Need laptop and internet at Disney

We leave in 12 days…WHOOOT!

I will need to take a laptop along for business and also need internet access while there. I am thinking I may just bubble wrap my laptop and pack it up to send off via UPS or FedEx rather than carrying it through security or even worse in the checked baggage. I am interested in thoughts to that end from folks. Has anyone done this? I would then need to ship it back home again but if I pack tape to re-seal it before we leave I would think the concierge could help with that.

Additionally I need internet access while there…we are staying at POFQ and I was wondering how to get connected to the internet either from the room or another area of the hotel.

Lastly, I am able to write this trip of as a business expense but need to get to the Orlando Convention Center one day. Would it be better to take a cab or to rent a car?

Sorry for all of these questions but I just know there are members here who will have the answers. Thanks for looking

[QUOTE=copcarguyp71;1052845]We leave in 12 days…WHOOOT!

I will need to take a laptop along for business and also need internet access while there. I am thinking I may just bubble wrap my laptop and pack it up to send off via UPS or FedEx rather than carrying it through security or even worse in the checked baggage. I am interested in thoughts to that end from folks. Has anyone done this? I would then need to ship it back home again but if I pack tape to re-seal it before we leave I would think the concierge could help with that.
[/quote]

If you can carry your laptop on. There is a lot more chance FedEx or UPS will damage your laptop then if you carry it through security. If you are going to ship it see if you can get the original box or park it in a box with in a box bubble wrapping the computer in the first box and then bubble wrap the first box in the second box.

Additionally I need internet access while there…we are staying at POFQ and I was wondering how to get connected to the internet either from the room or another area of the hotel.

You can get internet access in room for $9.99 a 24 your period. There aren’t a lot of options past that.

Lastly, I am able to write this trip of as a business expense but need to get to the Orlando Convention Center one day. Would it be better to take a cab or to rent a car?

You can have the desk call you a taxi.

Sorry for all of these questions but I just know there are members here who will have the answers. Thanks for looking

No worries. Have a good time.

If you can use your cell phone as a port and plug your laptop to it you might be able to save the daily charge. Ask your provider.

Well I forgot that my DD gets a carry-on as well so we will use her allowance to get the laptop onboard. I hate having to take it with me but answering tons of email from the iPhone gets too tedious and I have big fingers that are not user friendly to the teensy touchscreen keyboard. AT$T (not a typo) is out of their mind with what they want to charge me to tether my iPhone to the laptop but it looks like Verizon has a pretty cool unlimited access wireless card that plugs into USB and only costs $30/week. I will stop by a retail location and see about that this week.

Wish I could just leave it at home but being the boss definitley has its’ down sides as well. Thanks for the advice!

Whatever you decide please dont ship or put it in checked luggage, I doubt very much it would survive the kind of handling those checked bags receive!
We always carry on things such as laptops and portable DVD players- all they ask is that your remove them from their sleeve/case for security.
I find the Disney area pretty poor internet wise. Most hotels now have wi-fi areas and in this modern world it is sometimes necessary to keep in touch whilst on the go, and not necessarily in the room.
Have a wonderful time whatever you decide.

Check with your airline. I always thought that purses, briefcases and laptops weren’t considered carry ons.

Good point, although they are considered carry ons with the ones we’ve ever flown with- but then we are long haul.

With SW, I carried a backpack (think school bag size, not crossing Europe) and a laptop bag . I have a 17 in laptop, so it was not tiny.

I board with a small carry on and my oversized breifcase w/ laptop inside for work trips. I have never been stopped.
But then again it might just be the carry on is really small so I can survive overnight if my bag is not routed properly.

For carry on, a passenger is allowed a briefcase sized item that can be stored under the seat in front of you and a size compliant overnight bag or other size compliant item that fits overhead.

For the past 5 years I have brought my laptop with me to Disney world (mostly to write trip reports). I have always carried it on the plane, because I do not trust other options. Just make sure that you put your laptop in a separate container at security. Also check into luggage options you can either get a backpack with a laptop area in it. We have a carry on luggage that on the bottom as a padded spot for my laptop cause i carry enough electronics in my backpack so it will be safe, secure, and with you. Those pieces of luggage’s are not expensive I think we bought ours at Target for like $60. Best piece of luggage that I have ever bought.

As far as Internet goes at the resort there is a $9.95 fee for a 24 hour period in the rooms and some of the older hotels do not have wireless but they do give you an eithernet cable for you to connect too. Other options you can get a wireless card that plugs into your USB port from any wireless provider I just do not know the rates. Also some phones now aways will let you share the internet…

Hope this answers all your questions