press for Disney

The article doesn’t put Disney in a very good light, unfortunately.

11-year-old girl molested on Disney Dream; Disney Cruise Line doesn’t report incident promptly
by Leah Zanolla
May 20, 2013

WKMG-6 of Orlando broke the story of a 33-year-old Disney Cruise Line (DCL) member allegedly molesting an 11-year-old girl back in August while on board the Disney Dream. According to the story, the incident happened on August 5 in an elevator before the ship had even pulled away from Port Canaveral; the cruise line reportedly did not reveal the incident until the next day. Last week, DCL said the crime was reported to the police right away, but changed the story after speaking with WKMG and Port Canaveral authorities. The cruise line said other employees did not know about the incident until the next day; on August 5, they claim to only have known that a child was “made to feel uncomfortable.” The investigation by Local 6 states that they have seen a confidential DCL security incident report, which appears to make DCL’s statements false.

In the report, security began investigating the molestation (called an “inappropriate sexual act” in the report) on August 5 at 3:22 pm. The girl’s report to security officers was that “the man had repeatedly grabbed her breast through her clothes and forcibly kissed her on the mouth as he corned her in an elevator on the Disney Dream.”

Joseph Hellebrand, Port Canaveral police chief, said that if his department had known about the attack, “We would have sent an officer aboard the ship, we would have notified the detective, we would have interviewed the family, the victim, the suspect and if warranted, arrested the dining room server.” The police have the right to go aboard any ship to investigate if the crime happens within 1,000 feet of its shoreline. Disney Cruise Line claims to have taken proper action in dealing with the incident.

Security footage from onboard the ship shows the girl and her grandmother heading to file a report at Guest Services only eight minutes after the incident; security investigation began at 3:22 pm. At 3:57 pm, he girl took the security officer to the elevator to show her where the cast member encountered her. The officer made note of the girl being uncomfortable as they were in the location. After reviewing the footage, the security officer confirmed that the girl’s story was correct. The video was shown at 4:48 pm to a dining manager, who identified the crew member as Milton Braganza of India. The ship pulled out of port at 5:02 pm. Braganza was not pulled aside until 7:50 pm. He was then removed from duty and questioned again on August 6 and August 7 in Nassau, where the Bahamian police took over the investigation. He admitted to the police, “I touched her on her right breast with my left hand.”

Ultimately, the grandmother decided to not pursue charges and wanted the investigation stopped. Chief Hellebrand said if the Florida police had known about the crime, charges would have been filed, even against the grandmother’s wishes. The act is considered a lewd or lascivious molestation of a child under 12 and is a felony. If convicted, the crime would warrant 25 years to life in prison.

I wonder why the grandmother didn’t want to press charges??

Even though I feel Disney is totally wrong in how they handled this, and that anyone from the ship involved should be taken out to sea and thrown overboard, that is the biggest question of them all.

Are we not getting everything from grandma?
Does she know something else?

Sometimes victims that have been attacked feel that if they don’t follow through on it, it will go away mentally and emotionally to the point of eventually “it never happened”. It’s their way of coping with it.
Maybe grandma didn’t want the fact that it happened known to the public.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1133885]Even though I feel Disney is totally wrong in how they handled this, and that anyone from the ship involved should be taken out to sea and thrown overboard, that is the biggest question of them all.

Are we not getting everything from grandma?
Does she know something else?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that this is the case. I saw the tape and it’s pretty self-evident what occurred. At the point of viewing the tape the onus was on Disney to immediately do the right thing - and they didn’t. If the authorities had been called at Port Canaveral, he would have been arrested and charged, whether the grandmother pressed charges or not. She did do the correct thing in reporting the incident immediately to Disney. She certainly wasn’t hiding anything. Also, they were Brazillian - so I can understand that she probably didn’t want to get involved with the American authorities and an American court case and didn’t want police questioning her granddaughter. Like Mickeybug said - she probably just wanted it all to go away for the sake of her granddaughter. I do hope that they will get the little girl some counselling. What a terrible thing to happen to her.

Unfortunately, another reminder that bad people can be everywhere, even at Disney.

What’s crazy is that it all occurred in the hallway/elevator with the door wide open.

There are cameras EVERYWHERE on the ship. What would an employee that knows this be thinking?

Once it was reported, and tapes reviewed, DCL security SHOULD have immediately walked the pervert to the gangway if they were actually still in port at that time. If not they should have notified US authorities who could have met the ship and after local police arrested him then bring him back to face charges.

This will cost DCL some money. Guessing that the family was/will be very well treated.

Why would he? Who knows.

As much as I hate to pull this card (because it doesn’t apply to all in that area) but in a few cultures, India being one of those females are raped and degraded regardless of age in masses on a daily basis and NOTHING is done to the men because women have no rights and there’s no fear of consequences.

No, I will pull that card. It could have very well been a cultural thing and how he was raised to believe. Or he could just be a freak.:mad:

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1133915]Why would he? Who knows.

As much as I hate to pull this card (because it doesn’t apply to all in that area) but in a few cultures, India being one of those females are raped and degraded regardless of age in masses on a daily basis and NOTHING is done to the men because women have no rights and there’s no fear of consequences.

No, I will pull that card. It could have very well been a cultural thing and how he was raised to believe. Or he could just be a freak.:mad:[/QUOTE]

I think you have a point, but will counter that point with he’s employed by an American company and knows dang well his behavior is unacceptable.

And deserves to be forced to walk the plank. They could do a Capt Jack revival at sea. That would get the guests amped up!!!:laugh:

YES!:laugh:

You know this is scary. My sister is thinking of taking her kids on a Disney Cruise next year and I pretty much convinced her that she NEEDS to utilize the kids club, drop them off and have Mommy and Daddy time. Now it makes you think twice of letting them out of your sight. :frowning:

I love Disney and the staff was really nice when we went on our cruise, but I am not a huge fan of cruising because it is very hard to get everything done correctly if you have a crime happen. I was very happy to have my children with me on the cruise. I didn’t mind that Florie wasn’t a fan of the kids club and Andrew was to small for it and did go to the nursery for a couple of hours but I was on the ship and in contact with them during that time.

I’m sure that they’ll be completely safe in the kids clubs. This little girl wasn’t in a club - she was going to ride the elevator; something, I, personally wouldn’t allow an 11 year old to do - but you’d be surprised how many people would. There was a huge discussion on the Cruise Critic Board about this incident and I was amazed how many people were on the side of “you have to let your children go and learn from their experiences.” I’m sure now that this has come out Disney is going to be ultra careful.

[QUOTE=llama;1134085]I’m sure that they’ll be completely safe in the kids clubs. This little girl wasn’t in a club - she was going to ride the elevator; something, I, personally wouldn’t allow an 11 year old to do - but you’d be surprised how many people would. There was a huge discussion on the Cruise Critic Board about this incident and I was amazed how many people were on the side of “you have to let your children go and learn from their experiences.” I’m sure now that this has come out Disney is going to be ultra careful.[/QUOTE

When we were at Epcot last week, we went on Mission Space. Another family, 2 adults and 4 kids, were also going on. My DH and I had two of the family in our “space ship”. The boys were about 8 ish. We thought it was odd that the parents stayed together in one spaceship and sent the kids into an enclosed space with strangers. As a parent, it just felt weird for them to do that.

I have been in the ladies room multiple times when a little girl 5 or 6 co
mes in by herself.this is not disney that is responsible iif parents dont act like parents

You’re right about that, Disney will now be a lot more stringent with everything. Just a little scary. Whenihavemy niece and nephew they are NEVER out of my sight. I don’t hover but they’re never out of my sight.

Reminds me of when I moved into my house. The neighbors had twin, 4 years old. These kids saw me and decided I needed to be their new best friend, they came over to my house all the time, and always wanted to come in, every time I told them NO! They don’t know me and I didn’t know their parents. I don’t have kids of my own and they had never seen my niece and nephew, so they had no business being over at my house. I was amazed that the parents were so free with letting their kids come over to my house.