My heart just broke

Hey everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. With the kids getting older and more activities, well, you know.

Anyway, my 6-yr-old DD just told me that the characters at WDW are just people dressed up in costumes.

In June, during our trip, she said she didn’t think the face characters were the REAL characters, just people dressed up to look like them.

She’s the oldest, and promised not to tell the younger two.

A big piece of my magic just died, and I knew you’d all understand.

That is so sad - heck even I know that it’s the real Mickey, Minnie, Goofy etc at the magic kingdom. The other places may be their helpers, but the real guys live at the MK

Awww. :sad: I totally understand! I am dreading that day.

Wait till they figure out Christmas… That really sucks…

Oh thats tuff a one :crying:
My DD who’s 8 told me she thinks the characters are like Santa’s, all helpers, because the real ones are too busy to be in all those places! I could have squeezed the stuffin right out of her!:wub:

You know, I think they say that because someone else in school or on the playground said that.
We know what they are but when we go to Disney, we don’t see that, do we? We see Mickey Mouse and Minnie and all the other well known figures. This will not be the end of the magic for the kids. They will still be in aw when they are in the parks or watch the movies :wink:

[QUOTE=Dopey;996192]You know, I think they say that because someone else in school or on the playground said that.
We know what they are but when we go to Disney, we don’t see that, do we? We see Mickey Mouse and Minnie and all the other well known figures. This will not be the end of the magic for the kids. They will still be in aw when they are in the parks or watch the movies :wink:[/QUOTE]

FWIW…when DD and I were at DL last fall, we had Birthday Buttons. She wore hers; I pinned mine to the strap of my bag. As we were walking toward Adventureland, “Aladdin” wished her a happy birthday as he dashed off to his little pavilion area. Now, she’s 16 and knew perfectly well that he was a CM, playing a part. But is that what she said? NO. She said, “Cool, Aladdin just wished me Happy Birthday!” Not “the guy in the Aladdin suit,” but “Aladdin.” A day or two later, she was tickled to have her picture taken with Honest John. It wasn’t any less fun for her, knowing that these were people doing their jobs in order to offer guests that “character” experience.

The perspective will change, but the appreciation remains. :wub:

What??? That’s not really Mickey Mouse??? :crying: :crying: :crying:

I don’t remember when I first became aware of that. I mean, I am aware of it, but I still think of them as Mickey and Minnie and Goofy… the only time I ever think about who is “inside the character” is when someone points out that a character might’ve been overly affectionate with me. :laugh: But idk… it’s Pooh and Tigger, not the people being Pooh and Tigger. (When Tigger is super bouncy, Rachel will say, “Tigger drank a Vault, this morning.” :laugh:)

Don’t worry… the magic remains.

We ate at Crystal Palace Monday and my DD6 told me that there is a person in the Piglet outfit because she could see it was a costume in the back. But, that didn’t seem to carry to the other characters??!! I’ll take it as long as I can. I did tell her that the Headless Horseman was not real as she was quite frightened of the thought. I must say, though, that she was still in awe when he came galloping down for the parade.

[QUOTE=b1wife;996167]Hey everyone, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. With the kids getting older and more activities, well, you know.

Anyway, my 6-yr-old DD just told me that the characters at WDW are just people dressed up in costumes.

In June, during our trip, she said she didn’t think the face characters were the REAL characters, just people dressed up to look like them.

She’s the oldest, and promised not to tell the younger two.

A big piece of my magic just died, and I knew you’d all understand.[/QUOTE]

ahhh I remember that day well. Yes, it’s a heart breaker. I still tell her that they are real and she’s 15. I told her that I think they are and that’s all that matters.:laugh:

Well, hopefully not all the magic is gone, b1. I figured it out early on too (or momma told me, God bless her) but when I was 7 or 8 I wrote this letter to Mickey, saying I knew he was just a guy in a costume but wouldn’t tell the other kids. (Tactful, no? :laugh: ) I waited in that line to hand it to him, and he read it…and gave me a huge hug, and I was like “WOW THAT WAS SO COOL MICKEY IS AWESOME!!” There was still some magic left in this Practical Patty. :wink: Don’t give up!

[QUOTE=Voldemort;996210]FWIW…when DD and I were at DL last fall, we had Birthday Buttons. She wore hers; I pinned mine to the strap of my bag. As we were walking toward Adventureland, “Aladdin” wished her a happy birthday as he dashed off to his little pavilion area. Now, she’s 16 and knew perfectly well that he was a CM, playing a part. But is that what she said? NO. She said, “Cool, Aladdin just wished me Happy Birthday!” Not “the guy in the Aladdin suit,” but “Aladdin.” A day or two later, she was tickled to have her picture taken with Honest John. It wasn’t any less fun for her, knowing that these were people doing their jobs in order to offer guests that “character” experience.

The perspective will change, but the appreciation remains. :wub:[/QUOTE]

Great story, I totally agree. My almost 13 yr old (who knows the deal) gushes over Donald Duck and Stitch!! I think Disney always holds some special magic for everyone!!

Have you had her tested? I think she has some serious issues. :laugh:

Always believe. Admit nothing.

Luckily my DD(6) still believes with every bit of her heart. She routinely writes Pluto letters which I “mail” and she anxiously awaits his reply. He sends her a Christmas present every year, which Santa picks up in WDW and delivers to our house. I love that she has that childlike innocence. She has her whole live to be an adult. I intend to perpetuate childhood as long as possible.

Now my DH on the other hand…We saw Mary Poppins at breakfast one morning and then we were in line later that day to see her again with a penguin. My husband proceeded to say to me “I think that is the same Mary Poppins as this morning” Now as I tried to pick my mouth off the ground, due to his enormous gaff, a cast member jumped right in saying “There is only one Mary Poppins, Sir” Luckily, DD didn’t hear him, but the 70ish something year old woman behind us did and said to DH “thanks, now you ruined it for me” It is still an ongoing joke with us.

Just the other day DD5 said to me, “Mom you know they are people in costumes right?” I said, “Yes, but we still love them as the character they are right?” And she said “Of course, it wouldn’t be a trip to Disney without seeing them, but I just wanted to make sure you knew!” :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I still know when she sees ANY of the characters she gets so excited and CAN’T wait to meet them!! The magic will always be there. :heart:

awesome story.:laugh:

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;996761]Just the other day DD5 said to me, “Mom you know they are people in costumes right?” I said, “Yes, but we still love them as the character they are right?” And she said “Of course, it wouldn’t be a trip to Disney without seeing them, but I just wanted to make sure you knew!” :blink:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I still know when she sees ANY of the characters she gets so excited and CAN’T wait to meet them!! The magic will always be there. :heart:[/QUOTE]

That’s so sweet!!