New YEars Visit

We are planning our next visit for WDW to run December 31 to January 3. My question is, would it be best to start our visit to the parks on Jan 1. I’ve heard it is very busy on New years eve and don’t want to waste a day when we could take it easy and start the next day. The advice from this site usually proves right when it comes to WDW so fire away.

Well it all depends on what time will you be arriving there on the 31st. I would say spend the 31st in DTD. It will be crowded but lots of fun. Unless you don’t mind the massive crowds in MK. Just depends on what your looking for. The parks are so fun on New Years eve.

We can be there first thing in the morning but at some point we’ll have to check into our cabin at Fort Wilderness. I’m not sure how that will work out as I don’t know what time we can check in or how long it will take.

Well you can check in and they can hold your bags for you if your Cabin is not ready. They will take your bags to your cabin when it is ready.

You could just try and have a somewhat relaxing day also and go to the parks later on.

I will be there on New Years Eve and I plan on spending it MK

We spent New Years in 2007 at Epcot. It certainly was’nt as busy as we had been told. I certainly think this has something to do with the size of the park. The waiting times for the rides however soon built up, so obviously take advantage of the fastpass system and just relax and enjoy the atmosphere, as there is plenty of entertainment laid on.
I would just like to say that we booked a breakfast at the Chrystal Palace in MK for Jan 1st at 8.30am and the park was considerably empty compared to normal and you could almost walk down main street alone. It was certainly a great start to the New Year and could be for your vacation.

1/1 will be busy, but not as busy as 12/31. I believe most holiday travelers start heading home on the 1st at some point in the day. If you get there early in the morning and have to go through check in and all that, I would go to Epcot. That park handles crowds the best. You could just do the countries and maybe get a fast pass for Soarin if there are any left…With a short trip like that, I don’t think I would be willing to wait to get into the parks.

[QUOTE=Camber;859675]We spent New Years in 2007 at Epcot. It certainly was’nt as busy as we had been told. I certainly think this has something to do with the size of the park. The waiting times for the rides however soon built up, so obviously take advantage of the fastpass system and just relax and enjoy the atmosphere, as there is plenty of entertainment laid on.
I would just like to say that we booked a breakfast at the Chrystal Palace in MK for Jan 1st at 8.30am and the park was considerably empty compared to normal and you could almost walk down main street alone. It was certainly a great start to the New Year and could be for your vacation.[/QUOTE]

This was a fantastic trip! New Yers Day it’s-self was lovely! Our breakfast at Crystal Palace was nice and early and we got tons of photos down an empty main street! What we found was tha most people had stayed up well into the wee hours and crowd levels didnt really pick up till well into the afternoon!
We spent all of New Years Eve at Epcot but only lasted till 7pm (WE saw in the British New Year) and then headed back to AKL! We didn’t realise they were putting on a celebration in the Lobby but by 10pm-ish we were all flat out! We might have missed New Year it’s self but New Years day more than made up for it!

If you want to see New Year’s countdown fireworks, especially Illuminations, you have no choice but to go to the park. The Magic Kingdom’s Fantasy in the Sky is visible from the Seven Seas Lagoon, in fact, it is completely mirrored out there with a second display for anyone who didn’t get into the park or is celebrating at Cali Grill, Narcoossee’s, or at the Poly on the beach, plus all the fireworks cruises, but you might not hear the music. DHS has their display at midnight as well, though I’m not sure if DTD will do one this year as that was in Pleasure Island, which no longer exists.
The past 3 years, I had no problem entering MK at 8:15 PM even though the park was at “stage 3” earlier in the day. I think this was also because I was a Disney hotel guest and had an annual pass. Also, I had no trouble entering Epcot at 9:30 in 2005 and 2006. I didn’t try last year, but that was because I’d decided to stay in the MK.
I really wouldn’t expect to get on any rides, but you will be able to see all entertainment and parades. One other thing to keep in mind with Epcot. Each of the countries has some sort of band or DJ out in front, as well as a DJ set up by the big central fountain.
Once you get to New Year’s Day, the crowds will start to decrease fairly fast.

Yeah, New Year’s Eve is always crazy. We typically party at Hollywood Studios. That’s the place to be. :laugh:

I don’t blame you. If you’re staying at a resort, I suggest going to whichever park has early EMH. You get a lot done in the mornings, and you can leave around noon when the park gets more crowded. Epcot is always a good park to escape the crowds. It’s huge, and the majority of the people are at Soarin’ or Test Track. I do not recommend MK (unless it’s early EMH). It’s always the first to fill to capacity (except when a new park is opening… I remember AK filled to capacity first back in 98 and 99).

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;859788]Yeah, New Year’s Eve is always crazy. We typically party at Hollywood Studios. That’s the place to be. :laugh:

I don’t blame you. If you’re staying at a resort, I suggest going to whichever park has early EMH. You get a lot done in the mornings, and you can leave around noon when the park gets more crowded. Epcot is always a good park to escape the crowds. It’s huge, and the majority of the people are at Soarin’ or Test Track. I do not recommend MK (unless it’s early EMH). It’s always the first to fill to capacity (except when a new park is opening… I remember AK filled to capacity first back in 98 and 99).[/QUOTE]

If mk will fill to capacity I think we wil just stay there all day and not leave :laugh: