Need advise on Spirit Air

Hi all. I have never used Spirit before and just booked them for Sept 1-6 out of AC to MCO. I paid $429 for 4 of us RT and that includes the $39.99 for the $9 club and $150 in taxes. I was going to book RT for next weekend 5-29 5-31 and stay at SSR for a few nights because I rec an Email today for $17 one way tickets so I come home to book and the price for 2 tickets went from $17 one way to $240 RT for 2 people:confused: So basically did I do the wrong thing and book Spirit for Sept? I didnt know I would have to pay for bags and seats until AFTER they charged my cc. I always flw SWA BUT they wanted $1023 for the same dates and amount of people.
Im thinking of buying a purple locker in Sept so when I do go down I wont have to pay for a ton of bags.
Is it free to carry on a backpack on spirit?

any advise on this airline would be super! Thanks

The bags are going to run you a solid extra hundred if you take one bag per person…that per trip…hundred back. then you have to pay to pick your seat…yes, that is another $40+ depending on which seats you pick. the carr=on luggage now costs money, so you can only take one personal bag. The tickets are nonrefundable and if you find a coupon or deal later, no changing the reservation and getting a credit. they charge you for that too. That $429 R/T for four people is going to double by the time you get done with all the charges. I am booked with them for August…have taken them three times and the ONLY reason I continue to is I like to fly out of Atlantic city. The best part of that is the parking…dirt cheap in a safe lot.

Thanks Dana. I am so mad at myself for not researching this. I think Im going to stuff me and the 2 kids in 1 bag which is $15 going and stuff Ed into a back pack which is free then who cares where we sit on the way home because we may be all tired of one another by the end of the trip :laugh: I seen the cheap fare and jumped without thinking

I know the feeling. Flying out of Atlantic City is a true pleasure however, so that’s some comfort for you for picking Spirit. I honestly pay the extra for Spirit to fly out of there…annoys the heck out of me, but it really is worth it to a degree.

I feel the opposite,I would sacrifice convenience in order to send a message,travel should never be a gotcha enterprise,pricing should be clear and up front,If you wereto purchase a blouse at nordstrom,would you be happy if after the fact they said the addon fees ,like using the dressing room,or electricity cost surcharge because you shopped when electric rates for that day were higher,no i am a one price guy,tell me the costs i am usually not a happy camper when there is a surprise,like oh you paid for travel,now you must pay for the seat to travel…

It’s absolutely worth it to us to fly out of Atlantic City. It’s close to home (15 minutes) which is a big deal to me since we usually fly out early (6:00 to 6:30 in the morning.) The airport is very small and easy to get through security. There is plenty of parking available which is important for those driving themselves to the airport. We usually get a relative or a service to take us and pick us up. Yeah, there are those pesky fees, but I’m used to them by now and know what to expect. It’s just worth the convenience.

We disagree. I pay for service and convience every day of my life. I go to a corner store near my house and pay $1 more for this and that and could care less. The people service the heck out of me, are friendly and it’s close to my home.

I could have EASILY waitied and booked Soutwest and flew out of philly and saved some money. I CHOSE not to do that because I like the Atlantic City airport. It’s small, easy to navigate and the staff is always pleasant. I am a terrible flyer and having this nice experience BEFORE the flight helps immensely. Also, my GF is coming with me with her 6 year old son for her first trip to WDW. She is only staying 5 days (I am staying ten) and I thought her traveling back to the AC airport would be easier. The luggage claim is mere foot steps from the gates and it will be easier for her to be picked up curb side which is directly outside the door of the baggage claim. Navigating the Philadelphia airport with a small, active child alone is no picnic for a seasoned traveler, let alone a new traveler.

I was not happy about the surprise fees the first time they started them. I was already booked and would have lost more than the price of the extras if I cancelled and rebooked elsewhere. I chose to fly them this time knowing I was going to pay all of the above.

To each their own.

[QUOTE=Dana;1033313]We disagree. I pay for service and convience every day of my life. I go to a corner store near my house and pay $1 more for this and that and could care less. The people service the heck out of me, are friendly and it’s close to my home.

I could have EASILY waitied and booked Soutwest and flew out of philly and saved some money. I CHOSE not to do that because I like the Atlantic City airport. It’s small, easy to navigate and the staff is always pleasant. I am a terrible flyer and having this nice experience BEFORE the flight helps immensely. Also, my GF is coming with me with her 6 year old son for her first trip to WDW. She is only staying 5 days (I am staying ten) and I thought her traveling back to the AC airport would be easier. The luggage claim is mere foot steps from the gates and it will be easier for her to be picked up curb side which is directly outside the door of the baggage claim. Navigating the Philadelphia airport with a small, active child alone is no picnic for a seasoned traveler, let alone a new traveler.

I was not happy about the surprise fees the first time they started them. I was already booked and would have lost more than the price of the extras if I cancelled and rebooked elsewhere. I chose to fly them this time knowing I was going to pay all of the above.

To each their own.[/QUOTE]my point is that we have to make a statement,to any vendor who believes and practices the fact that they operate under the gotcha philosophy,we do disagree because I can never patronize any company that plays that game,same with car dealers I only do business with the ones that are not TO houses ,you know who they are they try to confuse and distract, and act like they are doing you a favor I just bought a new car and it took no more than 15 minutes to get the deal and close it…

I understood your point completely. I booked knowing that I would pay all of the above charges. Tink would have known too if she researched before she bought. There are no hidden charges. The new carry-on fee is new and anyone who booked prior to their announcement doesn’t pay it. There isn’t anything hidden. She didn’t research…she saw cheap fare and jumped without looking into it.

that is the gotcha method,just like looking fo a hotel room ,you find one that is competitive,then you find out this particular site charges service fees that make it no bargain whatsoever…I do business with companies that are upfront and honest…I really don’t have the time to be inspector clouseau

Thanks all on your advise with Spirit. Im going to give them an honest try. I do realize I have to pay for my bags and seats which till comes way cheaper than the $1024 that SWA wants for the same trip and same amount of people. I think Spirit will be cheaper in the long run when its just Madison and I because I plan on getting a owners locker so I can basically stuff the both of us into a small carryon or each do a back pack kind of thing but again I have asked my MB family and friends at work and it basically came down to %98 love Spirit and gave it great reviews. The only bad thing to me is when I call I dont get Americans online and I personally hate that because I need to feel that they know what they are talking about and not looking at a notebook with stickies all over it but again Im going to give them an honest try. Besides its too late to decide to go back now. I hit the purchase button. :laugh:

[QUOTE=tinkerbelle24;1033409]Thanks all on your advise with Spirit. Im going to give them an honest try. I do realize I have to pay for my bags and seats which till comes way cheaper than the $1024 that SWA wants for the same trip and same amount of people. I think Spirit will be cheaper in the long run when its just Madison and I because I plan on getting a owners locker so I can basically stuff the both of us into a small carryon or each do a back pack kind of thing but again I have asked my MB family and friends at work and it basically came down to %98 love Spirit and gave it great reviews. The only bad thing to me is when I call I dont get Americans online and I personally hate that because I need to feel that they know what they are talking about and not looking at a notebook with stickies all over it but again Im going to give them an honest try. Besides its too late to decide to go back now. I hit the purchase button. :laugh:[/QUOTE]it is what it is…the bottom line is you are going TO WDW.SWA has been kind of slow recently with promos…what I like about SWA is I purchase it at a comfortable fare if the price goes down I just rebook and they put the difference in a ticketless travel fund…what i like is the felxibilty,also if some reason and I have to cancel I just cancel and they charge nothing …and I get to keep my money for future travel…

Me TOO!!! Thats what I was telling my husband. I hate change and I :heart: SWA. I know what to expect and what not to. They ALWAYS get me there ontime and never late. I have always had wonderful fares with them in all my years going to Disney. I once got RT tickets for a party of 5 for $525 RT with tax. I just love them BUT when I checked it out this time it was over $1000 and I wasnt going for that. I think when its all done and said with bags and seats its going to run me probally another $100 which isnt too too bad because this past time it was $550 ish RT 2 people which I hated the thought of booking but like you said it is what it is. My friend at work said they flew Spirit a few months back for $39 rt PP so hopefully Ill see some of that now with my $9 club fare

I really don’t understand this conversation at this point. I understand how you feel and where you are coming from. I disagree and that’s really it. I am not looking to debate this. I simply stated what I felt. Most people research things before purchasing. The thread starter admitted that she didn’t look into it in and admitted that the low fare made her book without thinking. That was the only point I made. When something is to good to be true, it is. There is nothing hidden about that. You can do business with anyone you choose to.

Aside from having to ala carte your flight, I have no complaints about their service at all. Their flights leave on time and their staff is friendly. The curb side guys at the Orlando airport are kinda crappy and I don’t suggest using them unless you must.

I agree…we have always gotten good, friendly service. The only time our flight was delayed was because of fog at ACY on our return trip.