New "House of the Future" for Disneyland

From: Disney Revives ‘House of the Future’ – OrlandoSentinel.com

Disney Revives ‘House of the Future’

By GILLIAN FLACCUS | Associated Press Writer
9:13 AM EST, February 13, 2008

[I]ANAHEIM, Calif. - Millions of Disneyland visitors lined up a half-century ago to catch a glimpse of the future: a home teeming with mind-blowing gadgets such as handsfree phones, wall-sized televisions, plastic chairs, and electric razors and toothbrushes.

The “House of the Future,” a pod-shaped, all-plastic dwelling that quickly seemed quaint closed its doors a decade later. Now Disney is set to open a new abode in Tomorrowland – this time in partnership with 21st century technology giants.

The 5,000-square-foot home scheduled to open in May will look like a normal suburban home outside, but inside it will feature hardware, software and touch-screen systems that could simplify everyday living.

Lights and thermostats will automatically adjust when people walk into a room. Closets will help pick out the right dress for a party. Countertops will be able to identify groceries set on them and make menu suggestions.

The $15 million home is a collaboration of The Walt Disney Co., Microsoft Corp., Hewlett-Packard Co., software maker LifeWare and homebuilder Taylor Morrison…MORE INFO AT LINK[/I]
Disney Revives ‘House of the Future’ – OrlandoSentinel.com

Thanks R2G!

I wish Disney woudl do that with Carosel of Progress area instead of whatever else it was I heard was rumored to go in CoP’s -place.

Very cool! Now I guess we know what they are doing with the bottom floor of Innoventions! Thanks R2G:o)

Oh, cool – something new and interesting for the trip back to DLR in October!

Thanks for posting this, R2. :happy:

But, you mean there’s something else you can do with a frozen burrito besides putting it into the microwave? :confused:

Sounds way cool!!

Hey that sounds very interesting! Can’t wait to see pictures of it.

I’m a little confused, can someone please help me. Is this house going to be in CA or FL. I know there was one in FL that closed about 10 years ago. And then someone else mentioned Innoventions. I’m really confused. Where is this located? I read the article and it mentioned Disneyland but I’m just not sure. I hate being this confused! :blush:

I am really confused too! :laugh:

I am SO EXCITED that the rumors I heard were true…back when I worked in Tomorrowland, I had heard they planned to bring back a House of the Future, but I thought for sure it wouldn’t happen.

I think this is really neat. :happy: Though I wish I understood completely…it’s going in at Disneyland, right? :confused:

:laugh: :laugh: I was actually thinking along the same lines…‘what else can you do with a Hot Pocket??’

So how often will the house need to be patched and rebooted? How do you protect it from viruses, trojans, spam, and adware? Can you imagine house is hacked and the pictures that start showing up on your walls!?!? What if adware takes over your kitchen inventory and suddenly your well stocked in Tyson and Pillsbury.

Scary…

I love this- something futuristic for Tomorrowland without a movie tie-in! Yay!

I would have thought so too… :pirate:

But this is a Florida Paper… :ohmy:

With an Anaheim dateline :huh:

And they discuss the opening this May. :cool:

I don’t recall seeing ANYTHING under construction at Disneyland this past December… :mellow:

I will go out on a limb here and say:

The house will be built in both Disneyland AND the Magic Kingdom. :laugh:

I believe it’s going in at Disneyland…since the first line of the article says ANAHEIM,CA. I think that the lower floor of Innoventions in Tomorrowland has been closed due to construction for a while now. That is why I think it will be there…just a guess though.

So, um, er… :mellow:

Does your neighborhood look like this big cylindrical column blanketing the landscape as far as the eye can see? :laugh:

They said the outside looks like a normal suburban house… :confused:

Unless you think they’re taking a clue from the movie, “A BOY AND HIS DOG”?

They built an entire Kansas town underground… :ph34r:

So, I guess, they could build a house inside… It’s big enough.

That’s what I’m thinking…a whole house inside. They have sort of done that in Innoventions at EPCOT for the fire safety exhibit. We didn’t see any other construction in Disneyland this weekend(other than Small World and repainting to various buildings) so that’s the only thing I can think of.

This is kinda weird, the concept is awesome and I can’t wait to see it. Although the details of when, where, & how seem kinda vauge. Hopefully we’ll hear from concrete info straight from Disney soon. :smile:

The house I was referring to in Orlando was called Xanadu.

Awesome. It’ll be there when I go this September. :ariel: