New DLR Splash Mountain Height Requirement

From: Disneyland Park Update (Disneyland Park Update) by MousePlanet Staff on January 14, 2008

New Splash Mountain height requirement

Several members of our MousePad discussion boards have recently reported a new height requirement at Splash Mountain, and reader “houseofmouse” contacted Disneyland to get the official policy and learned that riders must be at least 60" (5 feet) tall in order to ride in the front seat of the log. Houseofmouse says they were told the new policy was “due to the fact little kids can slip under the front of the log and get injured.” Some parents are upset by this policy because it means that a taller person will be in front of their children during the ride, not only blocking their view but making it difficult to see them on the ride photo.

They are upset that it might block the pic? Hmmmmmm, interesting.:glare:

But for me, I am a little upset that now it feels a little like there is a risk involved in the ride, and I am kind of a big baby about ride safety. :blush:

By the way, is the DLR version the same as the WDW ride?

My thoughts exactly.

I don’t know if that’s still the case, but the logs in DL used to be one person per seat - WDW, two riders per seat

The logs are much narrower than the WDW ones and you do sit one behind another separated by a backrest. :smile:

I am looking at the ride photo, so I guess this means that a kid could slip down inside log, in the area where the front person’s feet would go?

I guess this is a lot less scary to me than thinking they mean that a kid could slip under the front of the whole boat, on the outside!

Hope they mean the first one…

I think so…my 9yo rode in front the last time we were there with no problem but I do believe that there is more leg room in the front of the DLR version then the one in WDW. So a little one could slide down there and bounce around a bit but not fall out.

I think it is the fact there is no roll bar to keep anyone in… :mellow:

This is an extra foot in height. :blink:

40" - 48" was the normal height requirement for all the thrill rides in Disneyland…

Not anymore. :pinch:

Yikes…I barely qualify to sit in the front seat!:eek:

Wow, don’t you think that instead of changing the Height Requirement that they could just make it safer. That really leaves alot of people out.

Has this actually happened to any child that has forced Disney to instigate this new height ruling??

This new Height Requirement is just for the front seat. So smaller kids can still ride, just not in the front.:smile:

I think the back seat, were two people can sit side by side, is a great option for those with small children:)

Well that makes sense then.

Me too!! :eek:

Not that you would ever catch me on that ride anyway.:redface:

Another one of said “issues”?:huh: :tongue:

And what if it is?:pirate:

Actually, I have never been on the one in DLR, so I guess I can’t have issues about it yet.

I think this is probably a good rule…I’m only 5’3", and the front of the log comes up pretty high on my chest when I sit in the front seat. I can definitely see how little children could kind of slip underneath that.

But no worries MissDis, they definitely don’t mean that a child could slip OUT of the log…just into the “cavity”, if you will, that’s in the front of the log.

I can’t believe that parents would prefer a good picture or view over safety. I’m sure you can see plenty on the ride and the photo taken is at such an angle that you probably can see everyone in the pictures.
They have similar ride at Storyland in NH. I have pictures and you can see all the kids even if they are behind someone a lot larger than them. I think they take the picture from the side.

That’s a good point…I’m gazing at our Splash picture right now, and it’s taken at an angle from the right side of the log. DH is very tall and he’s sitting in front of a little girl - the only reason you can’t quite see all of her is because she’s crouching down. If she were sitting up, you could see her just fine!

I read on another Disney board that the concern was neck injuries. Small children were ducking down and putting their heads under the front of the ‘log’ thing and that put their head/neck in the perfect place for a neck injury if the log suddenly stopped or hit another log.