New Fastpass System

Not sure if this is TRUE or NOT, but I saw this on another board:

[I]“Disney testing new fastpass system at Animal Kingdom. Passes distributed from central location rather than at rides.”[/I]

Not sure how this would work? Will be interesting to see if this is true?

This could be interesting. As long as there aren’t longer lines at the machines I don’t really care where I get a FP as long as I can get one.

Hmmmm . . . I think this would actually be easier if it doesn’t create long lines for the FP machines. I’d love to get the FP’s we need all in one place and then just know when to be at the rides.

But it seems to me that that would make the lines longer. I wonder if this could work. ehhh…we’ll see.

It seems to me, that other than not forcing guests to go to their first attraction on the other side of the park (pick your own example), once you have that first fast pass, you still won’t be able to get another one for any other ride in that park until the first pass is active, or two hours has passed in the case of an FP that won’t be active until 2-6 hours later, whichever comes first. (Soarin’ or Toy Story are perfect examples. Lesser examples are Everest, Space Mountain and Rock and Roller Coaster)
Not unless they change the rules and allow you to get more than one fast pass at a time. And that would create an entirely different set of problems!

[QUOTE=Soundgod;978729]It seems to me, that other than not forcing guests to go to their first attraction on the other side of the park (pick your own example), once you have that first fast pass, you still won’t be able to get another one for any other ride in that park until the first pass is active, or two hours has passed in the case of an FP that won’t be active until 2-6 hours later, whichever comes first. (Soarin’ or Toy Story are perfect examples. Lesser examples are Everest, Space Mountain and Rock and Roller Coaster)
Not unless they change the rules and allow you to get more than one fast pass at a time.[/QUOTE]

I always forget that you can’t get multiple FP’s at once. That’s why I have to have DH with me when in WDW.:laugh: So never mind, I don’t like this idea.

Hmm not a big fan of this idea, especially depending on where the central location is, I wouldn’t fancy having to constantly be heading back there to see what FPs I can get, what times are available etc. Just doesn’t appeal to me really!

Hmmm…on one hand, I love the idea of not having to traipse across the park just to pick up FPs. But on the other hand, this does seem like it could be incredibly inconvenient. (Like let’s say you exited EE and decided you wanted to get a FP for later…you couldn’t just turn around and grab one on your way out, y’know?)

Interesting. I wonder what they consider the benefits of a system like that.

Well, though it would be nice not to have to go all the way back to EE to get FPs, I’m not sure I’d like this. It seems like it would make the lines to get a FP (but it could make the stand-by lines shorter… instead of going back to the attraction, they’re opting for an FP, which means there could be no line at all at the attraction).

And, going back to the “central location” might be just as long as a walk as going to the attraction itself, depending on where one is in the park.

I’ve been trying to dig up more scoop on this . . . I’ll keep ya posted! :happy:

Thanks Jen! You’re our resident Disney Detective! :tongue:

I can only see some advantage if the central fast pass distribution area is at the MK entry plaza (not inside the main park), in Epcot at the SSE forecourt by the lockers, etc and also at the International Gateway (lest guests who enter there are forced to walk the entire park to the one central FP area), and the AK entry plaza. I can’t see anyplace being convenient in DHS that won’t detract from the park and be convenient at the same time. When I say entry plaza, I mean after yuo’ve passed through the turnstiles.
But even with a central FP distribution area, it would be foolish in the extreme to remove the individual ride FP distribution areas. Perhaps room will be made by each park’s wait time boards.
The more I think about it, this is a bad solution to a minor problem.
In fact, you’d be better off going to a for a fee electronic multi pass system like many Six Flags parks have than to go with this solution.
And we all know how much most guests don’t want a fee based fast pass or a Universal type hotel room key fast pass in WDW.

OK here is what I dug up so far!

1. Testing started 2 days ago? Anyone there we can ask about it? :confused:

2. The Fastpasses will also still be available at individual rides during testing.

3. They still give you the hour time to head over to the ride.

I’ll let you know if I find out more.

I wonder how big the area is. I could see huge crowds and frustrated guests if there are too many FP machines crammed in an area that is too small.

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;978771]
3. They still give you the hour time to head over to the ride.[/QUOTE]

I’m not saying this to any person posting here, but, BIG DEAL!:mad:

Anyone who’s been to WDW more than once, knows that once your fast pass becomes active, it is actually good for the rest of the day until closing. The reason is that once you’ve gotten your pass, you’re going to go to other attractions, shop, or dine in order to kill your wait time. And often, you will find yourself queued for another attraction, in a rest room, eating, in the middle of a show or ride, or simply on the other side of the park and can’t make it back within that small one hour block. That and the fast passes are actually limited to a specific number of riders in a day, regardless of your actual ride time. This is why FPs become “sold out” for rides like Toy Story, Space Mountain, Test Track, etc.

The more I look at this, the more I see a “solution” that causes more problems than it solves.

I only like it if they don’t tell anyone else about it and we are the only ones who get to use it.

Picked this off of another board:

“I haven’t seen it myself yet, but today they started using the unused “Tough to be a Bug” Fastpass machines to test making Fastpasses available at a central location.
I have been told that 2 machines are for Safaris, 2 for Everest, and 2 for Dinosaur. .
It will be interesting to see how this goes, especially since guests don’t always understand that you have to wait between Fastpasses. I don’t know how long this will be going on. I’ll get pics when I get a chance.”

:eek: In my mind all I see is the HUGE LINE!! Like the ones at TSM!! :eek: I really just don’t know HOW this will work??

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;978786]Picked this off of another board:

“I haven’t seen it myself yet, but today they started using the unused “Tough to be a Bug” Fastpass machines to test making Fastpasses available at a central location.
I have been told that 2 machines are for Safaris, 2 for Everest, and 2 for Dinosaur. .
It will be interesting to see how this goes, especially since guests don’t always understand that you have to wait between Fastpasses. I don’t know how long this will be going on. I’ll get pics when I get a chance.”

:eek: In my mind all I see is the HUGE LINE!! Like the ones at TSM!! :eek: I really just don’t know HOW this will work??[/QUOTE]

Oh my, that sounds like a nightmare! There is simply not enough area around the old ITTBAB machines to accommodate that. I see huge bottlenecking, people getting in the wrong line and throwing fits, etc…:pinch: No, I don’t think this sounds like a good idea at all.

Are they just piloting this in AK or has this rolled out in the other parks as well?
I guess the “Bug” area is pretty central in AK, due to its Tree of Life location, and aren’t they lucky that Bug has enough throughput versus demand that they don’t need FPs.

Exactly.

I think centralizing is so more people take advantage of FP… which I don’t want to happen. :ph34r: