My Magic +

A little more info from the horses mouth so to speak. I like the wristband customization idea. They could well recoup the cost of the system just from those sales. I also like the idea of no more key cards. Although my lanyard will seem empty without cards and tickets.

Disney NextGen: Disney unveils “MyMagic+,” the centerpiece of its sweeping “Next Generation Experience” technology project - Orlando Sentinel

Thanks for posting this…wish I hadn’t read it though…:crying:

Now I’m more depressed about the whole thing then ever…marketing, lack of privacy…need to make reservations for everything (even good parade seating!!!) nope—hope it doesn’t work out well…that’s my wish…there goes my flexible and spontaneous WDW vacations of yore…

I don’t see it working that way at all. They are not taking all prime viewing for parades and you will not make reservations for everything. It still allows flexibility for some but gives advantages to those of us who plan ahead. Which is a a good thing for me. I see this as a big success. The test has gotten great reviews except for a couple of people here and there. It is major progress IMHO.

Yes…that’s what I mean…for people who plan ahead…but not for me…we don’t do much planning ahead…we don’t make ADRs ahead of time…we choose the best park for that day and head in…we choose the best parade viewing and sit ourselves down there way ahead of time…ie top of the train station for fireworks and parades…we get there 2 hours ahead, save our spot and take turns going shopping on main street. I’ll bet you money that that particular space will be reserved with this new system…and I will have to pay for the right to sit there…that’s what I meant by my comments…

It may work great for you and most people but this whole new system…which will be able to track our every move within the parks, is not something my family will enjoy…i don’t see how it will work to my advantage at all…and in fact will make things worse for the non planner…

Can you say Future World with Yule Brenner?

:huh: :laugh: …I don’t get the reference…sorry…

All I am saying is that for ME, it’s not going to work well…this system will mean non planners like me will be forced to plan and committ to set times…For My family…that’s going to change our experience for the worse…

Again…every one and every family is different…and I mean no disrespect to anyone else’s way of vacationing… :smile:

I’m sure Disney has already thought about and well planned for this but I have a few concerns:

Is this wristband removable at the end of the day? I wouldn’t want to have this on 24/7.

What about if it gets wet? Would showering/swimming/water rides would have some sort of effect on the band?

What about us AP’s? How does this work with our paper tickets?

Does it have personal information printed on it so if you lose it, someone can just walk right to your hotel room and gain entrance?

Being a finance guy, I honestly can’t imagine how they allocated $1 Billion on this project. That tells me they must be thinking of some major additional fees they can charge to recoup that kind of expense. Nobody, not even Disney spends $1 Billion that easily.

smallworld, I think I am with you. If you are not a planner and prefer not to reserve a seat for a parade, does that put everyone else at an advantage? I am still reserving my stronger opinions, but not so sure I like where this is headed. I think I will wait and see if this even catches on. Not so sure it will.

So the Future World comment was a toungue-in-cheek comparison of this to the old 1970’s movie where theme parks were all robotic and scheduled down to bathroom breaks.
For me I like the old fast pass process. It was simple and benefited those of us who get to the parks early enough. I do plan meals but i never get on the dining plan as it would be a loser for us. I dont intend to plan rides or parades. If the world gets that rediculous I can forsee me spending our vacation dollars somewhere else.

I’m also with smallworld. Hate the idea, plus I have skin allergies. What if I’m allergic to the wrist band and break out in a sever rash?

[QUOTE=Captain Bax;1127997]So the Future World comment was a toungue-in-cheek comparison of this to the old 1970’s movie where theme parks were all robotic and scheduled down to bathroom breaks.
For me I like the old fast pass process. It was simple and benefited those of us who get to the parks early enough. I do plan meals but i never get on the dining plan as it would be a loser for us. I dont intend to plan rides or parades. If the world gets that rediculous I can forsee me spending our vacation dollars somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh…sorry…I don’t remember that one :laugh:

I like to plan for meals and I always make a basic schedule, with the plan of arriving ready to be flexible and go with the flow. I love to discover WDW surprises, and to enjoy spontaneous moments of magic.
I will withhold judgment until it gets up and running…

I honestly don’t think this is going to hurt those that don’t plan ahead any more. I am pretty sure you will find yourselves in about the same spot you are now. For those of us who have been asking for this and like to plan ahead, it is great!

I am willing to reserve judgement until I try the new system for myself but it seems like it adds a whole new level of planning to a vacation that I already overplan for. I am a planner and I love planning, but my WDW trips already require enough planning. I’d rather not have to plan things like FP times in advance but if that is an option available to me, my planning side will likely not let me skip that step! Ha.

Standing by to see what others say from actually using the system. Now that we don’t travel as a big group with the kids grown, Pam and I love WDW because we can be spontaneous each day. But for 1-2 special ADR’s over 10 days, our daily schedule is planned at the earliest the night before. And half of the days on our last trip in October were changed that morning over a cup of coffee. And most times we call for an ADR in the am that day.

If I have to plan for rides I’m at a loss based only on what Disney has put out to us all. And as to reserved parade viewing spots… well that is the worst idea possible. Too many restrictions based on initial information.

And as to the functionality of wristbands, can I take it off at the end of the day? And what happens of it is lost? Or slip off a little wrist? Now someone HAS ALL of my information if they have a reader, which could be the next big thing for any low life lurckng amongst the 100,000 happy guests.

You know, we are going in a couple of months, and while I am neither opposed nor in favor of the new system, I sure as heck want to be one of the ones who has it for our trip… ain’t I a stinker?

Honestly - this might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me.

This might be great for first-timers or “planners”. I’m neither one of those. I don’t want to plan down to the last nano-second, I don’t want to decide what and where I’m going to dine months in advance and I don’t want Disney being able to “chart” me. I can understand where planning is “fun” for some - it’s not for us. Our Disney vacations have changed drastically from our first years - we do what we want to do when we want to do it. I’m past “working” on my holidays. Charting and planning and racing from attraction to attraction is not the way I want to spend my time at WDW.

I guess we shall see.

I think some are missing the point of this. It will not force you to plan but will allow those of us who want to to do so.

I think the point is that the “planners” just might have an advantage that the “non-planners” won’t.:dry: Life is so complicated. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to complicate it even more while you are on holiday.

May be true, and I hope it is, but I can see how this could allow the planners to plan the non-planners right out of a full vacation!

Hmmm, maybe I am not taking such a wait-and-see attitude…