My ODD Dining Plan Answered by WDW Cast Member

Sort of???

OK, here is the set-up. My family (5 of us) were going to stay at Port Orleans and my wife’s best friend and her 2 kids were going to Art of Animation. She is going through a nasty divorce and hubby will end up paying her but she is scared to death as his income was double hers…and for 17 yrs he REQUIRED them to go as cheap as possible…EVERYWHERE. The kicker, we want to do stuff together and eat together but she is trying to cut costs. We usually do the reg dining plan plus about 3 or 4 meals OP. She can’t. So, I thought if my party of 5 went deluxe and she paid me the cost of her three’s regular, we would all get to eat like we want and she wouldnt have to worry about $$$$ so much. it would turn from the 8 of us having combined 8 credits to having 15 every day. Well, can we??

I called WDW and just asked. They said the “rule” says no…but" and then there was quiet. I said but, “if they, sit at a table next to my table, and not at my table…one of us can just hand them our card.” She said “ok”, but with a tone of doubt. I think that is a little too blatent. So, I said, “We split up girls with girls and boys with boys (4 girls and 4 guys), we all go do our own thing and meet up after we dine. We dine at 2 different places…that would be…?” She says, “OK” but more optimistic. In other words, the room key will pay for a maximum of 5 meals per usage, which members of the party it pays for is pointless…as long as adults meal plan match adults and kids meal plan match kids.

It does us no real good though bc we will not want to split up like that…but good to know when my kids get a little older and maybe bring friends.

I don’t know, I don’t like this sort of thing. I would never do this. What if they do have a problem with this. There are rules, they should be adhered to. Just my little opinion.

I own a business and I have certain expectations from my guests…

Dopey, I agree, which is why I called WDW and talked to them about it. It does make it easy that it will not work for us.

Unfortunately all it takes is one CM to raise a question and everything could fall apart. I don’t see why you cannot treat and visitor you run into to a meal. They are your credits after all. But you never know when someone will cause a stink. I think it’s too risky based on what you noted below.

Why? because it clearly states in their rules that “You may not redeem meals or snacks for any Guests not on your Disney Dining Plan”.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/media/wdw_nextgen/CoreCatalog/WaltDisneyWorld/en_us/PDF/2012Dining.pdf

People break rules all the time. I did it myself with the FP’s simply because the CM’s allowed it in the past. But I also knew going in it was hit or miss and if it were something I paid big $ for like the DDDP I definitely wouldn’t want to take the chance.
This is not something I would attempt. If the other group can’t afford all the meals then eat some seperately or save those fav’s for the next trip and just go light on this one.

I know that there might be a rule, but the rule in my opinion is stupid. This is one reason I don’t use the DDP. If I have X number of credits I want to use them as I want, when I want, and where I want. It’s a personal thing, that’s all.

As others have said - you might get away with it, but all it takes is one CM questioning for things to get uncomfortable. Personally, I am just not good at doing this sort of thing. It would sort of ruin my day worrying that we’d “get caught” at dinner.

I’m going at this is a different way. I can certainly understand how much you want to give her and her children a super nice trip - but sometimes a little too much togetherness is not the best idea. Why not choose two or three special meals to have together and then make individual plans for the other nights. You can always meet up after the meal for dessert and a glass of wine…or just to watch the fireworks or whatever…

(like Rich - we’re not fans of the DDP - I’d rather have a couple of great meals paid for out of pocket. I can’t handle the stress of being at a certain restaurant at a certain time every night of my vacation.)

I agree with Rich. If you want to give the meal you bought to someone else, I think you should be allowed to. It’s not like you are getting an extra meal out of it - you are giving it to someone else. (Yeah, yeah - I read the rules, but I disagree with them.)

I said on the other thread that people checking out of the GF once offered us their unused dining credits. This was back in 2009, but I wonder if that would have worked. I’ve never been on the dining plan before, so I’m not quite sure how you redeem credits, anyway.

Everyone on MB always knows I am the curious type - I would totally try it just for the heck of it. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn’t work, then you just play dumb, “Oh, I didn’t know!” and break out the cash (because we’re not stealing meals - the meal will be payed for one way or another). I know, I know, I’m a terrible person.

My guess is that they’re more strict on it during periods of free dining because then people didn’t ‘actually’ pay for their dining (oh, we know that we actually paid for it some way or another…).

That being said, if you’re paying for DDP, it isn’t really that great of a deal. Look at what the restaurants you want to eat at will cost you. My blind suggestion is to have her use DDP for non-buffets (because this is just my family, but when we typically eat at a TS restaurant, we don’t order an appetizer or dessert) and pay cash for buffets, since they are a set price and already include everything. Orrr… they could just skimp on TS meals and order appetizers for entrees (actually, that sucks at a lot of restaurants because their appetizers are miniature) or split meals, etc.

It’s ok only if you use your refillable mug from last trip. :laugh: (I figured SOMEONE would bring it up so I’d beat them to the punch.)

We ROUTINELY eat with other folks, including kidlets of friends, and have used our credits to feed them when mom and dad were elsewhere, and we routinely split out table into different charges. What difference does it make when we are all on meal plans which persons key to the world? We paid for the meals, it’s not like we’re stealing them.

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1114358]I agree with Rich. If you want to give the meal you bought to someone else, I think you should be allowed to. It’s not like you are getting an extra meal out of it - you are giving it to someone else. (Yeah, yeah - I read the rules, but I disagree with them.)

I said on the other thread that people checking out of the GF once offered us their unused dining credits. This was back in 2009, but I wonder if that would have worked. I’ve never been on the dining plan before, so I’m not quite sure how you redeem credits, anyway.

Everyone on MB always knows I am the curious type - I would totally try it just for the heck of it. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn’t work, then you just play dumb, “Oh, I didn’t know!” and break out the cash (because we’re not stealing meals - the meal will be payed for one way or another). I know, I know, I’m a terrible person.

My guess is that they’re more strict on it during periods of free dining because then people didn’t ‘actually’ pay for their dining (oh, we know that we actually paid for it some way or another…).

That being said, if you’re paying for DDP, it isn’t really that great of a deal. Look at what the restaurants you want to eat at will cost you. My blind suggestion is to have her use DDP for non-buffets (because this is just my family, but when we typically eat at a TS restaurant, we don’t order an appetizer or dessert) and pay cash for buffets, since they are a set price and already include everything. Orrr… they could just skimp on TS meals and order appetizers for entrees (actually, that sucks at a lot of restaurants because their appetizers are miniature) or split meals, etc.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you and Rich on that. It is a stupid rule and makes absolutely no sense because no one is enriching themselves. But we could find fault with all sorts of requirements and rules. It’s too many people that are involved in this resort thing. If, in my place, I decide to make an exception, it’s no big deal. Also, no one would discuss my piddly, little place online like we discuss every minute detail on thousands of boards.

my whole issue is simply this. This family is GOING THROUGH IT…and the mom is scrared to splurge bc of the situation and I TOTALLY get that. But I love these 3 people dearly (the mom, the son who is 17, and a daugher that is 11). They are INCREDIBLE people and not to mention my wife’s BEST friend. If I wanted to buy their meal, what business is it of WDW. I mean, no offense to WDW, but who cares if I give every meal away to some complete stranger. Its my $$$.
But, I guess somewhere along the way this thing got abused in some way and I can live it with it.