Musings, and this 'n that

Not a trip report, per se, but I thought I’d just jot down some observations, etc. about our recent trip to WDW and our first stay at Bay Lake Towers, DDPs and wristbands and such…

We were lucky enough to have 9 days at the world and although the weather wasn’t perfect - a day or two of rain - one torrential - we had a great time.

Bay Lake Towers.

• Love it! Love the “grown-up” atmosphere, love the short walk to the MK, love the lounge and viewing area for fireworks! Love the contemporary furnishings. Didn’t love that the bathroom sink and the kitchen share the same space - but apparently they are rectifying this.

• I seriously don’t know what people would waste points on a “Castle” view - because every “Castle” view also includes the parking lot, and buses and construction. The lake view are beautiful and you get to watch the charming little Electrical Light Parade every night. A little parade that makes no sense at all (which drove Neil nuts - everything must make “sense” to him) but so cute. Besides - once you are in the hallways there are vast windows where you can see the castle any time you wish. Save some points - get a lake view.

• Seriously, BLT, you couldn’t include one full-length mirror in the studio suites? (Didn’t check to see if the large suites had one).

• I’m thinking of starting a collection to purchase new suits for the CMs. Disney should be ashamed of themselves - they are the cheapest, most ill-fitting, ugly colour uniforms in all of WDW. They “hang like a cheap suit” - and they are. Dreadful.

• Speaking of CMs - some of the friendliest and most fun we’ve run across - everyone had that “old-fashioned” Disney magic.

• Ok - call me a snob, but it’s fun to be whisked away in the “special” elevator to the top of the Tower. You feel a little special and the drinks and fireworks are great. (If you don’t know DVC members - it’s open to all of us - not just people staying at BLT).

I will be back with my thoughts on the DDP.

Ok I’ll call you a snob, cause I always listen to what you say.

I felt that way the first time I stayed there and the front doors magically opened. It doesn’t matter that grocery stores have been doing that for ages, it just felt special walking home from MK and doors opening on my command. LOL

I thought the sink switch would have been completed by now. I thought they started refitting the studios at least a yr or so ago. We have stayed in the new design studio and it is so much better.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1138825]Ok I’ll call you a snob, cause I always listen to what you say.

I felt that way the first time I stayed there and the front doors magically opened. It doesn’t matter that grocery stores have been doing that for ages, it just felt special walking home from MK and doors opening on my command. LOL

I thought the sink switch would have been completed by now. I thought they started refitting the studios at least a yr or so ago. We have stayed in the new design studio and it is so much better.[/QUOTE]

I guess they’re working their way up - we were on the 14th floor. Don’t know who planned that - but he shouldn’t have passed Design 101.

[QUOTE=llama;1138824]
Bay Lake Towers.

• Love it! Love the “grown-up” atmosphere, love the short walk to the MK, love the lounge and viewing area for fireworks! Love the contemporary furnishings. Didn’t love that the bathroom sink and the kitchen share the same space - but apparently they are rectifying this.[/QUOTE]

BLT is our home resort and it spoiled us. This time we did Kidani/WLV and we missed BLT every second.

Funny, our studio last year did not share a sink between the kitchen and bathroom. We had a sink in each room. We also had a full length mirror in the kitchette area.

We had a theme park view and it was the best view we have ever had. It was on the 12th floor and the doorway to the room lined up perfectly with the castle. The first room’s view was awful so the switched us and comped us $100. I wouldn’t spend the points every time, but I would do it again.

[QUOTE=llama;1138824] I’m thinking of starting a collection to purchase new suits for the CMs. Disney should be ashamed of themselves - they are the cheapest, most ill-fitting, ugly colour uniforms in all of WDW. They “hang like a cheap suit” - and they are. Dreadful.

• Speaking of CMs - some of the friendliest and most fun we’ve run across - everyone had that “old-fashioned” Disney magic.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree on the suits. Not one fits well. We had wonderful CM’s too. Not one bad experience at BLT.

We have already decided next trip to WDW will be at BLT, no question. We are planning on skipping WDW next year and doing Hilton Head and Disneyland, but I intend to book BLT when my window opens so we have it in case we cannot get into HH or DL.

I’m glad to hear you had a good experience at BLT and I can’t waist to read more.

Disney Quick Service Dining Plan

Because we were coming off a cruise, I thought that it would be likely that we wouldn’t want to face food again, so I chose the DQSDP. Now, the nice thing about it was it was all paid for…

But we, alas, have discovered that we are just not Dining Plan people. It’s too much pressure on us and I don’t know what the average WDW appetite is, but we could have gotten by many times with one split entrée (Yak & Yeti comes to mind), but to get our money’s worth we had to both order. We ended up throwing out a lot of food and that bugs the heck out of me! We’re not dessert people either, so after the first day or so we asked for fruit cups or yogurt and ate them for breakfast in the room. Plus, I’m not a fan of eating off paper plates with plastic utensils. All that being said we did discover some good meals. Wolfgang Puck Express offers really good food and at least the utensils are real, though the plates are plastic. We ate there several times. We weren’t that impressed with the new Boulangerie Bakery and it was just like being in France! We were totally ignored, until we used our Canadian French on them. Of course they look sneeringly down on Canadian French, but what can you do? We were hungry. There aren’t enough tables either. Best snack of the trip had to be the Werther’s Carmel Corn - a good sized bag and absolutely delish! We did enjoy all our old favourites - the tuna sandwich at Columbia Harbour House and the Original from Earl of Sandwich. I tried to keep track of the cost to see if you got any sort of bargain- but soon gave up. And I don’t really think you do. They are wily those Disney folks!

When we finally divested ourselves of kids we thought we’d scale down to studio suites, but after this trip we’ve re-thought that. We’re actually people who use the kitchen. I’d rather enjoy one or two great meals in white-cloth restaurants and eat more simple dinners at the resort. We’re happy with cheese, crackers, some good sausage and a bottle of wine on our balcony. But that’s just us. So, I think we’ll be going back to one bedroom suites. Plus I don’t like doing my laundry in the studio laundry facilities, although Dana was right and no one stole my underwear.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you neglected to address the most important issue:

For the love of all that’s good and pure, did Neil have all the right clothes with him?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1138839]Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you neglected to address the most important issue:

For the love of all that’s good and pure, did Neil have all the right clothes with him?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:[/QUOTE]

He DID!:laugh: One day I was wont to tell him that he looked downright preppy and snappy and strutted all around the MK. He has also decided (he had to learn this on his own, he wouldn’t listen to me) that he’s no longer taking his tuxedo on Caribbean cruises. Thank goodness!

[QUOTE=Andrea;1138839]Yeah, yeah, yeah, but you neglected to address the most important issue:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:[/QUOTE]

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Andrea! That was a full out loud laugh! Thanks! I needed that today!!!

phew—good thing—we wouldn’t want you to have to join the ranks of “Mr Tutu” flasher… :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:ohmy: Perish the thought!

For the love of all that’s good and pure, did Neil have all the right clothes with him?[/QUOTE]

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It’s reassuring to know that even in these challenging times, we here on MB are keeping our priorities squarely in order. :flowers:

Thanks for sharing, Llama!

I am not a BLT fan in general but I did really love visiting the TOW Lounge for fireworks. It does make you feel special being whooshed up in the elevator!

Could you tell me where you purchased the Carmel Corn?

I thought we had to stay at BLT to go up there. That is something we will definitely have to take advantage of on our next trip. Thanks for the info!

It started out as BLT only, but about a yr ago, they opened it to other DVC owners. I believe as an attempt to save the lounge. I don’t believe enough BLT people were using the lounge. Don’t know if it’s working or not.

There is a limit to how many people can be up there - did they say 100? - and each time we were up there, there were maybe about 60 people. I have a feeling many DVC owners don’t know that it’s open to all; we didn’t. The lounge itself certainly isn’t busy, but probably does pretty good during the hour before the fireworks start. It was a nice place for a quiet drink - you can’t find too many quiet places at WDW.

In Germany, in Epcot. The little store in front has been converted into a Werther’s Candy (and caramel apple store). Too delicious! Even if you don’t buy anything, just drop in to smell the caramel.:heart: The caramel corn is so yummy!

…do they still sell my extra squishy “fresh” gummy bears? I will be so disappointed if I can’t pop in to buy some. :slight_smile: Haribo gummies are the best!