My Complaining Family and Our WDW Trip

So my dad is paying for a big family trip to WDW starting this Saturday. He’s bought the plat. plan so a lot of stuff is included.

DB, DNiece, and DNiece’s DH are going to be the problem children here.

DF, DM, Myself, DH, and DD are so excited they can’t stand it.

The first group I mentioned is complaining about:

1. Having 2 (yes, only 2) breakfast planned at 8:20 & 8:45. DN(19) is shocked that she is expected to get up early. And I said you have to get up somewhat early if you want to beat the big crowds. She’s oblivious to this idea. :blink: They didn’t mention a phobia for the AM when I was planning the ADRs. They told me to plan whatever.

2. DN is also upset that she has to get up beyond early on Saturday morning so we can catch our flight around 8 something. She was not complaining until we got a week away from our trip. Now she’s saying she might as well not go to bed. Yeah you do that and see how you feel once we get there.

3. Seeing Wishes several times, once being the cruise. We tell them it’s worth seeing multiple times. DB(39) makes a :glare: face. I bite my tongue.

DB and DN’s DH(19) are pretty much terrified to get on the plane. DD (who is almost 2) is so excited about even being close to an airplane. The airport is like 5 minutes away from our house so we see them taking off all the time, but I realize this may change once we get there. Still, even a 2 yr old is excited about a plane ride.

I cannot even believe these people are complaining about a COMPLETELY free trip. I told DF since he is paying, I’ll get up at 6am everyday if he wants me to. DH said if they pitch a fit while we’re down there, we’re gonna have a little chat. They’re not ruining our time.

Thanks for reading, I just had to vent about this. I really should be packing now…:blush:

[QUOTE=KittieKChick;956076]So my dad is paying for a big family trip to WDW starting this Saturday. He’s bought the plat. plan so a lot of stuff is included.

DB, DNiece, and DNiece’s DH are going to be the problem children here.

DF, DM, Myself, DH, and DD are so excited they can’t stand it.

The first group I mentioned is complaining about:

1. Having 2 (yes, only 2) breakfast planned at 8:20 & 8:45. DN(19) is shocked that she is expected to get up early. And I said you have to get up somewhat early if you want to beat the big crowds. She’s oblivious to this idea. :blink: They didn’t mention a phobia for the AM when I was planning the ADRs. They told me to plan whatever.

2. DN is also upset that she has to get up beyond early on Saturday morning so we can catch our flight around 8 something. She was not complaining until we got a week away from our trip. Now she’s saying she might as well not go to bed. Yeah you do that and see how you feel once we get there.

3. Seeing Wishes several times, once being the cruise. We tell them it’s worth seeing multiple times. DB(39) makes a :glare: face. I bite my tongue.

DB and DN’s DH(19) are pretty much terrified to get on the plane. DD (who is almost 2) is so excited about even being close to an airplane. The airport is like 5 minutes away from our house so we see them taking off all the time, but I realize this may change once we get there. Still, even a 2 yr old is excited about a plane ride.

I cannot even believe these people are complaining about a COMPLETELY free trip. I told DF since he is paying, I’ll get up at 6am everyday if he wants me to. DH said if they pitch a fit while we’re down there, we’re gonna have a little chat. They’re not ruining our time.

Thanks for reading, I just had to vent about this. I really should be packing now…:blush:[/QUOTE]

It’s never easy planning a trip for so many and making everyone happy. Your father is paying a small fortune for that Platinum Plan. Yousa.
don’t let them spoil his or your fun. Go and enjoy. They might just get “with it” once they get there :wink:

To be honest I deal with these same issues when Daniel’s whole family meets us. I’ve given up & don’t care anymore. Does everyone in your family have to be together? Daniel & I are naturally early risers so it’s easy for us to be in the park at 8am. His Sister & Step-Dad not so much. We just go & they meet us later in the park. Once they realize we’ve already covered the park by the time they are just entering they start to realize it’s worth it to get up early & nap later.

Some people are going to fuss no matter WHAT in the world you choose or do for them, so don’t. Seriously. If they don’t make it to the early breakfasts that you planned oh well, still go & enjoy it. Don’t put yourself at the mercy of other people’s habits.

You’ll be thankful after following your own agenda trust me!

OH I was sorry to read they put a bit of a damper on the trip already- that’s so kind of your dad to pay for all that- dont let anyone spoil your own fun or your dads.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;956089]To be honest I deal with these same issues when Daniel’s whole family meets us. I’ve given up & don’t care anymore. Does everyone in your family have to be together? Daniel & I are naturally early risers so it’s easy for us to be in the park at 8am. His Sister & Step-Dad not so much. We just go & they meet us later in the park. Once they realize we’ve already covered the park by the time they are just entering they start to realize it’s worth it to get up early & nap later.

Some people are going to fuss no matter WHAT in the world you choose or do for them, so don’t. Seriously. If they don’t make it to the early breakfasts that you planned oh well, still go & enjoy it. Don’t put yourself at the mercy of other people’s habits.

You’ll be thankful after following your own agenda trust me![/QUOTE]

I completely agree. If they don’t want to attend an early breakfast or stay to watch Wishes, part ways and meet up later. It will make everyone happier in the end. The great thing about Disney is that it appeals to different people in many different ways. No two Disney fans vacation the same way. Let them know what you plan to do, and let them decide what they want to be included it and what they would rather do on their own. In the end it will be much less stressful for everyone.

I agree with all the other posts. How nice of your dad to do this. Go and enjoy your vacation!

How about something like . . .

Okay folks, the whole group activities today are . . . and everyone is expected to be at those. The rest of the time, split up.

Unless your father wants the whole group together the entire time, just set one or two events each day that are everyone together. If anyone balks, then just inform them that since Dad is paying the freight, he has the right to make one or two demands per day.

Oh, family! What fun!

This sounds like trying to coordinate a family trip with my DH’s family…NEVER AGAIN!!! I hate even going to an amusement park or the local fair with them because they make everything so difficult.
Good luck!!

What’s that old saying about being able to pick your friends but not your family? I think it may be true! How generous of your father to pay for this wonderful trip…how ungrateful of your DB and DN to start complaining now.
If they don’t make a breakfast (or both) that’s their loss. I wouldn’t go out of my way to wake them if they’re going to pitch a fit. The rest of you should just go and have a wonderful time! No…a Magical time!

:eek: I have to agree with many of the posters, We went through this a couple of months ago and it ruined our trip! Stay on your own schedule, smile and offer and if they don’t take you up on it go on your merry way! So sorry you decided not to join us! Maybe tomorrow ( or not! :happy:) We had a family member we had to wait for, he was too young to be on his own, they would sleep in until 1:00 or later. It was awful. Never again :mad:

Go with the overall opinion----let them do their own thing by themselves unless Dad says otherwise. Do your thing and a enjoy time with him.
Our last trip was with the oldest 2 (23/26) and they understood that we were going to do our thing at our own pace. If they wanted to join us then come on lets go have fun. Once they start paying for things by themselves they will either get the big picture or be lighter in the wallet. All 3 of ours figured that out one night many trips ago just how much DW and I spend on them when we pay the way.

We told them they don’t HAVE to be at everything. It’s just a bit frustrating because they were all for the plans, then they look at them and just want to jump ship. It’s crazy.

DM and I were talking tonight and said the rest of them can do what they want, because for the most part, DF, DM, DH, DD and myself are going to do pretty much everything together. DM and DF are so excited about taking my DD that I probably wouldn’t be able to pry them away with a crowbar, LOL. Doesn’t hurt my feelings though. We’re rollercoaster riders, and they can watch DD while we do those.

I can’t stand it when others get miserable!!

Here’s an idea…Give everyone a copy of the ADR’S (family scheduled things, etc) and if they show, then great, if not, well, they miss out! You aren’t responsible for the actions of others, just yourself! As long as your dad knows you are so appreciative of his generosity, that is all that matters! This was so very kind of him!

Oh and by the way, if it were my DN I would tell her, if she feels it is too early to get on the plane she can pay to switch her ticket and get transportation to the airport from her own pocket, if she would like! If not, shut the trap and board the plane at the scheduled time! (and… her own DF should be telling her to stop being so ungrateful, I don’t care how old she is!!!)

I agree with everything that’s already been said. As the old adage goes, “you can’t please everyone!” i would just concern myself with those who are on board with your plans, and let the others feel free to do whatever they want. The worst thing you can do is let the negative folks add stress and tension to what should be a wonderful trip. I’d also like to add that your dad was incredibly generous to do this, and everybody should be grateful for this amazing gift.

Your parents will LOVE being there with your DD. Disney is always magical but especially when you view it through the eyes of your grandkids!

I agree with all the others go have a wonderful time be grateful your father is doing this for all you…not everyone is lucky to have a father that is able or willing to do such…you are lucky…do not any of the others ruin it for anyone… in the end it is there loss…