My not-so-magical experience@WDW

My husband and I are no strangers to WDW. We are annual pass holders and have been going there for years. Well, all of that is about to change. I only hope people will read this and see how this organization handles situations. On our recent trip to Disney, my husband and I took the kids to the Magic Kingdom. We were having a wonderful time until we got onto the People Mover ride. We parked our double stroller(a Baby Jogger City Select) in the designated stroller parking area. Now, we were advised by Disney employees to leave it in this area as these are the designated areas and are monitored. I’m always a bit reluctant to leave an expensive item around but I was assured it would be safe not to mention strollers are not alowed in restaurants and on rides. So, with that I locked my stoller and put the canopies up taking my other belongings with me. Well am I glad I did that because a few short minutes later after exitting the ride my husband turns to me and says…Our stroller is gone! WHAT!!! NO!!! I ran to the employee that I spoke with shortly before and was told that sometimes strollers are moved to a different location. So hubby and I ran around the entire People Mover area to see if it was around…it wasn’t! My husband then ran to the park exit,child in tow to see if someone was going to exit the park with our now STOLEN stroller! I remained there to see if I could speak with security. This got me nowhere! I then asked for a loan of a disney stroller. Fantastic! So here I am with my one year old looking around Magic Kingdom for my STOLEN stroller(with no help mind you from any Disney employees). I make it to the exit to see what security has to say to my husband. Sorry, we’ll keep on the look out! That’s what we were told. Now after three hours go by I get the distinct feeling that no one is really LOOKING for my stroller they are mearly monitoring my husband and I(oh yeah and my two babies) to see how we intend to handle the situation. So, with much disgust after our day has been spent at the park exit playing security I ask to speak with the sheriffs department and the head of security. Now this is approximately 8:30pm. My children are hungry and I’m a bit upset at the lack of cooperation on the part of Disney. We file police reports and are advised to contact guest claims. No I am sorry let us provide you with a stroller replacement back to your hotel. No…I am sorry let us pull video. HELLO…this is grand theft on Disney property! I leave having a whole new perspective of Disney as a corporation. Only interested in $$$$$$$. If someone stole a bottle of water from one of their stores I can guarantee you they’d pull video. Oh and I was informed by mr. head of security that they don’t pull videos for something like this. We haul our children now crying and hungry onto the boat (oh…it’s 11:30 pm ) and back to the hotel. This now makes me wonder…are we really safe at Disney? What about my luggage at the hotel? What about my kids!!! Where are the safety measures? I am assured the next morning at breakfast by a manager of the hotel restaurant that the park is secure and that she was sure someone from security would “do the right thing” and look at video surveilance from the area. Maybe we could do something for you…maybe a day at the park on us. Thank you I say politely but we are annual pass holders. So, after we have told everyone,hotel managers etc, we head home. First stop, buy a new stroller. $800.00 bye bye!! Now, one week later I have yet to hear from Disney. So, I call to get my claim number and speak to the adjuster. I am informed that Disney is NOT responsible for stolen strollers. WHAT!!! It’s in YOUR designated stroller parking with YOUR employees, and they cant go on YOUR rides! Sorry maam, we can offer you a $100 good will voucher for the trouble. TROUBLE, the only trouble that I want anyone to address is how Disney can not be held responsible! Look at a video tape…contact the police…give them the video. Humor me please! Sorry maam…only hope your next visit to the Magic Kingdom will be a better one. WHAT! Are you serious? I’d rather give my money to anyone or anything but Disney? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! Or perhaps maybe I will take a trip up there and this time hang a sign off my stroller that says " Caution…watch your strollers last one STOLLEN at Disney"…and yes I’ll be bringing my chain and lock as well. If Disney isn’t going to secure my stroller I **** well will!!! For me the MAGIC is over!

That sucks, but I assume you have homeowners insurance. Contact them. We lost our video and still cameras one year and our company, State Farm, replaced them both with new models.

I would never leave an $800 stroller parked anywhere. But that’s just me.

-Harry

[QUOTE=GrumpyDad;1089103]That sucks, but I assume you have homeowners insurance. Contact them. We lost our video and still cameras one year and our company, State Farm, replaced them both with new models.

I would never leave an $800 stroller parked anywhere. But that’s just me.

-Harry[/QUOTE]

No, not just you.

Wow, 2 strollers in TR’s in the past couple of weeks. hmmm…Toto, I don’t think we’re in Kansas anymore:happy:

wow that sucks I think I would definately do the lock thing…I guess I was lucky in that the first time we ever went we just rented as the youngest was 4 at that time…and yes at that price for a stroller it is a felony for whoever stole it and they should pull tapes if any an give them to the police for investigative purposes. and with it being two stroller in such a short period of time is this a comon situation and if not than they need to be looking out as it might be a person or persons doing this all as a theft ring.

I can’t get over the fact that you are blaming Disney rather than the creep that stole your stroller. Why in the world would you bring an $800 stroller to Disney anyways. Make a claim on your homeowners insurance, and maybe the next time consider purchasing a throw away for trips. It could happen anywhere. So, if you decide Disney is not safe, then you’ll have the cheapy for Universal or wherever you decide to go, which requires you to leave strollers also.

I agree with Beth. Why in the world would you take such an expensive stroller unless it’s for a special needs child. Disney is no way responsible for the theft. With so many strollers in those parks there’s no way the attendants can tell which stroller belongs to whom. You’re at your own risk anywhere you go. Sorry it happened, but don’t blame Disney.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Disney can’t monitor every stroller that rolls into the park. When we go with small children, we take a cheap Walmart stroller. That way if someone steals it, it’s literally $30 down the drain. Sorry your stroller was stolen, but you’re blaming the wrong person.

We were going to bring our stroller that came with our travel system. But with 2 posts about stolen strollers in the past week I might have to bring the umbrella stroller.

Well, first off thank you all for your replies and suggestions. @ Beth and WDW rules, I have the disability and this stroller is by far the most managable for me to use. It is the reason we purchased it. Also, why should I or my kids be inconvienienced by using another stroller? Is Disney at fault? Yes…for neglegence and the way they handled the situation. My family is in law enforcement and were surprised to say the least that video surveilance was not viewed. Should the workers in that area know which stroller belongs to whom? No, however, when you go to a coat check dont they provide you with a ticket? Well, there are other parks that do just that with strollers. If you are told to leave personal belongings behind then there should be a secure area for you to do just that. You are abiding by THEIR rules. Why aren’t they responsible then? This is not the only expensive stroller in Disney. I have seen strollers far more expensive in the park than the one that was stollen. Also, you’re at your own risk should you decide to leave your stroller say on the streets of NYC. Am I doing that…um no! I am in what I thought was a secure park being told by THEIR employees to leave the stroller behind. Can’t go on the ride sorry. Nope, not in the restaurant for safety conscerns. Well, what about the safety of our belongings? You set rules but can’t provide a solution for the problem? I guess I am expected to go to Disney and ride none of the rides (sorry kids…gotta watch the stroller) or heaven forbid eat lunch (sorry sir I must have a window where I can view my stroller). As for the cost of the stroller it is irrelevant. It could cost $25 or $250…it’s still stollen property. What is important to me is that Disney do the right thing. Listen to your customers…look at the video. They have the means to do this but refuse to. Also, in the state of Florida, this is considered grand theft and a fellony both are which is punishable by law so Disney should be more cooperative.

@Christine…if you can use the umbrella do so. For all of the others who believe that Disney is not at fault I should only hope that you do not experience what happened to us. I’m sure you would feel differently.

I agree MickeyBug! Weird huh? I have never seen an $800 stroller! Heck my first car didn’t even cost that!
Oh well…

I was going to say all of the above, but instead I just reported the post as a troller.

I bought an expensive bike. So I bought an expensive bike lock (and lost the key to it, but that’s beside the point! :laugh:). If you’re going to spend a lot of money on something, spend the money to insure it.

This now makes me wonder…are we really safe at Disney? What about my luggage at the hotel? What about my kids!!!

Missing people and missing belongings are two entirely different things. Disney is very good with missing children. I have seen them in action.

Yeah, it sucks to spend a lot of money on something and have it taken… but that’s the chance you take when you spend a lot of money on anything.

In response to all of the messages I have received on my post, I would like to clarify something here. My family and I have always had a great time visiting Disney, and we do think they put out a great product. My biggest problem that I have here is everyone seems to think that a $800.00 stroller is a little over the top, but if you went shopping for one recently you would clearly see that the average price is $300+. Just because an item is expensive does not mean that it is up for grabs.
I am dissapointed because Disney is REFUSING to review a video of the area that was only a ten minute window of when the crime took place. After a police report was made and a possilbe arrest could be made, why would’t they want to pursue that, lets face it , this would be a conviction for the State Of Florida, and one less creep to hang around Disney, and also make it a safer place. I did not accuse Disney of the crime, but just outright failure to follow up on it when they have the ability to do so, nor did I ever ask for a nickel from them. However they did offer me a $100 dollar “good will” voucher and did offer free tickets for another day, but that was taken off the table after they were informed that I was a season pass holder. And to clarify something with Little Miss Magic, just because you pay more money for something doesnt mean you should have any greater chance of it being taken. And both things I made referrence to are crimes punishable in a court of law. Of course a child missing is of greater severity, anyone with half a brain can see that, but it’s the point I’m trying to convey as far as missing belongings…what’s next? Get my point? I hope so. I’m going to try my best not to respond to some of the foolish remarks made by jaded individuals. This post is to bring to the attention of Disney park visitors that this is some of the things that are taking place and are not being addressed by the theme park. I only hope they will do more for their park goers in the future and perhaps DO THE RIGHT THING! My view of the matter by not wanting to review video surveilance for a crime that took place within a matter of minutes is one of two things. Either Disney doesn’t care about assisting the police department in a criminal investigation or perhaps they are too afraid that perhaps it was one of their employees that may have been involved.What’s the big deal? Review the tape! That’s all I’m asking for.

I’m not saying $800 is over-the-top for a stroller, if that is your choice. And I’m not saying that it isn’t infuriating to have it taken; but commonsense would tell me not to bring that $800 stroller to a place like the MK. I’m sure your child wouldn’t be that inconvenienced to ride in a not-so-fabulous stroller for the day. Surely, even if you have a disability, you could find a more inexpensive stroller for situations like this.

You just seem so angry and combative! Even if they did review the tape, the chances of you tracking down whoever took it is remote. Somehow I don’t think the police and State of Florida would give this much priority. Is Disney at fault? No - it is not. There are signs posted at all the parks indicating that they are not responsible for personal items. They tried to help you and you weren’t satisfied with their response. That is your perogative. This is life. Move on.

As for “what is next” at the parks - well, most of us here are pretty Disney savvy and are probably willing to take our chances. I think you’re going a little overboard.

I’m Victoria. Nice to meet you.

Foolish remarks by jaded individuals? I was trying to be nice, but now you’re asking for my attention (sorry, mods :blush:).

Your first post on this site which you joined in August of this year (likely three days ago) was one complaining about a stolen stroller, using terrible grammar and punctuation - a very heated post. Very troll-like.

There was a post complaining about a stroller stolen a week or two ago. I took that one seriously because the poster had been around for a while and wasn’t bashing the Disney corporation, saying that because they won’t pull up a video trying to find the person who stole their stroller that they are terrible with security and not to be trusted with luggage or children or anyone’s life.

We’re all sorry your stroller was stolen. I haven’t seen anyone say, “You deserved to have the thing stolen! Serves you right!” Everyone was just saying that yes, you lost an expensive stroller, but when you put a lot of money into one thing, it’s a harder hit than when you don’t.

And yeah, I think that expensive things are more likely to be stolen than inexpensive things. If I was a thief, I wouldn’t steal the cheap little umbrella stroller - I’d take the fancy schmancy one.

We’re very friendly here on Mousebuzz, but when you don’t introduce yourself - just make your first post a long, complaining, fiery rant - we tend to put our guards up. I am rather confident that after this thread has faded away, we won’t see you here, again.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1089139]I’m Victoria. Nice to meet you.

Foolish remarks by jaded individuals? I was trying to be nice, but now you’re asking for my attention (sorry, mods :blush:).

Your first post on this site which you joined in August of this year (likely three days ago) was one complaining about a stolen stroller, using terrible grammar and punctuation - a very heated post. Very troll-like.

We’re very friendly here on Mousebuzz, but when you don’t introduce yourself - just make your first post a long, complaining, fiery rant - we tend to put our guards up. I am rather confident that after this thread has faded away, we won’t see you here, again.[/QUOTE]

Right on LMM! I think most of us here agree :slight_smile: Carry on…

Yes, this was my first thought as well.

I will take the high road on this because it is beneath me to respond to the kind of individuals that post comments like the above. This site wanted the good and the bad experiences of Disney and I did just that. To those individuals who are realistic and was able to see my point I thank you. To the others who missed it…no comment.

Wow … This makes for a great read while awaiting our plane at the airport!!!
We have a special needs wheelchair awaiting us at our resort. It’s called a Liberty Push Chair and designed for special needs children . I guess I would be a little bent if I found our rented stroller gone… We are paying $145 for the week. Then on the other hand we had a little fiasco last year that ended with me being the “Agressor” while being harrassed because we have a special needs child and the idiot did not like the fact that we were getting on the bus before him! I’m sure they have cameras that witnessed the punk getting body slammed by me … That also would have showed him walk up to me and run his mouth before he met pavement… WAIT … What were we talking about again??? :eek:

Bottom line … That sucks … Can’t we all get along !!! :biggrin:

The “individual” who posted the above comment has been a valued member of this Board since 2007.