Need some Birthday Ideas/Recommendations

Greetings Fellow Forumites!

We are new to this forum, but are excited to get started. We have been to Disney many times, and are a DVC member.

This August we will be in The World over my two daughters’ birthday: they will be 13 and 12. We are looking for some ideas to “do something” with them that isn’t crazy pricey. They are too old for Boutigue stuff, and seem to be too young to do some of the other adult oriented things. They already have their birthday dinners planned and booked, but momma is struggling to find something to do for them.

Any ideas for ladies of this age?

Thanks in advance for anything you may share.

Hello and welcome to Mousebuzz!

How about a Wishes Cruise? It’s a little higher in price, but if you give it to both of them, pretty reasonable over two separate activities. My Wishes Cruise was a total of $292.88. Break this down and it’s $146.44 per child…nothing “girlie” at Disney is going to be much lower than that. Heck, mani/pedis will run you $120 before tip. just an idea.

Got a household of boys this way, but I’ve always thought that having tea at the Garden View Lounge at the Grand Floridian would be a fun, girl thing to do:

Garden View Lounge Afternoon Tea - Grand Floridian

Welcome to mouse buzz… how about ordering a Disney cake to be delivered to the room, you can also go to down town Disney and have special t-shirts made for them to wear.

I did the shirt making one year for DD’s birthday - was fun and got her extra special attention. Good idea!

Welcome to MB.

If you have not already done so, your about to enter the wonderful years of “How am I going to keep my teen kid happy in the World and not strangle them in the process”.

We found by giving them some freedom they were ok with gracing us with their presence. After all, why pay for food when mom and dad will pick up the bill.:laugh:

Also, letting them go off on their own worked well. At first it was in the same park were in. As they got older (at least one had to be 15) they could sleep in late as we left for the parks and meet up with us later. Or they could leave the park and go back to the hotel midday on their own. As to things to do, would they like a night at Disney Quest. You could drop them off with instructions they had to stay there, have a quiet adult dinner alone, and meet up with them later.

Play it by ear. Your age difference is not a 6 year spread like ours was. Funny thing was that even to this day our youngest DD never wants to leave our side since she is worried she would miss something. And it was the same way this past fall, even with her now being 23.

Splitsville is open, maybe some bowling? Not sure how much it will cost, but there is always the Keys to the Castle tour, I have never done it but I have been told it is pretty cool. I am sure any type of girls spa day will be expensive.

[QUOTE=bethishooked;1134189]Got a household of boys this way, but I’ve always thought that having tea at the Garden View Lounge at the Grand Floridian would be a fun, girl thing to do:

Garden View Lounge Afternoon Tea - Grand Floridian[/QUOTE]

I agree with Beth! I have two daughters and we absolutely love having Tea at the GF. We started this tradition when they were about your daughter’s age. Years later we’re still taking Tea every trip.

…gotta remember to do this next time----do you need to make reservations way out ahead of time for it? You know me—we don’t plan reservations for anything but room 6 months out!!! :closedeye

Well, that’s hard to say - we’ve sometimes made a reservation for the same day and sometimes I’ve reserved in advance; like maybe a month or so. We’re not much at planning either - but I always make sure to set aside a couple of hours for Tea.

Oh I can do a month or so in advance—that would be ok. I think I will plan on doing this next visit. Thank you for helping.

Maybe a different small thing each day so that it doesn’t get too costly. I’ve posted years ago about DW’s bday. We celebrate “birthday week” so each day there was some sort of surprise for her. One day it was flowers in the shape of a cake in the hotel room waiting for her when we returned from the park (Disney Florist). Another day it was a cake waiting for her at Chef Mickey’s. Those two examples are a little most expensive but as Dana says, if you break it down per person, it isn’t really and in fact may be a little less. I also had smaller items on some days with a birthday card that tied in to a specific event at the park. For example, I gave her a birthday card with fireworks on it and gave it to her at MK during the fireworks show. This takes a lot of pre-planning but it is always appreciated. Pick something like small stuffed animals and give them to the girls while you are having lunch at AK. Or if you just want to do a one shot type of thing, consider a photo session with Disney. You can do certain packages at just one of the Disney Hotels for a reasonable price. I also agree with getting shirts celebrating the day or the week. While some at that age don’t like participating, it does bring the group together and you get lots of special attention from the CM’s.

Can I tag along next time?:wub:

You know you absolutely can!:heart:

…just be sure you use milk and not cream in your tea! :happy:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You have learned the lesson well, Grasshopper.:closedeye

Thank you one and all. My wife and her girl friend (who is coming with us with her daughter) have been hitting the computer HARD looking at things to do. We found and got reservations for the Tommorowland Terrace Dessert Party during the fireworks. We are going to tell their girls that this is their “unofficial” birthday celebration. We couldn’t think of a better “Party” than a VIP-type party with sweets and great views of the fireworks.

Has anyone done this in the past? Again, we are new to this site so I throw the newbie towel regarding searching for stuff - I’ll learn all of the functions eventually!

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. Regarding the “flying solo” of letting them have an extended leash, not a chance. You don’t know my girls. Both recently “entered adulthood” if you know what I mean and mom is in a never ending war with them…

Thank you all for the welcome!

Paul and Liana

[QUOTE=DoomBugger;1134323]Thank you one and all. My wife and her girl friend (who is coming with us with her daughter) have been hitting the computer HARD looking at things to do. We found and got reservations for the Tommorowland Terrace Dessert Party during the fireworks. We are going to tell their girls that this is their “unofficial” birthday celebration. We couldn’t think of a better “Party” than a VIP-type party with sweets and great views of the fireworks.

Has anyone done this in the past? Again, we are new to this site so I throw the newbie towel regarding searching for stuff - I’ll learn all of the functions eventually!

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. Regarding the “flying solo” of letting them have an extended leash, not a chance. You don’t know my girls. Both recently “entered adulthood” if you know what I mean and mom is in a never ending war with them…

Paul and Liana[/QUOTE]

Paul—“LittleMissMagic” (aka Victoria) a member here posted pictures from that dessert party if I am not mistaken. Go up top to search, and type in dessert party or fireworks or something like that and see if you can find her report. It was very good. I wanted to do this last August but it was not available. I believe they only offer it certain times of the year… I think this is an excellent birthday celebration!!!

[QUOTE=DoomBugger;1134323]Thank you one and all. My wife and her girl friend (who is coming with us with her daughter) have been hitting the computer HARD looking at things to do. We found and got reservations for the Tommorowland Terrace Dessert Party during the fireworks. We are going to tell their girls that this is their “unofficial” birthday celebration. We couldn’t think of a better “Party” than a VIP-type party with sweets and great views of the fireworks.

Paul and Liana[/QUOTE]

I was going to suggest just exactly that…the Wishes Desert Party…we have never done it but it sure sounds fun! Also, you might look into the carriage rides at Port Orleans resort…a 30 minute carriage ride is $40-$45…we did it last year and loved it!!!