My Magic +

[QUOTE=llama;1128016]Honestly - this might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me.

This might be great for first-timers or “planners”. I’m neither one of those. I don’t want to plan down to the last nano-second, I don’t want to decide what and where I’m going to dine months in advance and I don’t want Disney being able to “chart” me. I can understand where planning is “fun” for some - it’s not for us. Our Disney vacations have changed drastically from our first years - we do what we want to do when we want to do it. I’m past “working” on my holidays. Charting and planning and racing from attraction to attraction is not the way I want to spend my time at WDW.

I guess we shall see.[/QUOTE]

…my thoughts exactly…

…but it WILL force everyone to plan whether you want to or not…if all the FPs are gone well ahead of time…those of us who get up and go to a park in the morning will have no FPs left to “get”! My 6 days are WDW are a treat every few years…I don’t want to have to spend my days having to BE somewhere all the time in order to just get on a ride or attraction. Non planner will be forced to become planners if we just want to see and do everything…the planners will have taken up all the spots well ahead of time…

Couldn’t agree more.

I am confident that not all of the fast-passes will be used up with online distribution. They will work that out. Also it is important to keep in mind this important statement in the release from Disney, “Like any offering, MyMagic+ will evolve over time based on guest and Cast feedback.” I have enough confidence in this company that they will design a happy medium that will make everyone happy.

I swear we must be sisters from another mother, or else great minds just think alike :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I saw 2 stories online today that say Disney will be “tracking” us. I will reserve judgement until I hear from some on here who have tried it. I can see llama and small world’s point, though. Non-planners could certainly be at a disadvantage.

Disney World to track visitors with wireless wristbands - Travel Kit on NBCNews.com

Disney To Track Visitors With Wireless Wristbands | STLmoms.com

[QUOTE=timkelmom;1128030]I saw 2 stories online today that say Disney will be “tracking” us. I will reserve judgement until I hear from some on here who have tried it. I can see llama and small world’s point, though. Non-planners could certainly be at a disadvantage.

Disney World to track visitors with wireless wristbands - Travel Kit on NBCNews.com

Disney To Track Visitors With Wireless Wristbands | STLmoms.com[/QUOTE]

That’s just creepy. I’m sorry, but I don’t want to be “tracked”. Where I go, what I do, what I buy, is my business. That is an invasion of privacy as far as I’m concerned.

I LOVE IT!!! We pretty much have set touring plan anyway this will just help it go smoother. Now, once I try it who knows I may change my mind. I can’t wait to try it out in November!

That would be Westworld with Yul Brenner or Futureworld with Peter Fonda.
Futureworld is actually the darker of the two.
Westworld is just animatronics gone amok that have slipped their safties. Futureworld is the theme park owner attempting to clone leaders and take over the world (evil Disney?).

But I don’t think this magic wristband/advanced planning issued fast passes has much to do with either film.
And no, so far, I am not liking what I’m hearing.

[QUOTE=Captgoodguy;1127991]I’m sure Disney has already thought about and well planned for this but I have a few concerns:

Is this wristband removable at the end of the day? I wouldn’t want to have this on 24/7.

What about if it gets wet? Would showering/swimming/water rides would have some sort of effect on the band?

What about us AP’s? How does this work with our paper tickets?

Does it have personal information printed on it so if you lose it, someone can just walk right to your hotel room and gain entrance?

Being a finance guy, I honestly can’t imagine how they allocated $1 Billion on this project. That tells me they must be thinking of some major additional fees they can charge to recoup that kind of expense. Nobody, not even Disney spends $1 Billion that easily.[/QUOTE]

If you spread the cost out to all 10 Disney parks plus the waterparks and DisneyQuest and all 30+ hotels, you could spend $1 billion, especially if you’re going to incorporate room keys and tickets. It is a lot of money to develop and roll out something like this, but I don’t see how this could have cost $1B in total.
I do feel that Disney is convinced the cost of the system is worth the time and money. So they will continue to roll it out, no matter how much we complain that it’s already bad enough that we have to make dining reservations 6 months without adding the pressure of planning seven days worth fast passes so far in advance.

Right. Except that all of this makes for quotas and limits.
I may not want to plan my rides, especially as weather does play a BIG part in what anyone does on any day. So here you are, you’ve had your fast passes for ToT and RnRCoaster for 5 months. You arrive and head to the first ride with an active pass. Too bad that ride is down and might not even be back up today. Now you’ve got to bounce and kill time before the second FP opens up.
But now you’re really boned. It seems that Star Tours has 60 minute waits and the first FP isn’t for another 3 hours. Toy Story? Forget that, at rope drop, all those FPs for the whole day had been gone for 3 months. Now what? You have way too much time to kill and your other FPs aren’t available for your use for hours. So now what? Lights’ Motors, Action? It’s raining and cancelled.
Now what do you do? You’re in a park where you can’t get on a single ride for 2 hours because all the queues are packed with FP holders and the empty stand by lines are all 90 minute waits because of the FP situation.

Granted, this is beyond a worst case scenario, but it does point out how this can backfire.

That’s why I leave the GPS apps on my phone turned off. It’s already bad enough that your general position can be tracked by cell towers. I really don’t want who knows who knowing my exact position any time they want to.

Mark of the beast my butt!
The mark of the beast is an RFID chip with the ID number 666 that will be embedded just under your skin at birth.

It’s 6 PM in the east and if your cable system carries MGM HD, Futureworld just happens to be on right now. Not sure when or if it’s on again.

Awww…we don’t get that channel here…I would like to see that movie—I really don’t remember it. Thanks for posting this though…

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1128043]That’s why I leave the GPS apps on my phone turned off. It’s already bad enough that your general position can be tracked by cell towers. I really don’t want who knows who knowing my exact position any time they want to.

Mark of the beast my butt!
The mark of the beast is an RFID chip with the ID number 666 that will be embedded just under your skin at birth.[/QUOTE]

If you don’t like being tracked let me ask this. Do you use google or bing? If so did you ever notice that they both can pretty much finish a search topic for you in the search bar or that when you get to a page like a news page for instance that it has advertisements for things that you generally search for, Disney ads for instance? I’m in IT. You are already being tracked much more than you realize.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1128039]That would be Westworld with Yul Brenner or Futureworld with Peter Fonda.
Futureworld is actually the darker of the two.
Westworld is just animatronics gone amok that have slipped their safties. Futureworld is the theme park owner attempting to clone leaders and take over the world (evil Disney?).

But I don’t think this magic wristband/advanced planning issued fast passes has much to do with either film.
And no, so far, I am not liking what I’m hearing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for correcting me about Yul not being in Futureworld, I was sure about Westworld but good catch on Fonda!
My comment about that movie in comparison was that we humans are being more and more subjected to animated and computerized social control. I may have gone from A to D on my post skipping B and C which I tend to do sometimes. It’s just much more like the tracking thread going on in parallel in this same thread.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1128042]Right. Except that all of this makes for quotas and limits.
I may not want to plan my rides, especially as weather does play a BIG part in what anyone does on any day. So here you are, you’ve had your fast passes for ToT and RnRCoaster for 5 months. You arrive and head to the first ride with an active pass. Too bad that ride is down and might not even be back up today. Now you’ve got to bounce and kill time before the second FP opens up.
But now you’re really boned. It seems that Star Tours has 60 minute waits and the first FP isn’t for another 3 hours. Toy Story? Forget that, at rope drop, all those FPs for the whole day had been gone for 3 months. Now what? You have way too much time to kill and your other FPs aren’t available for your use for hours. So now what? Lights’ Motors, Action? It’s raining and cancelled.
Now what do you do? You’re in a park where you can’t get on a single ride for 2 hours because all the queues are packed with FP holders and the empty stand by lines are all 90 minute waits because of the FP situation.

Granted, this is beyond a worst case scenario, but it does point out how this can backfire.[/QUOTE]

Funny. I worked the same senario through my head after first reading the news release. BUT…

I only hope that they have people on the instalation team with the awareness to work through all of the real world senarios that could happen. This could happen at any park, but would hit harder in HS or AK since they have fewer rides.

If anyone has gone to Universal you know the feeling of watching all those who have paid for the privilege or are staying at Universal Hotels, sailing past you - it’s not a pleasant feeling. And that’s what I think will happen at Disney. I cannot imagine anyone ordering fastpasses! The mind boggles!

As I said, I’ll wait and see…

[QUOTE=llama;1128062]If anyone has gone to Universal you know the feeling of watching all those who have paid for the privilege or are staying at Universal Hotels, sailing past you - it’s not a pleasant feeling. And that’s what I think will happen at Disney. I cannot imagine anyone ordering fastpasses! The mind boggles!

As I said, I’ll wait and see…[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh…I forgot about that…those who have been to US and not staying there have complained about how bad it is… :crying:

[QUOTE=llama;1128062]If anyone has gone to Universal you know the feeling of watching all those who have paid for the privilege or are staying at Universal Hotels, sailing past you - it’s not a pleasant feeling. And that’s what I think will happen at Disney. I cannot imagine anyone ordering fastpasses! The mind boggles!

As I said, I’ll wait and see…[/QUOTE]

Exactly. it probably felt pretty good to those people who were sailing past! And at WDW, unlike at US, it would be possible to be cut out of an attraction altogether (consider TSM fast passes are gone before the park even opens, and a family with young kids heads to the park after breakfast. They will find standby times of well over an hour and no way to FP. That means Goodbye TSM for that trip! Not pretty.