New Resort?

Am I out of the loop here? This morning we were on the bus to the MK, and as we were driving, in between Riverside and Fort Wilderness, there’s construction going on. There are front gates already built (a la Disney-style resort entry) and some buildings with red tile roofs (looks kind of like Coronado Springs), you can see roads laid out and various construction going on. Is this a new resort? Anyone have any news?

Not sure but it sounds cool!!

It’s the Four Seasons Resort. There is a thread about it, just do a search.

Oh:blink: Hmm. Well, I don’t think I like this idea at all…

yes, it is on Disney property but run by someone else.

I agree. I was disappointed when I read about it and then when I saw it for myself and how close it is to everything…it just makes me unhappy. :glare:

Hmm, might not be such a bad thing. It is the Four Seasons after all. Besides, a little healthy competition is never a bad thing.:cool:

I would like to add, however, for the record, that I love the new avatar & title llama. :slight_smile:

Does this mean they will offer Disney perks if on property?

It could end up being kinda Swan & Dolphin-y in the way they run resort privileges & perks.

Why, thank you.:closedeye Can you tell I was at the Laughing Floor today?:happy:

I don’t mind the competition thing…it’s just that I think that the parks are getting to a point where they can’t handle much more. Walt always believed in quality over quantity and I think that there’s been too much quantity recently.

No different than the Swan and Dolphin. Both are on Disney Property right outside the International Gateway to Epcot and both are operated by other companies.

[QUOTE=llama;1011239]Why, thank you.:closedeye Can you tell I was at the Laughing Floor today?:happy:

I don’t mind the competition thing…it’s just that I think that the parks are getting to a point where they can’t handle much more. Walt always believed in quality over quantity and I think that there’s been too much quantity recently.[/QUOTE]

Well, that is true. BUT, whether the new resort is on property or not they’re still coming. :laugh: Believe it or not, there is actually a market for a really high end resort (hard to believe in these times) but it’s true. Even though Disney hotels are nice & the deluxe hotels are, in my opinion, luxury ENOUGH a lot of higher end customers don’t feel that way. I had no idea this attitude existed until I lived up here. My Dad and I were on a flight once (NYC to LAX)& a nice lady (dressed VERY understated but you could tell she was loaded :laugh: Gucci watch, huge engagement ring, LV carry-ons, perfect skin & hair, etc) asked where we were going. When we said “Disneyland” she was kinda like “ohhh, yeah, my kids always want to go but I don’t really like it very much.” I know exactly what she was trying to say. She then proceeded to tell me that the only time they visit Disneyland are when she’s in LA on business & staying at the Sofitel Beverly Hills.

I also have the pleasure [sarcasm] or knowing some people in the area (a lot of big NYC business guys & their families live around here) who won’t even visit WDW & stay on property; a lot of them actually stay at the Ritz Carlton, the Grand Bohemian downtown, or the Waldorf Astoria Orlando. I do have a funny story I never shared on MB but it relates; a girl at work (grew up normal but married a guy who’s now big in the stock market… whatever) wanted to bring her little girl to Disney over Spring Break. Because it was fairly last minute the Ritz was booked so she asked a co-worker to rent DVC points. Somehow they were able to get her a room at SSR. Can you believe after 10 minutes of being in the room they asked to be removed from the resort because she said “it was just really dirty and gross.” :mellow::huh: My friend who rented her the points was so embarrassed & upset about the whole thing & the girl who rented the points from her has never stayed on Disney property again (but does go once-twice a year, staying at the Ritz).

I think it’s that group of people that are too bougie to stay at the AKL but can’t afford the Presidential Suite at the Grand Floridian. I guess even the rich people’s kids will ALWAYS want to go to WDW so I think Disney putting a 4 Seasons on property might be them trying to get a piece of that pie closer to their parks.

Who knows, I’d like to read more about it.
(Sorry, I just rambled like crazy) :pinch:

Orlando Sentinel - Tourism Central Florida – Walt Disney World sells land to Four Seasons, releases rendering
Here is an article about the new Four Seasons resort. Technically, it isn’t on WDW property. Disney actually sold the property to Four Seasons.

[QUOTE=WishUponAStar;1011244]Well, that is true. BUT, whether the new resort is on property or not they’re still coming. :laugh: Believe it or not, there is actually a market for a really high end resort (hard to believe in these times) but it’s true. Even though Disney hotels are nice & the deluxe hotels are, in my opinion, luxury ENOUGH a lot of higher end customers don’t feel that way. I had no idea this attitude existed until I lived up here. My Dad and I were on a flight once (NYC to LAX)& a nice lady (dressed VERY understated but you could tell she was loaded :laugh: Gucci watch, huge engagement ring, LV carry-ons, perfect skin & hair, etc) asked where we were going. When we said “Disneyland” she was kinda like “ohhh, yeah, my kids always want to go but I don’t really like it very much.” I know exactly what she was trying to say. She then proceeded to tell me that the only time they visit Disneyland are when she’s in LA on business & staying at the Sofitel Beverly Hills.

I also have the pleasure [sarcasm] or knowing some people in the area (a lot of big NYC business guys & their families live around here) who won’t even visit WDW & stay on property; a lot of them actually stay at the Ritz Carlton, the Grand Bohemian downtown, or the Waldorf Astoria Orlando. I do have a funny story I never shared on MB but it relates; a girl at work (grew up normal but married a guy who’s now big in the stock market… whatever) wanted to bring her little girl to Disney over Spring Break. Because it was fairly last minute the Ritz was booked so she asked a co-worker to rent DVC points. Somehow they were able to get her a room at SSR. Can you believe after 10 minutes of being in the room they asked to be removed from the resort because she said “it was just really dirty and gross.” :mellow::huh: My friend who rented her the points was so embarrassed & upset about the whole thing & the girl who rented the points from her has never stayed on Disney property again (but does go once-twice a year, staying at the Ritz).

I think it’s that group of people that are too bougie to stay at the AKL but can’t afford the Presidential Suite at the Grand Floridian. I guess even the rich people’s kids will ALWAYS want to go to WDW so I think Disney putting a 4 Seasons on property might be them trying to get a piece of that pie.

Who knows, I’d like to read more about it.
(Sorry, I just rambled like crazy) :pinch:[/QUOTE]
I think you’re onto something. I think that there are a lot of people who want a luxury experience, and they don’t mind doing some Disney for their kids or whatever, but they would like to be able to get away from all things Disney when it’s time to relax but the convenience of being close to parks, etc.

PS: after reading that article I find it interesting that the Four Seasons property is going to include “fractional ownership vacation homes, custom single- and multi-family vacation homes.” Hmmm, I wonder what that competition is going to do for DVC. Innnnteresting.

Totally, and I think there are just some people who have “that life” and feel most comfortable in digs like the Waldorf, Ritz, Mandarin Oriental & Four Seasons. Trust me, I lived on the OTHER side [ghetto side :laugh:] of the bridge to Palm Beach for 12 years and came across A LOT of interesting attitudes, even the NOT ultimately rich didn’t always stay “on property” at WDW as Florida residents still. They wanted their ‘usual’ luxury experience.

You know I am very happy when I read about how somepeople with money are and then I remember where I live their are several wealthy families around here and for the most part we are all just neighbors and friends and in many cases you would never know that they where very wealthy. case in point my neighbor just 3 houses down or a quarter of a mile is worth in the seven figures and the house he lives in is very modest. smaller actually than the one we just built not many years ago. never knew he had money if you did not know who they where. it is like that in our area still neighborily to every around here.

I think there are people like that everywhere, as well as the opposite.

I can’t imagine having a single family house that close to the parks… Sounds like something I’ll have to dream about… forever…:slight_smile: