Music rights... THEY STOLE HI HO

Has anyone seen the new Hershey commercials? They stole the Hi HO, HI Ho, It’s off to work we go… from Snow White. I did a double take when I heard it… You can look it up under new commercials on the hershey website.
Ok, I don’t know if they stole it but I sure hope that some lawyers were involved in the making of that commercial.

(On a side note, when we are planning our trip… we sing : Hi Ho, Hi Ho, To disney world we go…) It is so much fun.

It REALLY freaked me out when I went to a school fund-raiser at Chuck E. Cheese & everyone that worked there was wishing people; “Have a magical day!” Ewww. :glare:

Now that’s just WRONG!!:pinch:

All of the above is very WRONG.

I haven’t seen that commercial yet…

But, on the flip side, Disney “stole” the music for the YOAMD commercials from the somewhat recent, live-action Peter Pan film. I’d like to think they had some lawyers involved with that one…

One good turn deserves another I guess?

[QUOTE=Screever;929967]I haven’t seen that commercial yet…

But, on the flip side, Disney “stole” the music for the YOAMD commercials from the somewhat recent, live-action Peter Pan film. I’d like to think they had some lawyers involved with that one…

One good turn deserves another I guess?[/QUOTE]

The people who did the live action must be partnered with Disney or it wouldn’t have been made…the song is fair game in that case.

As for the Hersey commercial…they had permission…they aren’t that stupid.

[QUOTE=Dana;930061]The people who did the live action must be partnered with Disney or it wouldn’t have been made…the song is fair game in that case.

As for the Hersey commercial…they had permission…they aren’t that stupid.[/QUOTE]

The 2003 live action was done by Universal Pictures…anyone can make a Peter Pan film/play, Disney doesn’t own the story! :biggrin: The just own their own interpretation. I would really like to assume there were lawyers involved in the music exchange…

And not to continue thread-jacking, but wasn’t that a great song for the YOAMD commercial? I have the full thing on my ipod. :wub:

[QUOTE=Dana;930061]

As for the Hersey commercial…they had permission…they aren’t that stupid.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. They just pay royalties to use a copyrighted work.

—this is pretty interesting. Hmmmm I remember when a local hospital opened up a new pediatric wing and had an artist paint colorful drawings on the walls for the sick children. There were colorful Mickey’s and Minnies and other disney characters, as well as other childrens characters well known to them from other companies.

Disney made the hospital paint over the disney characters, even though it was obvious that they were not EXACTLY Mickey Minnie etc. I just found that extreme but—business is business. Just thought I would throw that in.

Smallworld

BTW----the other characters such as those from Universal were not a problem with their company and remained.

I just wonder how much Hershey was willing to pay for the song… I would think that Disney would make it very worth their while to lend them rights to a song… You know they didn’t sell them outright.
Obviously, I know that they did not steal it, but I was stunned at the song. I did a double take at the tv when I heard it…

Hanwill - so glad you brought it up, because I thought I was crazy the first time I heard it!

I don’t watch commercials, but that is so wrong. When we went to Cedar Point last summer during their night-time show they used HSM music during their presentation. It was not cool.