New design for room keys/new locks

I just saw on another board that the room keys have a slightly new design. I think this is related to the new door locks. Any first hand knowledge? How do the new door locks work?

…looks like it’s just tap to open—sounds like how some Visa and Master Cards and just wave in front of the “swipe” thing—guess we will just hold it up near the lock to unlock…I never saw anything wrong with the swipe keys but this way perhaps it wont get demagnetized as sometimes happens.

New Key to the World cards coming to Disney World resorts - Disney News

lol I’m trying to remember the last time we had an actual key to the rooms at WDW! Cant even remember now.

Ooo…I get to try them at AA in September.

oh ummmm—you look stunning in that outfit----but where’s your tutu?:biggrin:

[QUOTE=smallworld;1114775]…looks like it’s just tap to open—sounds like how some Visa and Master Cards and just wave in front of the “swipe” thing—guess we will just hold it up near the lock to unlock…I never saw anything wrong with the swipe keys but this way perhaps it wont get demagnetized as sometimes happens.

New Key to the World cards coming to Disney World resorts - Disney News

lol I’m trying to remember the last time we had an actual key to the rooms at WDW! Cant even remember now.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. We’ll be there is 25 days to see first hand. Love the tap to open the door.

Sounds like an embedded RFID chip.

Attention hackers: On your marks! Get set! Hack the World!!!

LMM just reported this in her TR of Rachael’s Grad trip. She posted a pic of her new card while at BC.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1114833]Sounds like an embedded RFID chip.

Attention hackers: On your marks! Get set! Hack the World!!![/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking. What is going to be stored in the room key and what anti spoofing will they build into this?

I am a big fan of what nextGen. Personally I would be buying a anti RFID sleeve for my key and all the keys in my party (you can make one with tinfoil).

There is so much cool stuff that they can do with this tech. I hope they invested in some good security experts to help build robust security into nextGen.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1114833]Sounds like an embedded RFID chip.

Attention hackers: On your marks! Get set! Hack the World!!![/QUOTE]

ugggh. All hackers please only hack the Grand Floridian rooms. j/k

[QUOTE=tigger;1114841]That is what I was thinking. What is going to be stored in the room key and what anti spoofing will they build into this?

I am a big fan of what nextGen. Personally I would be buying a anti RFID sleeve for my key and all the keys in my party (you can make one with tinfoil).

There is so much cool stuff that they can do with this tech. I hope they invested in some good security experts to help build robust security into nextGen.[/QUOTE]

One of my friends gave me one of those anti-RFID cases for Christmas. Guess I’ll be bringing it with me, besides, it’s supposed to be waterproof.

Instead of foil, if you’ve got one of those anti static bags for computer parts laying around, would that work?

I also hope they designed some very robust security into this system and rang out all the exploits, back doors, and holes before they rolled it out.

With luck, it’s proprietary and doesn’t use Windows, Unix, iOS, Android, Mac, or even Linux. That way, it will be a bit more bulletproof.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1114848]One of my friends gave me one of those anti-RFID cases for Christmas. Guess I’ll be bringing it with me, besides, it’s supposed to be waterproof.

Instead of foil, if you’ve got one of those anti static bags for computer parts laying around, would that work?

I also hope they designed some very robust security into this system and rang out all the exploits, back doors, and holes before they rolled it out.[/QUOTE]

Oh good idea about the anti static bags----

Outwardly, it didn’t seem any different than what’s been in use, beyond a slight change of the graphics.
I was hoping to see the new “lock”, but out of all those pictures (nice stuff), not a single picture of the new door lock.
Oh well. Even in the 21st Century, you can’t always get what you want:tongue:

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/trip-reports/59818-lmms-sister-just-graduated-trip-world-non-disney-cruise-14.html

Don’t think she got any pictures of the locks as the report states those were installed at BCV

I don’t think the anti static bag would work. Don’t known for sure though.

RFID isn’t platform specific. Any of this will work if they have an RFID energizer. The RFID tag is dormant until an energizer puts out a radio wave which causes the RFID tag to broadcast. Then the energizer reads the broadcast. You can hook up a energizer to any computer with a USB port and software to run the energizer.

Some RFID tag only broadcast a few inches. I suspect that is what they use in the keys. The bracelets probably use tags that have a broadcast strength of 3 to 10 feet.

My Sunpass refid broadcast over 100 feet and is smaller than half a dime.

…so…if my park hopper passes are on my room key…someone could really mess things up with a reader nearby right? Hmmmm. Wonder what other information is on that room key…

The RFID only has an id code that is than tied back to information in a database somewhere. I can think of a number of holes and I am no smarty so I am sure Disney has covered them.

The biggest threat would be someone reading your cards RFID and then spoofing your ID. I am sure that Disney has covered this.

[QUOTE=tigger;1114856]I don’t think the anti static bag would work. Don’t known for sure though.

RFID isn’t platform specific. Any of this will work if they have an RFID energizer. The RFID tag is dormant until an energizer puts out a radio wave which causes the RFID tag to broadcast. Then the energizer reads the broadcast. You can hook up a energizer to any computer with a USB port and software to run the energizer.

Some RFID tag only broadcast a few inches. I suspect that is what they use in the keys. The bracelets probably use tags that have a broadcast strength of 3 to 10 feet.

My Sunpass refid broadcast over 100 feet and is smaller than half a dime.[/QUOTE]

I have a solar powered calculator!

And I can choose my own ringtone for my phone!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1114851]Outwardly, it didn’t seem any different than what’s been in use, beyond a slight change of the graphics.
I was hoping to see the new “lock”, but out of all those pictures (nice stuff), not a single picture of the new door lock.
Oh well. Even in the 21st Century, you can’t always get what you want:tongue:[/QUOTE]

Ah, I knew you didn’t read my TRs for fun… you were purely on a treasure hunt! I am offended, Soundgod!

There weren’t any new door locks in the Beach Club Resort when I was there (at least not on any of the million halls I had to walk through to get to my room) - the woman that I spoke with at the pool said that they were over at the villas. All you had to do was wave your key in front of the door.

I’ve seen pictures, though… I’ll go find one for you to since you are doubting my reporting ability. :dry: :laugh:

Here… found a pic of a RFID lock at the Art of Animation Resort (AllEarsNet). Appreciate me, Soundgod! :laugh:

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1114871]Here… found a pic of a RFID lock at the Art of Animation Resort (AllEarsNet). Appreciate me, Soundgod! :laugh:

http://allears.net/acc/artanim/nemoroom22.jpg[/QUOTE]

Welcome to Disney prison? Wow are those just…blah.