My Jiko experience

I was just reading something about Jiko and remembered our first and only Jiko experience this past January.
Beautiful place, kind of an awkward location for their uncomfortable bar, the food was great.
We were greeted by our server and asked “would you like some water?” “Yes”, we did.
He returned with a bottle of water. We thought nothing of it, this is how it is served in quite a few restaurants that we frequent at home. The difference is, at Jiko we were charged quite a bit of money for it. I think it was something like $ 5. Of course we didn’t catch on to that until the check came.

I actually have no problem buying bottled water but I would like to have a choice of bottled or by the glass rather than being sold something in this rather underhanded way.
Has this happened to you? It never occurred to me to ask :blink:

I think I would have revolted.

Jiko is supposed to be a “Signature Dining” experience. By custom, water is free unless you ASK for the bottled stuff, and then you expect a charge.

It was a CHEAP MOVE by the server-- “underhanded” is definitely the word- and he should have lost his tip and known why. And the manager should have known why, too.

This is a bit different than your water experience, but a few yrs ago we had the dining plan (when the tip was included) and my son in law just wanted a glass of water, not soda, coffee or anything. The server kept pushing a beverage that would cost money, he ended up getting bottled water just to have her go away.

Water IS free, unless you ask for bottled water.
The server was supposed to ask you if you preferred the bottled water over tap water, which is filtered at AKL (most restaurants in WDW filter their water as well. Its the water fountains and tap water at the rest of the resorts that have that central Florida sulphur taste.

Once upon a time, WDW waiters were free to add extra coffees with dessert and bottles of water and basically run up the bill with little extras to run up their tip because these costs were “magically” eaten and the guest was never charged extra.

Sadly, this ended when the Magic Your Way packages were introduced in 2005, along with frequent free dining offers.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1095052]
It was a CHEAP MOVE by the server-- “underhanded” is definitely the word- and he should have lost his tip and known why. And the manager should have known why, too.[/QUOTE]

IF it were me, the manager would have definitely known!

Yeah well, we cut the tip by $5, the cost of the water, and called it a night :dry:

There’s always that.
But you really should have spoken with the manager anyway.
I believe they would take a dim view of the CM’s actions here.

I haven’t ever been offered the high-priced water deal at the restaurant, but don’t go to many tables restaurants anymore. I don’t like that sneaky extra $5 a bottle. They should be clear about the charge when they offer it. It comes off a bit sneaky. Does WDW really, really need to sneak in extra charges for water? I am quite certain they made their money on the meal.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1095071]There’s always that.
But you really should have spoken with the manager anyway.
I believe they would take a dim view of the CM’s actions here.[/QUOTE]

You are right. It would have been better if we had let the manager know.

wow, I’d have been livid! what a sneaky, sneaky server!!