NEWBY to DISNEYLAND

Hi gang,

ok I have been to Disney World often, now it’s time to try Disneyland in California!!!

I never been in California, so as I’m starting to look for planes, hotels, etc… I’m realizing that this is planning a brand new trip with new quetions and challenges. I was very comfortable planning my trips to Orlando, now it a different ball game.

So…I will be traveling from December 28 to ~January 4
1 son, age 10
and Grandma age xxxxx <- censured :ph34r:
Grandma as limited mobility

I was looking at the “Disneyland hotel”, is this a good choice?
I am planning to take the disney coach from LAX to Disney

Any info will be greatly appreciated :heart:

This is a thread that needs to move to the Disneyland forums.
We’ve always stayed at the Grand Californian. It has a private entrance into Disney’s California Adventure and is the closest to the entrance to Disneyland Park. Disneyland Hotel is at the other end of Downtown Disney.

I love the Disneyland Hotel (the renovated rooms are gorgeous), and the distance between it an the Grand Californian isn’t all that great. (Then again, I seem to think that walking is a lot less of a big deal than many other people do. I also find that winding my way through the Grand Californian from DCA to Downtown Disney is kind of a pain… intentionally, I’m sure, to discourage that sort of thing.)

But from what I’ve heard of the Grand Californian, you really can’t go wrong with either choice. I’m just partial to the Disneyland Hotel because that’s where my experience lies. :wub:

How are you addressing the mobility issues?

ok, if the Disney boardwalk is closer to the Disneyland hotel that would be better, since grandma would spend most of her time there. As me and my son would go off to parks onsite and offsite.

Is there any special request that I should make for rooms at the Disneyland hotel?

[QUOTE=alexatdisney;1040896]ok, if the Disney boardwalk is closer to the Disneyland hotel that would be better, since grandma would spend most of her time there. As me and my son would go off to parks onsite and offsite.

Is there any special request that I should make for rooms at the Disneyland hotel?[/QUOTE]

If you’re talking about Downtown Disney, both hotels are right on it- Disneyland Hotel is just on the end, and the Grand Californian is middle-ish.

For the Disneyland Hotel- request a renovated room! I’m not sure when they’re all supposed to be finished, but in case they’re not, you’ll want one of the new ones.

The Dreams Tower is the one that’s finished… you might also want to request a room that is NOT on the Downtown Disney side, because that can get a little noisy at night (if that sort of thing bothers you).

Christmas time is the best time to go. I think you have made some good choices. IMO the GC is the best hotel in the area with the DL Hotel right behind it especially if you get one of the newly renovated rooms. The walk from the GC to CA is obviously much closer than the DLH but the walk to DL is about the same because the monorail is not that far from the DL Hotel and it drops you off inside the park in Tomorrow Land.

My kids like the pool at DLH much better, although I don’t know what the construction will be like around the pool during your visit (they are renovating the whole area with a new theme and expanding the current pool). It could also be cool but I don’t think that will bother you being from the cold part of Canada.

Is there room discounts in Disneyland like we have in disneyworld?

I 'm trying to find last read rates for December…