Need advise for non DDP ressies

Hi all! I have finally made up my mind and decided to take my girls and nephew to WDW after Christmas. We are leaving 12-26 and coming home 1-3. This was a last minute planning decision on my behalf so we will not be staying onsite:crying: When I called all they had was villas for over $3000 and with just me and 3 kids I wasnt about to break the bank. So I have decided to stay offsite at a Howard Johnson for $35 night. I purchased my park ticket today. I bought a 6 day base ticket. I didnt go for the hopper this time because I figure with the crowds I probally would only be at one park a day. My nephew would be able to get the Autistic pass but I hate using it but then again I will have in just in case of a melt down.

So with all that said… I will not be using the DDP this time around. I need advise on how much to budget for 1 adult and 3 kids. They range from picky eater to eats all the time:laugh:

Someone told me to either book breakfast buffets if I wanted to have character experiences instead of the dinners but looking at allears the dinners are only $10 more than breakfast. So I was thinking… Eating something in the hotel room such as poptarts or what not and then getting a snack around 12ish and then getting dinner around 4ish.

Should I do dinners or breakfast?
How much $ should I plan to spend per day for food?
should I just do counter service everyday and say forget the sit downs?

HELP!!! Thanks in advance!!

Do the breakfasts…they are less crazy and less expensive. Keep in mind that they have an extra charge for many places during the holidays.

Bkfast for 4 = $80
Snack or counter for 4 = $50
Drinks or snack = $30

So budget a minimum of $160 if you are going to do the breakfasts and budget no less than $200 if you are going to do dinners…add in spending money and you are talking a round-about figure of $200+ if you eat breakfasts only or $250plus if you are doing dinner…that’s if you are really strict about what they can and can’t get. I suggest telling people to get them Disney Dollars for xmas and let them all have $10-$15 of their own money and that is it.

I would budget about $200 a day for food.

You are going at a crazy busy time. Get to the parks early and get as much done as possible. However, that would make breakfast buffets hard to do unless you plan a late breakfast in the park. I would also think about some lunches, it’s cheaper than dinner and a nice mid-day break.

[QUOTE=DisneyTeacher;859264]I would budget about $200 a day for food.

You are going at a crazy busy time. Get to the parks early and get as much done as possible. However, that would make breakfast buffets hard to do unless you plan a late breakfast in the park. I would also think about some lunches, it’s cheaper than dinner and a nice mid-day break.[/QUOTE]

Dt has a good point. you could do the breakfast if you book the latest one possible and make it a brunch. Plan it for a place NEAR a park that is hosting morning EMH…it will benefit you to use them going this time of the year.

My kids don’t care to eat breakfast in a restaurant at WDW, because they want to go go go!Last time we did a breakfast there, I remember the rolling of the eyes when we had to wait a few minutes at the table, and so we have toast or cereal and race out the door to the parks.

They lvoe to break up the day with a nice lunch, even if it is CS. And the dinners are their all-time favorite thing.

Hope that helps.

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;859173] My nephew would be able to get the Autistic pass but I hate using it but then again I will have in just in case of a melt down.
[/QUOTE]

If you have never been there with those huge crowds and an autistic child, make sure you contact Disney first to see what they are requiring to get that card. They have been cracking down the use of those cards because some folks with children who have ADHD have been claiming their children have Autism just to get the passes. Disney does not give them out for ADHD. Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome Spectrum Disorders get them. My son is an Aspie, but, very high functioning. Regular school, sports, etc. So, I understand not wanting to use them. We don’t. We have only had one major breakdown when he was 30 months old and that could have happened with any child that age.

I took my nephew 2 years ago and only had a few problems with him. Not too mny over a 10 day trip. I ALWAYS take the doctors papers with us just in case since Im not his mom. Ya never know when you will need it

Thanks all for all the advise. I may look into the lunches. I asked the kids last night if they could do just ONE dinner what would it be and they all came back with Chef Mickeys.
Dana~ I told everyone in the family to get them the Disney Dollars. My mom bought all the kids a Wii last year so Im sure getting Disney dollars will be no problem. She actually is getting my nephews MYW Ticket. Im going to give him the Disney Dollars. I purchased pins yesterday from the Disney Store. They were $2.99 for 2 pins on a blue lanyard. Cant beat it!

My kids love having a big breakfast and then just grabbing a snack at lunch. For dinner, they’re happy with simple things (which is what they’d get if I did a big dinner anyway). They want chicken nuggets or pizza at dinner, so I’d plan for a larger breakfast.

I agree! We have never been during the week of Christmas- but we have been the week before- and it is crowed then! A late brunch would give you the chance to get into a park early and do as m uch as you can before the parks get crazy packed. Then a nice brunch would be a good break.

When we went the week before Christmas, we were at the parks 1/2 before they opened. We were able to go on a ton of rides . But by 11- 12 or so it started to get really packed…and time to take a break!

I was just on allears checking the prices for breakfast compared to lunch.
I booked 4:00~4:30 dinners a few days ago. When I did that i had in mind that the kids can grab something quick in the hotel and then by 4 ish they would be hungry so we would eat dinner 4 ish and that would be good enough then they can get a late snack and then bed… We are the type that we dont really take breaks while in the parks. If we do its to sit on a bench for 5 minutes :laugh: My kids including Ryan (my nephew) are very “active” and cant sit still while in WDW :laugh:

:laugh: we didn’t get the dining plan for the first time in April. DS brought his best friend and both had just turned 10. We had a large meal at lunch, which worked out well. None of us are big breakfast people, we ate at Fultons Crab House, Liberty Tree, Garden Grille ,Mama Melrose( I think thats the name in DHS) Crystal Palace and the Coral Reef. We budgeted 150.00 per day for food for 2 adults and 2 kids. It worked out well for us that trip:laugh:

OK. So I have made ressies for 1900 park fare 4:10 dinner
Ohanna’s 4:20 dinner
Chef Mickeys 4:15 dinner

I think that if we eat in the hotel BEFORE getting to the parks and then perhaps getting a little snack at 12 ish we should be good to go…

Im tellin ya… I miss not being on the DDP

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;859173]Hi all! I have finally made up my mind and decided to take my girls and nephew to WDW after Christmas. We are leaving 12-26 and coming home 1-3. This was a last minute planning decision on my behalf so we will not be staying onsite:crying: When I called all they had was villas for over $3000 and with just me and 3 kids I wasnt about to break the bank. So I have decided to stay offsite at a Howard Johnson for $35 night. I purchased my park ticket today. I bought a 6 day base ticket. I didnt go for the hopper this time because I figure with the crowds I probally would only be at one park a day. My nephew would be able to get the Autistic pass but I hate using it but then again I will have in just in case of a melt down.

So with all that said… I will not be using the DDP this time around. I need advise on how much to budget for 1 adult and 3 kids. They range from picky eater to eats all the time:laugh:

Someone told me to either book breakfast buffets if I wanted to have character experiences instead of the dinners but looking at allears the dinners are only $10 more than breakfast. So I was thinking… Eating something in the hotel room such as poptarts or what not and then getting a snack around 12ish and then getting dinner around 4ish.

Should I do dinners or breakfast?
How much $ should I plan to spend per day for food?
should I just do counter service everyday and say forget the sit downs?

HELP!!! Thanks in advance!![/QUOTE]

If you are staying at the Howard Johnson Maingate, they have an IHOP next door, where kids used to eat free and there’s a Boston Market withing walking distance.

Oh! thats great! This IS where we are staying now:laugh: Have you stayed there before?

Kids eat Free at IHOP??? Where is this? I will definitely go there if this is true! :happy: I LOVE IHOP!!! Saving money = excuse to go to IHOP more often on vacation! :happy: