No more monorail during emh

not sure how I feel about this one.

Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours
Jul 09, 2011

Beginning on July 11 2011, the Epcot monorail service will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing, and from August 1 2011, the Magic Kingdom monorail will stop operation 1 hour after regular park closing. This means that in both cases, the monorail will not be able to return guests back to their resorts after evening Extra Magic Hours. Guests will instead be transported by bus and boats where available. Morning Extra Magic Hour service has not been affected. All indications are that this is a permanent change.

Walt Disney World Monorail System news - Monorails to no longer operate during Evening Extra Magic Hours

Wonder what’s brought this about? Is it a cost cutting strategy? As a family I dont think we’d be affected too much by this as we always use the bus, but I guess those on the hotel ‘loop’ Poly, GF, and Contemporary would be affected-

We don’t do the pm EMH that much, but always do the am. Just 1 more reason to stay in a WDW resort over our old stand-by (SoG). The SoG bus goes to TTC, not directly to MK or EP. It does go to all the other areas though. If they stopped the monorail in the am I would never ever consider staying at SoG again.

What? That makes no sense - the monorail lines are always the longest and it’s the fastest way out!! And how can a monorail cost less then a bus to run? :confused: Unless they know they can get everyone out in an hour after EMH?

I agree, makes no sense at all! They are going to have many unhappy Monorail loop guests expressing their displeasure with this.

Yes of course, I didn’t think about the TTC- its going to have a big impact on some guests surely?

People will be unhappy at first but Disney usually does not do things “off the cuff”.

That STINKS!!!

The monorail can hold 300 passengers… a bus can accomodate how much… 36-42? It doesn’t make any sense at all for them to quit running the monorail after hours. I really hope they change their minds.

In the meantime… does anyone want to start writing letters of complaint??? :laugh:

Doesn’t really affect us - but how odd…:huh::huh:

Doesn’t really effect me either, but I think it’s odd as well. The monorail must cost more to run. It’s the only thing that makes sense. I can’t see how ten bus runs will save time and costs, but I have no clue how much it costs to operate the monorail.

Not happy. We always hang out at closing time wait for the crowds to end before we leave. It usually involveds ice cream or a pastry and coffee on a quiet bench watching the crazies all run for the gates. The monorail was always the fastest way back to the TTC. Sometimes the boats take forever.

Now is that an hour pass official closing time? You how the park closes at 8, but then there are fireworks. So does the monorail stop at 9 or 9:15 ish.

It seems to me, leaving Epcot took forever by monorail, not really sure of the time, maybe it just seemed like forever.

That really stinks the big one!!! We are getting there on the 14th. That is always our luck. Although, we will be at SSR so it may not effect us. We’ll see.

I am really curious to see how long you will have to wait for a bus to get back to a monorail resort from EPCOT.

We loved staying at the POLY and walking to the TTC to pick up the monorail for EPCOT. I guess the bus it will be the next time we stay.

Since this will only effect resort guests authorized for pm emh, in a way I can see it because Disney has to still run the buses regardless and probably 98% of the guests already take those. The only guests I see taking the monorail during pm emh are the few that actually participate that late at night from GF, CR & Poly and those resorts still have a direct bus. Know what they say…if you don’t use it-you loose it and many probably didn’t use it at that time or night (morning)
The people I see it effecting the most are the Non-Disney Resorts who are authorized emh and are transferred back to TTC for their buses. That will now be the problem of those resorts to figure something out, not Disney’s.

Other than the buses now being just a tad bit more crowded than before I don’t see this as a MAJOR problem, but more like 1 more little piece of magic being taken away.

I don’t understand why they would do this. We are staying at the Poly in August and we were planning on using the monorail for trips to and from MK. We always do evening EMH’s, too. This is just not cool!

[QUOTE=Mickeybug;1082599]Since this will only effect resort guests authorized for pm emh, in a way I can see it because Disney has to still run the buses regardless and probably 98% of the guests already take those. The only guests I see taking the monorail during pm emh are the few that actually participate that late at night from GF, CR & Poly and those resorts still have a direct bus. Know what they say…if you don’t use it-you loose it and many probably didn’t use it at that time or night (morning)
The people I see it effecting the most are the Non-Disney Resorts who are authorized emh and are transferred back to TTC for their buses. That will now be the problem of those resorts to figure something out, not Disney’s.

Other than the buses now being just a tad bit more crowded than before I don’t see this as a MAJOR problem, but more like 1 more little piece of magic being taken away.[/QUOTE]

Actually, when we were there last week, Epcot was not listed as a bus option from GF. It was monorail only. There is also no bus from GF to MK. There is a boat, but the boat that goes between MK, GF, and Poly is very small - holds maybe 20-30 passengers for the two resorts.

I could understand them doing this during low seasons, but to shut the monorail early during peak season seems ridiculous to me.

That is silly! We did the last ressie for the night at Le Cellier. If I would have had to ride the bus that tipsy after the whiskey flight, I would have been ticked. Disney, stop the madness!

[QUOTE=LittleMissMagic;1082618]Actually, when we were there last week, Epcot was not listed as a bus option from GF. It was monorail only. There is also no bus from GF to MK. There is a boat, but the boat that goes between MK, GF, and Poly is very small - holds maybe 20-30 passengers for the two resorts.

I could understand them doing this during low seasons, but to shut the monorail early during peak season seems ridiculous to me.[/QUOTE]

I agree LMM, this is silly. Why on earth do this during the summer?

Wow, this is interesting.
Contemporary guests can walk back, but it is a hardship on those staying at the Poly and GF. Heck, the monorail is an “attraction” in and of itself. I guess guests can take a boat back to the Poly and GF.
Is there a dedicated bus that runs from MK to Poly and GF???
Does that boat run in the dark on the Lagoon??? What about in inclement weather???
To me, having the convenience of the monorail is a major reason for staying at the Poly, Contemporary or GF.

Frank

Humm, just thought of something…I wonder what will happen with the monorail and special events such as Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party and the Very Merry Christmas Party???
Frank