New dvc resort leaked

i saw this on WDW News Today

An interesting document has leaked onto the internet confirming Disney Vacation Club will be building another resort at Walt Disney World in the next few years. Earlier this year, rumors of a California-themed resort to be located between Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort began circulating. Well, it seems those rumors are true:

DISNEY VACATION CLUB CALIFORNIA COAST HOTEL – ORLANDO, FLORIDA

Disney Vacation Club decided to extend its hotel experience with their new California Coast Resort at H1, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, Florida. George Coon was invited by the DVC Design Team to work under the direct supervision of GSB Architects, and Mr. Wing Chao, providing design direction for this next and possibly best of the DVC properties in Orlando. California’s remarkable coast offers an experience of recognizable icons which were chosen to be represented in separate hotel experiences including; Venice Beach, Casa del Mar, Montage, the Balboa Pavilion, Laguna Hills, Newport Beach, and Santa Barbara. The project is presently in the Schematic Design Phase.

COMPLETION DATE: Estimated 2012

SIZE: Estimated 1,208 units

PROJECT COST: To Be Determined

Oh that sounds great, what sort of things would be California style- as one who has never been there? I’m sure it will be amazing-thanks for the info.

Yes, that is what I’m wondering. What yells “this IS California”?

Really? After the theming debacle that is Disney California Adventure, they haven’t learned yet that “California” isn’t a theme?

:laugh:Andrea,tell me about the California Adventure - what is it and where is it?
I just thought I didn’t know ‘California’ theming cos I’m a foreigner:laugh: So I am genuinely interested to know what the Disney take is on it?

if you look at the link, this firm has done several resorts for disney. should be interesting…

[QUOTE=dixie;1055826]:laugh:Andrea,tell me about the California Adventure - what is it and where is it?
I just thought I didn’t know ‘California’ theming cos I’m a foreigner:laugh: So I am genuinely interested to know what the Disney take is on it?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm…

The easy part to answer is that California Adventure is right across the promenade from Disneyland. You can walk right out the front gate, go about 100 yards (??? I’m terrible at distances) and go into California Adventure.

The original Disney take was to represent different areas of California.
San Francisco, the Redwoods/Yosemite, etc., Hollywood… and then a Victorian Era boardwalk. Oh, and A Bug’s Land. Because why not? Everything else was kind of a mishmash… and seemed to be done on the cheap.

And the execution was such a disaster that it’s currently undergoing a billion-dollar revamp.

It seems to be keeping the name… but they seem to be barely trying for California, adding Cars Land and a Little Mermaid ride. Still, everything they’ve been doing seems to be a huge improvement.

I honestly think it just needs a new name!

So with that history… the idea of a “California” resort just strikes me as odd. :laugh:

And as for “what is California”… it looks like from the bit Chris posted that California = “really expensive beach towns”. :laugh: There’s some Spanish-feel architecture in some of the places they list… but also just generally “expensive real estate”.

They should do a New Jersey theme resort; it would definitely have attitude and traffic.

Or a SC resort with deerstands and camo!!! :laugh:

[QUOTE=chris24;1055812]i saw this on WDW News Today
<snip>

Venice Beach, Casa del Mar, Montage, the Balboa Pavilion, Laguna Hills, Newport Beach, and Santa Barbara.
<snip>
[/QUOTE]
Okay, here’s the weird thing. What are they thinking of? Casa del Mar? Do they mean Corona del Mar, a suburb right next to Newport Beach? And the Balboa Pavilion, really? It’s in Newport Beach!
Laguna Hills is just a suburb in the hills. There’s nothing really special about it.

Venice, okay, Santa Barbara, okay, even Newport Beach itself - I get it. The rest? Nah!

Out of control government spending and high taxes?

Sunsets over the ocean instead sunrises over the ocean?

Rumours I’m seeing indicate location will be old river front area near Wilderness Lodge.

Don’t see any reason to buy there personally. Poly and they’ve got my attention.

hahaha… :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I love the idea of new DVC resorts but a “California” theme doesn’t really appeal to me all that much. Hmm.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1055857]Hmmm…

The easy part to answer is that California Adventure is right across the promenade from Disneyland. You can walk right out the front gate, go about 100 yards (??? I’m terrible at distances) and go into California Adventure.

The original Disney take was to represent different areas of California.
San Francisco, the Redwoods/Yosemite, etc., Hollywood… and then a Victorian Era boardwalk. Oh, and A Bug’s Land. Because why not? Everything else was kind of a mishmash… and seemed to be done on the cheap.

And the execution was such a disaster that it’s currently undergoing a billion-dollar revamp.

It seems to be keeping the name… but they seem to be barely trying for California, adding Cars Land and a Little Mermaid ride. Still, everything they’ve been doing seems to be a huge improvement.

I honestly think it just needs a new name!

So with that history… the idea of a “California” resort just strikes me as odd. :laugh:

And as for “what is California”… it looks like from the bit Chris posted that California = “really expensive beach towns”. :laugh: There’s some Spanish-feel architecture in some of the places they list… but also just generally “expensive real estate”.[/QUOTE]

Ah OK I see that now, and especially the last part with the Spanish style architecture and all. Thanks for explaining.

at least it’s not Brazilian.:pirate: :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Instead of “welcome home”, you get “yo! you got a problem wit dat?”

california theming …everyone asks …soarin…da

DVC… some day!