Narcossee's and the Dining Plan

I will be on the dining plan next week and we have an first time ADR at Narcossee’s. I noticed looking at their menu on AllEars that they offer Lobster for $59 and Surf and Turf for $58. Most other entrees are around the $30 range. Do they charge anything extra if you order the Lobster or Surf and Turf compared to the other entrees? I do know that it is 2TS credits.

No, they don’t. In fact, when you divide by 2, you’re under $30 per credit, which is less than the most expensive entree at Le Cellier, less than most of the dinner buffets, and on par or less than every other restaurant that offers filet mignon.
This still goes back to many people’s complaints since 2005 that lobster is extinct in WDW.
(And yes, I have gotten the surf and turf on the dining plan)

I’m now noticing that filet mignon is disappearing from menus as well.
The homogenization of WDW menus continues, and I’m not happy about it.

Thought so, but just wanted to double check. My brother, who will be joining us, keeps giving me a hard time about the dining plan and keeps questioning it. I signed us up for the Deluxe plan for one night so I figure it will cover 2 dinners (the first night and second night) and be much cheaper than paying OOP or using TiW Card- especially since app and dessert will be included.

Thanks Soundgod!! Any recommendations from the menu?

Have you eaten at Narcoosee’s before? I think it’s highly overrated…I’ve been there twice, and I think the prices are extremely high for the quality of service and the ambience…it feels a little “tired”…IMHO…

No, we haven’t eaten there yet. We wanted to try another signature and we have been to Cali Grill. I tried to get Cali Grill, but I can’t eat at 9:45pm-especially with 3 kids ages 4,3 and 2. Narcossee’s looked better to me than Citrico’s so we picked it. I hope it turns out to be a good choice becuase my brother is a real PITA and he will complain forever if he hates it!! :laugh:

Hope it turns out well for you…maybe they’ve stepped up since I was there in 07 and 08…I’ll keep my fingers crossed that your brother is impressed…complaining brothers on a vacash is never acceptable:glare:

We love Narcoosees and have never had a meal that was not over the top delicious as well as over the top service. We have also brought our children and the kids menu is great as well. Brother should love it…make your ressies late enough to enjoy the water parade and Wishes from your table or the deck. Nice.

To each his own opinion and your mileage will vary.
I’ve always felt service to be top notch, I like the ambience of Narcoossee’s as well as the decor (it reminds me of a lot of other better restaurants in Florida) and I’ve always enjoyed my meals there. Most of the times we’ve dined there, we’ve had window tables. Maybe that helps.

Why do you feel it’s tired?

I find this interesting and confusing because I’ve been eating there since 2002 with no complaint. And I doubt very that you’re that much more critical than I am. I can be brutal when I’m not happy.

[QUOTE=johnkimv;981710]
Thanks Soundgod!! Any recommendations from the menu?[/QUOTE]

You’re on the deluxe dining plan, and I was about to recommend the seafood bisque, but I see that’s not on the menu for the first time since ever.
Consider the duck roll or crab cakes (though I’ve never tried the crab cakes before, they might be new). The shrimp appetizer is good, but there’s only 3 of them. The chowder is a new item, but if you’re trying to max out your check, go with the mussels, but only if you like mussels. My experience with all of the mussel appetizers in WDW has been that the portion is as big as an entree.

I’ve really enjoyed their crab crusted fish (they’ve changed the fish a few times, but otherwise, it’s the same recipe regardless). The tuna and salmon are also good. But if you’re looking to really max it out, it’s lobster or surf and turf.

Dessert, well, key lime creme brulee!
The cheesecake is really good too. The warm chocolate cake is probably a similar recipe to the version served at Cali Grill and Emeril’s. Even the gelato is a good bet.

:huh:Uh oh…hope I haven’t started a cat fight…or squirrel fight as the case may be…
Both times my date and I were there late in the evening…that may have had something to do with it. But I found it dirty (food on the floor), and the upholstery on the bar stools (we had a cocktail before dinner) was stained and frayed.
I thought the wine list was good, I will say…but overall I thought the ambience was lacking (yes,we sat by the window), and it just seemed under-whelming.
I’m not a restaurant snob at all…some of my favorite joints are truly joints - hole in the wall joints - but when I’m paying $150 plus for a great meal, I want it all…
Either that, or I just didn’t enjoy my date

Maybe you just didn’t enjoy your date one or both times, or maybe you were there on an off night. I can’t speak about the bar area. I am surprised that you found stuff on the floor, unless, again, you found yourself in a section where a bunch of messy eaters had just left.

And you’re not starting a fight, so don’t worry.

I like Flying Fish Cafe SOOOOOOOOO much better…
Good to know there’s no fight…no fur flying tonight!

Flying Fish is good too, though we’ve eaten at Narc’s twice as many times.
At FF, I like sitting at the kitchen counter, but that’s not always available.
And I’ve got much better things to get into knockdown dragout battles over than personal preference of Disney restaurants, despite how strong my opinions are. Just don’t get me started on what is or isn’t a proper hot dog. Let’s just say I grew up in North Jersey and I’m extremely partial to hard casing deli franks and leave it there.

Well, I’ll be sure to steer clear of the hot dog debate…thanks for warning me:cool:

We love Narcossee’s! The service was excellent and so was the food. My little one also enjoyed it. They brought her a huge cupcake with a white chocolate nemo sticking out of the top, she talked about it forever. Hope you like as much as we did!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;981732]You’re on the deluxe dining plan, and I was about to recommend the seafood bisque, but I see that’s not on the menu for the first time since ever.
Consider the duck roll or crab cakes (though I’ve never tried the crab cakes before, they might be new). The shrimp appetizer is good, but there’s only 3 of them. The chowder is a new item, but if you’re trying to max out your check, go with the mussels, but only if you like mussels. My experience with all of the mussel appetizers in WDW has been that the portion is as big as an entree.

I’ve really enjoyed their crab crusted fish (they’ve changed the fish a few times, but otherwise, it’s the same recipe regardless). The tuna and salmon are also good. But if you’re looking to really max it out, it’s lobster or surf and turf.

Dessert, well, key lime creme brulee!
The cheesecake is really good too. The warm chocolate cake is probably a similar recipe to the version served at Cali Grill and Emeril’s. Even the gelato is a good bet.[/QUOTE]

I am really more interested in good food- not worried so much about maxing out my check. I am glad to see I probably can’t go wrong with just about anything on the menu!!

We have an 8pm ADR so hopefully we can catch the water pagent and maybe the fireworks (at least from the beach if we are finished).

You haven’t which is good because we all know that…
CATS are NOT WELCOME in the land of THE Mouse. :eek:

Kim asked for opinions. People gave them - that’s all. It’s funny how people’s take can be on different places. San Angelo Inn to me is bland - I’d much rather eat at the REAL mexican resturant at home. I done it twice and it’s so far down my list I may never eat there again.

Yet some of the MBers absolutely loved it. The MBers with no taste that is. :laugh:

You are nice enough to get the ADRs. If he doesn’t like it tell him he can do all that work himself the next time! :laugh:

[QUOTE=johnkimv;981801]I am really more interested in good food- not worried so much about maxing out my check. I am glad to see I probably can’t go wrong with just about anything on the menu!!

We have an 8pm ADR so hopefully we can catch the water pagent and maybe the fireworks (at least from the beach if we are finished).[/QUOTE]

You have made a great choice. Having been in the restaurant business for 29 years, I feel I have enough experience to make a worthy critique.

The server was knowledgeable and very kid friendly. The most important aspect to me is how the younger guests are treated. she got the kids order in quickly and gave DW and I plenty of time to review their menu.

The appetizers, and entree’s had perfect balance and eye appeal. The portions were right on and we never felt rushed to finish.

As the time was approaching 9:00, I started to worry about missing Wishes. The server asked us (which I thought was great customer service) if we wanted to give her our dessert order now, and she will have it ready for us on our table AFTER we go on the deck to see and hear the piped in music for Wishes on their outside deck.

When the fireworks were over, on our table were our fabulous desserts. Save room for dessert! My DS wants to be a chef like his dear old Dad. So upon asking, the chef came out and gave him a “view of the kitchen” and introduced him to some of the line cooks.

Sadly, we will not be dining there this up-coming trip, but I do recommend it very much. :cool: