No More Grad Nites at WDW

Disney announced this morning that the 2011 Grad Nites will be the last to be held at Walt Disney World. Grad Nites at Disneyland will continue.

Grad Nite Update at Walt Disney World Disney Parks Blog

Ok, I read the article but not sure about the explanation. Will this or won’t this open up for Universal to steal more of the teenagers away from Disney? Just wondering.

Well I personally think they should bar the locals anyway. They keep bring back old mugs and re filling them.

KIDDING Folks - that’s a joke! Deep breath … exhale…

[QUOTE=Boss Mouse;1069342]Well I personally think they should bar the locals anyway. They keep bring back old mugs and re filling them.

KIDDING Folks - that’s a joke! Deep breath … exhale…[/QUOTE]

Funny, but you need to get the refillable beer mugs idea going don’t you?

I think this is a good move… I would not want to be there with a bunch of teenagers running wild through the place. It is not six flags.

Am I correct but didn’t the park close for this event and only grads were there?

Yes. Grad night is a private party.

And this makes me sad. Yes, Disneyland is still doing Grad Night and that’s where my memories are, but I’m sorry that kids are missing out on this fun night!

And I wonder if the reasons stated are anywhere near the real reasons they’re stopping it. I’d suspect it’s closer to “We’re really tired of policing for all the drugs/alcohol and we’re just not going to deal with that liability anymore”.

This makes me SO sad. In my book this is totally unacceptable. As stated in the blog it’s a rite of passage and that’s the best way to explain it. This was the most important event in my senior year, aside from the graduation ceremony this is the only other event I attended. It’s a great feeling to be able to go and then stay up all night, regardless of how tired you were, to party the night away at Disney. And then riding the bus home with your friends tired and still wanting to go the whole time. For a young high school kid it’s a little taste of freedom. I graduated in 96 so I know things are a little different these days, but it was my first “away trip” without my parents and just my friends. I’m deeply saddened by their decision.

Well Crud! DD16 will NOT be happy to hear this. She & her BFF’S were already making plans to attend their Grad Year. Back to the drawing board:sad:

And whats even sadder is the fact that grad nite for some is the only Disney experience some kids get:frown:

Go figure.

Just one old fart in a pink tu-tu and a homemade refillable beer mug shows up at the gate and they cancell the whole show for everyone. :wacko:

Good grief.

[QUOTE=Pam&Rich;1069394]Go figure.

Just one old fart in a pink tu-tu and a homemade refillable beer mug shows up at the gate and they cancell the whole show for everyone. :wacko:

Good grief.[/QUOTE]

If he would have stayed out of the fountain, this thread would be non existent. :frowning:

when my dd worked there in the college program she had the misfortune to work one of he grad nights … if some of the things she now shares are any indication of the some of the damage. i cant blame Disney…

Seriously - someone ought to say something to that guy.

Maybe they should offer him a job painting walls somewhere.
Just sayin’.

[QUOTE=smee57;1069426]Maybe they should offer him a job painting walls somewhere.
Just sayin’.[/QUOTE]

That would be one way to keep tabs on him.

I went to Grad Night in 1981 (yikes 30 years ago) as part of our senior class trip and had a blast. I think it’s a shame that it is being discontiued. My guess is that it came down to simple economics. Disney is a corporation and like all corporations they will cut a program if it is not profitable.

I totally agree.

I would have just said “ditto” but it’s never enough :laugh: