Newbie trip questions... AKL

Hello Disney people,

Newbie here, taking my forst trip to WDW in December with my wife and 2 daughters (3.5 & 1.5). Looking for any input/advice any of the more Disney-ized can give for tavelling with two little ones. (Last time I was there was 1986… I was 11) between the Oct-Dec discounts and Delta Skymiles the trip is in the bag.

I have booked AKL for a week in a Savannah View room for the 7 days/6nights (My older daughter might actually fall down if/when she sees a real giraffe outside our balcony). However, I have a few concerns about staying the whole week at AKL.

1. How can I best acquire the best Savannah View room? Id it chosen when I check in? or can I call earlier? I have read some of the room provide better animal viewings (near feeding sites/coralling sites/etc…) or is it luck of the draw.

2. Transportation - Im a little concerned about the bus/motorcoach transit with a 3 year old and an infant. any thoughts?

3. Vegetarian wife and the limited restaurant choices at AKL.

On of my other ideas was to try a split week with one of the more convienent resorts (poly/contemp) for the MK stuff for a few days and AKL for a few days. Am I being paranoid?

Thanks, for any help.

Bill

A couple thoughts that apply to all Disney resorts -
Rooms are allocated at check-in. So to get first crack at specific rooms try to check-in as close to 3 as possible. You can make requests by phone or fax.
All Disney full service restaurants will accomodate special dietary concerns. Let them know when you make your PS and confirm 48 - 24 hours before your meal. Also, if your wife is a no-red meat vegetarian, vegan or ovo-lacto etc. be sure to specify.
Oh yeah, and check allearsnet.com for menus. Many Disney restaurants are incorporating vegetarian friendly food in their regular menus.
Have a fabulous trip!

1. How can I best acquire the best Savannah View room? Id it chosen when I check in? or can I call earlier? I have read some of the room provide better animal viewings (near feeding sites/coralling sites/etc…) or is it luck of the draw.
    You can look at the AKL map and choose the one closest to the center of things and request a room in that area and have it noted on your reservation and ask again at check-in. Spetember is a fairly slow month, it’s value season, and the CM’s are more likely to grant specific requests if it’s possible. Asking never hurt. The view from the rooms, are all aweome, but if you want a specific animal trail, simply ask them. No worries on the views I promise. They are ALL great!

2. Transportation - Im a little concerned about the bus/motorcoach transit with a 3 year old and an infant. any thoughts?
    You shouldn’t have any problems with the WDW transportation with your young ones. consider a double stroller for your girls from home for the walks to and from the bus stops, the airport and around the parks. It will be cheaper than getting two rentals and you will need the two rentals. It’s so much walking. The 3.5 year old will never make it. You can think about renting a car and driving to the parks (you will park for free as a resort guest), but I don’t reccomend driving to Magic Kingdom.

3. Vegetarian wife and the limited restaurant choices at AKL.
    You are able to get many Vegan selections at the AKL and most restaurants at WDW. You can requests this from your server.

Your thoughts about splitting the stay maybe a bit tough with the little ones, but not impossible. Maybe you should just book the Polynesian for your entire stay and try out AKL the next time around. I just think swtiching would be a pain, but that’s just my opinion. I have heard many success stories with people on DC doing it, so I know it’s possible, but I just wouldn’t personally want to have the hassle or bother of it. The idea of unpacking, packing and then unpacking again + check-in and check-out and check-in again…annoying thinking about it I’d rather hang in the parks. Welcome to Disney Central BTW. It’s a pleasure to have you here.

Allearsnet.com has a listing of vegan and vegetarian selections at different restaurants. In the past, I have had not trouble making some changes to menu items to fit my vegetarian lifestyle.

First off Welcome to Disney Central !!!

The only advice I can give you is bring a double stroller from home if possible. Your children will def. need a stroller. Have fun…

May I add my welcome. You’ll be comfortable here. We’re all Disney-obsessed. (OK, some may call it paranoid). My daughter is a vegetarian and WDW is one of the easiest places to get veg. fare. The restaurant in Morocco in the World Showcase Epcot is particularly good. We resort hop all the time and I don’t think that it’s too much of a hassle. Other than packing & check-in, Disney does it all for you. Being on the monorail for MK would definitely be an advantage with small children - but you won’t have any worries with the bus transportation, either. AKL is a fabulous resort - as is the Polynesian. Happy planning!

Thanks for all your advice!

I ended up booking AKL for 4 nights and then over to Poly for another 5 nights. Delta Skyliles gave me a little extra money to extend the trip to 10 days. I am really looking forward to it. extra few days lets me not have to jam it all in quickly.

Now I just have to decice between 5 day Park Hopper/7 day PHP/ or the UPH… or an Annual Pass (which is cheaper than the 10/9 UPH, but doesn’t include the water parks/PI, which I wont use anyway with 3/1 year olds). Maybe the wrong forum but:

Can you use an UPH for a split resort stay? (since it’s tied to your key)
How long is the Annual Pass good for? (I know, 1 year) when does the clock start ticking? By getting an AP, does it open me up to any additional discounts? Only 94 days to go.

Thanks again…

Bill

You can buy your AP anytime but the clock doesn’t start ticking until you activate it. That is what we are going to do our next trip. We don’t do the waterparks and it is cheaper than the UPH. You do get some discounts at some of the restaruants and maybe some of the stores. Someone who has one can answer that better than I.