New things to try while at WDW!

I saw these few “Off the Beaten Path” tips posted on a website . . . I’d never heard of some of them! ENJOY!

[B]Learn to hula dance at Disney’s Polynesian Resort[/B], where complimentary classes take place most days in the resort’s lobby. Auntie Kaui, a hula dancer and instructor with 50 years experience, leads most of the classes offered Monday through Saturday at 3:45 p.m., and Saturday mornings from 10 a.m. until noon. Weekday classes are geared toward the younger set, with leis and grass skirts aplenty, while the Saturday morning lessons encourage guests of all ages to do the hula shake. And whether guests stay for five minutes or the full two-hour Saturday classes, they’ll learn a variety of chants and dances from such tropical locales as Hawaii, Tahiti and more.

[B]The Archery Experience at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground[/B] – Whether novice or expert marksman, an archery guide offers training and tips on how to hit the bulls-eye. Open to resort guests and non-guests alike, the 90-minute experience costs $25 (plus tax) per person, includes equipment and instruction and can be booked up to 90 days in advance by calling 407/939-7529. Offered Thursday, Friday and Saturday afternoons.

[B]Take the ultimate dive[/B] in a 5.7-million-gallon indoor aquarium with more than 65 species of marine life, including sharks, turtles, eagle rays and diverse tropical fish. DiveQuest at Epcot offers guaranteed calm seas, no current, unlimited visibility, incredible marine life and bright coral structures. Additionally, you become part of the show. Your family members and friends (with Epcot admission) can view your dive through any of the 56 giant acrylic windows at The Seas with Nemo & Friends. Guest must be at least 10 years of age and must provide proof of SCUBA certification to participate. Price of $140/person includes a limited edition T-shirt, refreshments, dive certificate and a dive log stamp. Call 407/WDW-TOUR for information.

[B]New, fashionable Mickey Mouse ears “all the rage”[/B] – Trendsetters and fashion gurus get ready to strut your stuff with a new line of Mickey Mouse ears. The new ears come in a variety of vibrant colors and styles to suit the pirate or princess in your family. Gal versions don pink veils, jeweled princess crowns or wild cheetah prints. For the boys, pirate scarves and hoop earrings adorn the headgear, plus Stitch-themed offerings and more. There’s also gold-sequined, patriotic-themed, and a bride and groom version. The new Mouse ears are available in limited quantities at select locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort starting at $8.

[B]Harmony Barber Shop a cut above the rest[/B] – Sit back in the barber’s chair and experience a good old-fashioned haircut at Harmony Barber Shop on Main Street, U.S.A. in Magic Kingdom. Located near the Emporium and with a signature candy-striped pole outside, the shop transports guests to a simpler time when barbershop quartets entertained and getting a haircut was a real treat. “First Haircuts,” the establishment’s specialty, treats young’uns to pixie dust, bubbles, Mickey Mouse stickers and an extra-special “My 1st Haircut” set of Mouse Ears. Haircuts for children are $14; adults are $17; first-come, first-serve.

[B]Take a spin on a Segway Human Transporter [/B]-- The Segway HT, first displayed to the public at Epcot Innoventions in 2002, is the world’s first self-balancing human transporter that uses advanced technology, gyroscopes and tilt sensors to emulate human balance. Guests can put these high-tech machines to the test in two tours offered most days at Epcot.

[ul]
[li]Around the World at Epcot is a two-hour tour that allows guests to operate the device throughout World Showcase before the area opens to park guests ($95/person; tours are daily at 7:45, 8:30, 9 and 9:30 a.m.)[/li][/ul].
[ul]
[li]Simply Segway is a one-hour program that gives guests a product overview, training and indoor riding time at Innoventions ($35/person; daily at 11:30 a.m.). For both programs, class size is limited to 10 guests. (407/WDW-TOUR)[/li][/ul]

Thanks for posting the info. My DD would love to learn how to hula dance. We may have to try it onthe next trip.

DH and I would love to do the Segway thing!

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Around the World Segway Tour. It was an incredible experience, super easy to learn, and REALLY fun!

Found DW post about the Segway Tour, including photo.

http://www.mousebuzz.com/forum/875925-post4.html

Wow, that archery thing sounds kind of fun! I had no idea they offered that!

The last trip with the kids, we went into the animation studio at DHS. They have a class where they teach you how to draw a Disney character. We lucked out and had Mickey. It was fun for all of us and we made some nice artwork to take back home!

Archery!! I love archery! I would bring my bow but DW might give me the :blink: look.

That is one of OUR ALL time favorite thing to do. We walk out, and walk right back in line! We’ve drawn, Goofy, Stitch, Jack Skeleton, Pluto, Mickey, Minnie and Donald . . . I love to watch my girls improve their drawing skills each trip. :heart:

We even bought the book in the gift shop so we can practice at home!

[QUOTE=mickeysgirlz;970778]That is one of OUR ALL time favorite thing to do. We walk out, and walk right back in line! We’ve drawn, Goofy, Stitch, Jack Skeleton, Pluto, Mickey, Minnie and Donald . . . I love to watch my girls improve their drawing skills each trip. :heart:

We even bought the book in the gift shop so we can practice at home![/QUOTE]

We try to do it every trip as well, my boys have always enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

Great ideas! I wonder if I can get my family to hula?

You should definitely try. I know I am going to try this on our next visit. It will be great just for the photos!!

For any divers out there, Dive Quest is well worth it. Sharon got me this years ago as a gift on one of our trips. Still remember the dive fondly.

Just what I was thinking! :laugh:

Call me a dork (or a frugal fanny) but for 25 dollars I’d totally shoot a bow and arrow at DisneyWorld! That’s just cool. :laugh:

Thanks for the list!! I love finding new things to do at Disney. :heart: I’m adding “hula lessons every Saturday” to my Reasons I Should Move To Orlando list. :happy:

New things to try while at WDW!

For me it would be trying to stay sober at Epcot!!! :laugh::pirate::laugh:

[QUOTE=WALL;971303]New things to try while at WDW!

For me it would be trying to stay sober at Epcot!!! :laugh::pirate::laugh:[/QUOTE]

DH DITTO!!!:laugh:

Think that’s why he always wants to go in Oct for F&W fest. And here all these years i’ve been thinking it was for our anni.

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;971313]DH DITTO!!!:laugh:

Think that’s why he always wants to go in Oct for F&W fest. And here all these years i’ve been thinking it was for our anni.[/QUOTE]

:laugh: Poor Mickeybug. :frown:

Has any one actually done the hula lessons? I read an article like this one prior to our trip this past March. I called down ahead of time as I wasn’t sure if the lessons required ressies. I was passed through three different people in reservations and then two different people at the Polynesian resort directly and no one was aware of any hula lesson.:blink:

Next time we’ll just try showing up at one of the designated times and see if we can find anything. We did the Luau this year and our kids loved learning the hula dance on stage. They will still preform the moves they learn for any friends/family that has yet to see it.:happy: