New Year's Eve strategy

Planning on being at WDW on New Year’s Eve.
Anyone have any tips on how to handle that day.
Couple of web sites say the parks “will” fill up and that you should get to “a” park early, plan on staying there and NOT leaving.
Is this a reasonable plan??
Thanks.
Frank

Good luck. Learned a long time ago… Xmas and NY days are resort days after 1-2PM.

>>Good luck. Learned a long time ago… Xmas and NY days are resort days after 1-2PM.<<

ROFL!! I’m learning that.
We did MK @ 8am on the 24th and MK again on the 25th @ 7am.
I know what you mean. We were out of the MK by 1130am on the 24th and 1030am on the 25th.
Went over to Epcot today (25th) after the MK. Monorail was down so we just drove.
Not easy getting through 3 lanes of cars coming in, to get to the exit lane at the MK <g>.
Epcot was pretty empty when we got there, but when we left at around 1pm, it was packed.
Had dinner at Kimono’s on the 23rd. Walked around the Boardwalk and over to Yacht and Beach Clubs. I was astounded that the “higher” priced restaurants were pretty empty at peak time while ESPN and Captain’s Grille were packed. Not sure why, but they were definitely not as full as I’ve seen them.
Frank

We started our trip on New Years Eve a couple years ago. We were in a cabin at Fort Wilderness and watched the fireworks from the beach there. It was awesome and I think everyone should try that if they have a chance. As far as the parks on NYD we found it to be manageable. MK actually seemed to clear out in the evening. It was busy but not as bad as some of the horror stories I have heard.

oh my do not scare me like that. we are planing on being at mk for NY eve going to try to be there at between 8 and 9 am and just spend the day will take a lot of down time just sitting and watching things. Just how late can you expect to be able to get into Mk before capacity hits?

Every year I hear different times. Guess you go with your gut and decide if it is too much for you and the family.
We have gone to the Poly and watched the FW from Sunset Point on busy nights. I DO NOT do crowds on vacation.
We will either have a small cooler with pre mixed beverages or get drinks from inside and take them outside. If you can grab a swing along the beach it can be a very relaxing time. No crowds to fight and you are right there to escape the crowds before they hit the TTC or back to your car if you drive over.
Make the best of your choice. I am glad we have done the whole MK bit on busy nights, but I can now say we did it.

>>Guess you go with your gut and decide if it is too much for you and the family.<<

Excellent point. What you “want” to do, and what you “can” do are often different things.
I’ve found at Disney that the day takes on a life of itself.
Rides are down, Monorails are down. Can’t get ADR’s, etc, etc. One really needs to adapt.
When the kids were little, we’d set out “plan” in a Sheet of Sheets as we called it.
We’d joke how it was the “commandments” and we can’t vary… knowing full well, probably 80% of it would change as the days went on. It was a fun “pre trip” festivity that everyone could contribute to and enjoy.

>>We will either have a small cooler with pre mixed beverages or get drinks from inside and take them outside.<<

I’ve seen loads of people go to the bars at the resort restaurants and buy a bottle of wine and get a few glasses from the bar. Sure they took it back and enjoyed it in their rooms or wherever.

>>Make the best of your choice. <<

I agree, that’s all you can do when it’s all said and done.

Frank

[QUOTE=fjs08;1060054When the kids were little, we’d set out “plan” in a Sheet of Sheets as we called it.
We’d joke how it was the “commandments” and we can’t vary… knowing full well, probably 80% of it would change as the days went on. It was a fun “pre trip” festivity that everyone could contribute to and enjoy.

I’ve seen loads of people go to the bars at the resort restaurants and buy a bottle of wine and get a few glasses from the bar. Sure they took it back and enjoyed it in their rooms or wherever.[/QUOTE]

Been there, done that w/ the sheets. My military planning took over and interfered w/ the trip. After our 4th to 5th trip Pam sat me down and basically told me if I did anything beyond what park and one ADR a day I would be left home. My commando routine wa driving the kids crazy. THey saw everything in 7-8 days, but the relaxation was not part of the vacation. Now we just book the resort, plan 1-2 ADR’s at the most, and wing it from there.

As to a bottle of wine, if you do not have any with you you can check out the resort store or better yet, WS in Epcot has what you want. Or you can take the car offsite and grab a bottle or two. For us, Pam will always pack at least 6 bottles depending on the legnth of the trip and how many of the now adult kids are with us. It is nice to get back to the unit and have a glass on the porch/balcony to end the day. Or even on a mid afternoon break. :laugh:

>>Been there, done that w/ the sheets. My military planning took over <<

That’s funny. we did it just for the fun of it. Neat pre trip routine.

>>As to a bottle of wine, if you do not have any with you you can check out the resort store or better yet, <<

I’ve wondered why people don’t go to the DVC “grocery” stores. Lots cheaper there than at a bar in a resort.

Frank

All the parks will probably close within 2 hours of opening on New Years Eve and the actual New Year. You MUST arrive VERY early. Noone especially will leave MK or Epcot due to the unbelievable fireworks that will transpire. I actually recommend watch the Fireworks at MK tomorrow night since they’re the same ones that’ll happen on the 31st and go to Epcot on the 31st to catch their New Year festivities. I just walked outside MK and had to come back downstairs because it was so congested, and the park isn’t even filled yet.

Well, we did Epcot on NYE last year. We got FP early for Soarin and after that FP’d anything we could. We did the Kim Possible Scavenger Hunt twice to kill time - It was fun and kept the kids moving for a while.

This day is not the day to ride - we went in knowing that this was going to be a shopping day and maybe a few rides. Alot of sightseeing, picture taking, and stuff like that. We had a blast but if you are going to ride…you will be disappointed.

I did see a group of people whose sole purpose on NYE was to drink a beer from every country at the International Pavillion. They had on plain white t-shirts and every time they drank a beer they wrote what country and what beer they had on the shirt. Not a drinker - but that looked like a fun way to pass the time on NYE if I was.

We were thinking of going down this weekend but decided to hold out for the last weekend in Jan. Less crowds, less $ for the hotel :slight_smile:

i have seen it hit as early as 10 to 11 am…