My Disneyland Trip Report - Andrea-ized

This is really more of a feedback and what we did. Andrea did an amazing trip plan for us :wub:

Overall I loved our trip and I loved DL. I liked that is was small and had most of the best bits of WDW. The only downer was leaving the magic every day. While I loved walking to our motel outside the gates because it was super close and used no bus, it was no fun to see IHOP, Denny’s, etc. It just broke the spell :frown:

I will put Andrea’s suggestions in and then how it worked out. :happy:

Arrival Day: We got to the park around 11

1. Take the train for a loop around the park. Yes, perfect way to start the trip.
  2. The Walt Disney Story and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. It’s on Main Street. I did this a different day by myself, but just the Walt Story
  3. Walk down Main Street. Don’t forget to duck into the Main Street Cinema! DS spend time in the cinema our last day while dh and I did our last minute shopping
  4. Send a runner for an FP for the ride of your choice. Star Tours might have a late FP time; Indy probably won’t. Splash Mountain may or may not- but it’s a looong walk back there to grab an FP. There’s always Space Mountain… we were not into any of these at the moment so we did not
  5. Don’t take the main drawbridge under the castle- go to the right…not all the way to Tomorrowland… to see Snow White’s Grotto. Make a wish in the wishing well! Walk back the way you came to get the full effect of walking through the castle. Loved this little detour
  6. Tour the Castle’s Sleeping Beauty Diorama. The entrance is subtle, on the Fantasyland side. LOL, we were direction challenged at that point and ended up first watching the “accessible” version and wondering why it was supposed to be a diorama.
  7. Here’s where you get to make a choice. If you’ve got early entry tickets for Saturday morning, I suggest you take this time to go, like Mary Poppins, wherever the wind blows you. We ending up roaming and doing a lot this day, Buzz, Pirates, HM, Splash Single rider and just enjoying the park.

For your early night dinner, I’d suggest you make a reservation for somewhere at Downtown Disney (somewhere that is NOT Tortilla Jo’s. You’ll have to trust me on this one. Mark (Exp626) is a big fan of Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen.) But DO make a reservation if you’re not planning on doing a counter service. I think we did counter service, but for some reason I can’t remember. We may have gone back to the our hotel area.

Early Entry Plan for Saturday
Fantasyland. Hurry to Peter Pan, directly to Peter Pan… and then do the rest of the Fantasyland (with the exception of Small World). The hour of EE should be more than enough time for this! (Make sure you arrive at the front gate well before the EE starts… so before 7am. You can do it!) We did do it!! We were the 3rd family to ride PP. It was funny because there was a young couple in line ahead of us, and she was determined to be the first to ride and was so excited. She had a pink hat and we just followed here the whole way. It was fun to see someone else so obsessed.

b. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride Fun for dh. He told me a story of when he was 15 with a friend at WDW riding and they rode so much they timed the ride and got out in one of the open spaces and roamed around. :eek: Luckly they did not get caught. He pointed out all the exits to me LOL
c. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland cute
d. Feeling a lot of self loathing? Take a ride on Snow White. There’s a reason there’s no line. Instead of riding, why don’t you just look up to the window above the ride? Someone may pull aside the curtain…It was there, we road it, lol
e. Pinocchio. Very basic dark ride, but better than Snow White. check
f. Storybook Canal Boats. Total affront to your DS’s dignity. This is definitely “oh how cute!” time. We all liked this including ds
g. You can pretty much see everything offered by Casey Jr. just by looking at it. Probably not worth standing in line for. One evening DS and I rode this. We were monkeys in the cage. LOL. That song is stuck in my head.

Disneyland Day A (featuring the right side of the park)

1. Send a runner to grab an FP for Space Mountain. (Yeah, that’s this day.) Much smoother ride that at WDW. It rings a bell that I have heard this before.
  2. Finding Nemo submarines. One of my favorites
  3. At this point, you can probably get another FP. Get it for Star Tours. Nope, no one wanted to ride this and I was scared of the motion sickness aspect.
  4. Check out the line for Autopia. It’s usually long- decide if it’s worth it! Keep in mind that it’s something best done in the morning- it’s one of those hot lines. Groan, the line was only 10 min and it broke down. We hung on and wished we had not. We knew better, oh well
  5. Ride Buzz Lightyear 6 or 7 times. (No? That’s just me? Okay. Do it once.) We did quite a few times over the trip. Love the detachable lasers.
  6. There’s never a good time for the Astro-Orbitor. Your call! Nope
  7. Go around the sadly closed Matterhorn back to Small World. Ride if you like to! If not, just admire the façade and the topiary. It’s very cool. We ended up doing this right when it opened at 11. I love this DL version and the Disney characters in the scenes
  8. Check out Toontown: Everybody’s houses, all the gags, all the fun little details. DS loved. We like the Gadget Coaster too
  9. Roger Rabbit has an FP… but if it’s early enough in the day, just ride. (I’m only recommending this because it’s different. I don’t think I’ve set foot in that building in 15 years. I just never think about it, and I’m actually always surprised when I see that it’s still open.) Road a different day beacause it was there - yawn

So that’s the morning commando plan. You’ll still have a lot of time. Go back and use your FPs for Star Tours and Space Mountain during the afternoon when the regular lines are long. Keep getting FPs for other attractions in the afternoon. I didn’t list Captain EO (not a fan), but that’s good for the afternoon. Never made it there.

Disneyland Day B (aka, the right side of the park)
DD24 joined us at this point in the trip. We did some reapeats of things for her.

1. Go to the left, through Adventureland. Pick up an Indiana Jones FP as you walk by. (Alternate: If the FP or Indy is down—which happens, grab a FP for Splash Mountain before #2) I[COLOR=“magenta”] was expecting more from this ride, but did enjoy the theming. The wait cue was fun even with a fast pass. [/COLOR]
  2. Ride Haunted Mansion check
  3. Back to Splash Mountain. Ride if you’re up for it this early in the morning (I would be!) but it will also probably be VERY close to time you can get a new FP. So pick up another FP for later, too. For whatever reason we always ended up using single rider. I guess we did not want to wait for the FP time to roll around. Single rider worked out perfectly and not many people were using it. This version is not as bright and cheery was WDW. I kept wanted them to turn up the lights.
  4. Do not waste time at Pooh at this moment, save it for after you ride Splash later in the day. I think we rode this the first day and again this day.
  5. Just because your Indy pass is up doesn’t mean it’s time to use it. (If you weren’t able to get one before, now is the time.) Pass Indy, ride Pirates. Loved the DL version - so much more than WDW. Also when we rode this ride on day 2 I just had to eat at Blue Bayou. It was lunch time and somewhat of a mistake, because I was not as hungry as dinnertime. But I loved the food - yummy crab cakes!
  6. Take a cruise on the Jungle Cruise. The Jungle Cruise line will be shorter in the morning, and it gets really stuffy in line in the afternoon. We did this at night our last night. Corny as ever, but the night ride was a new experience.
  7. Check out the Tiki Room. Went 2 times during the trip and ds went 3 times. :blush:
  8. While you’re in the area, the Bengal BBQ offers delicious bacon-wrapped asparagus; Yes, we did this for dinner our last night before Fantasmic. It was so yummy. On the subject of Fantasmic, I am not a big fan at WDW, but this was different enough that we enjoyed it.
  9. Grab an FP for the ride of your choice- again, saving it for later.
  10. If they’re running the Colombia, take a ride around the Rivers of America on it. It’s neat to explore the holds, and they may have you singing Pirate songs up on deck. This was really neat!
  11. I love the canoes. Not everyone is a fan. But I love the canoes. Yes, they do make you paddle. The best time to get on the canoes is right when they open- which is later than the park opens. So keep an eye on that and try to slide it in if you want to canoe. I love that this is still here from so long ago. I did get tired of paddling. :pinch:
  12. Tom Sawyer Island. Maybe not a huge draw, may be worth checking out depending on how late in the day it is. Might be something to save for Tuesday. No one wanted to do this.
  13. Ride Big Thunder or get a FP for later. Passed on this as well since it is at WDW

In Adventureland when you’re slowing down, walk through Tarzan’s Treehouse if you’re so inclined. DS liked this.[COLOR=“magenta”][/COLOR] In Frontierland, check out the Petrified Tree. (Walt bought it as an anniversary present for Lillian, who I imagine was pretty much “Thanks. Dead tree. Awesome!” and donated it to the park.)LOL I agree

DCA Day

Either way, you’ll want to go in the direction of TSM/Screamin’ first thing (along with the rest of the hordes). Yup, TSM first thing. THe rest of the time the line was at least 60 minutes so we never road again.

1. Screamin’ for the kids. They liked it
  2. TSM if you haven’t already and you want to.
  3. Continue down Paradise Pier, and if you’re so inclined, check out Goofy’s Sky School, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Silly Symphony Swings. We did the skywheel this day and some of these other rides our last day. They’re all carnival rides, but may have very long lines- and you may not want to spend precious touring time here. I was reading about hour long lines.
  4. Continue on to Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. cute
  5. Get an FP for Grizzly River Rapids. line was short so we got on -fun ride
  6. If you’re into it, check out the Redwood Trail- it’s themed to the movie “Up”. did this our last day
  7. Use your Soarin’ FP (if it’s not to late, also stop by next door at Taste Pilot’s Grill for lunch. DS recommends the ribs. I like the salad and onion rings.) I we ate lunch at the warf type place.
  8. Wander down Buena Vista Street (as best you can… I think a lot of it is walled off now), check out the Animation Building. Lots of cool nooks and crannies, takes as long as you want it to take.
  9. Muppetvision, if you’re interested. (Until I was looking at an actual map, I had NO IDEA they had this at DCA. Crazy.) did last day
  10. Monsters, Inc. (I don’t think it’s a great ride, but it’s original. It definitely has it’s fans!) cute
  11. See if the Aladdin show is playing- it’s pretty funny. did last day
  12. If the Tower of Terror line isn’t too long, ride. If not, pick up a FP. It’s a different experience than WDW’s ToT. no one wanted to ride it
  13. Wander through Bug’s Land. I wouldn’t worry about actually riding anything unless you really want to, but it’s a great place to sit, it’s really shady and cool, and the theming is so well-done. just ended up seeing the 3D movie only
  14. Go back and use your FPs! At this point DS was thinking we needed to park hop to get our moneys worth of the feature so they did and I did a bit more hanging out and went to DTD. DTD seems lacking compared to WDW
  15. World of Color that evening. Ended up cancelling our Ariel’s Grotto dinner since we had a fancy meal at Blue Bayou. Also since we walked right past the fast pass machine for WOC it seemed fine to skip the priority thing. At the recommendation of a CM we watched from the bridge which was still the blue section. We enjoyed the show but it sure was a cold night waiting.

On our last day, you were right that we would be old hand by then. We slept in a bit and did DCA and DL at leasure. The parks were busy for sure as Llama mentioned, but we still were able to do what we wanted. Thank you so much, Andrea, for all of your help!!!

My DL review is that it was magical to be in the place that Walt had walked and every bit as fun as WDW for us. :heart:

:laugh: I’m famous!

Glad your trip worked out! :happy:

Oh, and oops! Adventureland would be the LEFT side of the park! :redface:

I am so happy you enjoyed your trip. I love Andrea’s step-by-step guide to magic!:heart:

Thanks for sharing! DL is on my bucket list, but I’ll have to live through trip reports for now!

pictures:(

Hooray!! I’m so glad you enjoyed your time at DLR!

Glad it worked out so well! :happy:

[QUOTE=jk8;1106868]

For your early night dinner, I’d suggest you make a reservation for somewhere at Downtown Disney (somewhere that is NOT Tortilla Jo’s. You’ll have to trust me on this one. Mark (Exp626) is a big fan of Ralph Brennan’s Jazz Kitchen.) But DO make a reservation if you’re not planning on doing a counter service. I think we did counter service, but for some reason I can’t remember. We may have gone back to the our hotel area.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I does like the Jazz Kitchen. Voldemort and I were commenting about what the Blue Bayou is charging these days, and how we were thankful that there are choices with good food nearby. Tortilla Jo’s was such a disappointment the one and only time I went there. The Manager made up for it, but yeah. Anywhere BUT Tortilla Jo’s. :pirate:

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1107131]Glad it worked out so well! :happy:

Yes, I does like the Jazz Kitchen. Voldemort and I were commenting about what the Blue Bayou is charging these days, and how we were thankful that there are choices with good food nearby. Tortilla Jo’s was such a disappointment the one and only time I went there. The Manager made up for it, but yeah. Anywhere BUT Tortilla Jo’s. :pirate:[/QUOTE]

So one of the first things my dad says about our upcoming trip is “we have to do Tortilla Jo’s one night”.

Really? :blink::blink:

I’m already planning that dinner will be their admittedly awesome guacamole and a large and colorful adult beverage. :laugh:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1107132]So one of the first things my dad says about our upcoming trip is “we have to do Tortilla Jo’s one night”.

[/QUOTE]

:blink:I do not envy this portion of your trip. BLECH!

I’m hoping a cherry mojito will take away my pain.

(and what’s wrong with Tortilla Joe’s? Just curious)

The tableside-made guacamole is delicious. After that…

I had some burrito thing with huge chunks of inedible beef. Nobody could have chewed through that stuff. Just awful. Nobody else was impressed with what they got, either. And the service was so slow it was all enough to leave me with no desire to go back.

(And they don’t take same-day reservations. Um, what?)

But I ate there TWO years ago… and I really liked what I had, and so did everyone else. There had been menu changes since then. So…?