No More "Slow Seasons" At WDW?

I type this thought merely from observation and opinion, not from fact. So please don’t shed tears from the idea. :wink:

It’s no secret New Fantasyland was going to be a hit. But to have had such an impact as it’s had the past 2 months is beyond what I could’ve imagined. Every day, they have changed the park hours to later because the number of guests showing up for the day surpassed the budgeted and forecasted amount. There have been almost 50k people every single day at the MK the past few months. Yesterday, an unheard of for February, over 70k showed up. To put that number into perspective, that is 4k short of what Christmas day was forecasted. Why do I bring this up? Jan and Feb are regularly regarded as “slow months” at our parks, but MK has been anything but slow. I can’t speak for the other parks since I’m always at MK, but from what I’ve seen, it’s like regular summer crowds on a daily basis in the middle of winter.

I know there are always circumstances to better help our crowds (IE a lot of schools get out for Presidents Day, different holidays, Brazillian tours), but in my 9 years of working here, I’ve NEVER seen the crowds, and the way they effect our work schedule, that I’ve seen during this normal “slow season.”

Maybe it’s all part of the newness. Maybe after Seven Dwarves opens early next year, the hype will be over and slow down. But for now, MK is in business, and business is BOOMING!

Again, just an observation. There are still slow days, so just be smart when you plan your trip :wink:

Wow! Well, I guess that shows how eagerly anticipated the Fantasyland expansion was, and how effective Disney’s marketing has been. I will be down in September, and I hope traffic patterns have stabilized to more traditional patterns by then.

I’m happy for Disney. I’m really glad that Fantasyland has been such a success.

I’ve noticed the disappearance of the “slow season” over the past several years. The last time I visited WDW in February was in 2010, and I remember that DHS was packed because of the cheerleader competition, and MK was far from uncrowded. We visited this past October, and it was busier than a normal October.

Disney is a smart company. From the Travel and Tourism viewpoint, they do a really good job with marketing and bringing people in during the off-season with special events like MNSSHP, tournaments, conferences. They know how to attract visitors and encourage guests to return.

I don’t get annoyed about the crowds. I’ve visited a lot during peak season because of school schedules, so I’m used to them and know how to work around them. I get annoyed at the prices (but honestly speaking, increase in prices doesn’t keep me away from WDW… my love is too deep :laugh:). I’m really curious how the success of new Fantasyland, as well as their new RFID FastPass, is going to impact the increase in ticket price this summer, as well as how it will impact the prices of their resorts year-round. Perhaps we’ll see an increase in off-season accommodation prices only… or maybe they’ll bump both off-season prices and peak season prices.

DH just remarked to me yesterday that just about every second commercial on TV is for Disney. DD was there in January and she said she hardly could move in the new Fantasyland. She ended up just basically skipping it and the MK in general. The other parks were not as crowded. Personally, I’m selfish enough not to be thrilled. I hate crowds and it’s the first thing that turns me off on our trips to the World, but, of course, this is all part of business and making money, and Disney is very good at that. We’re planning a September trip - hopefully it’ll be quieter by then. Personally, between the new Magic card, the crowds and the costs we’ll probably start going less. Maybe every couple of years. Or maybe we’ll take a Disney cruise every once in a while to get our “fix”.

I am super excited to hear that…

I have to say that we have definitely noticed the larger crowds at what used to be “off” times of year over the past two years. I remember taking a trip in January of 1999 and feeling like we were a few of very few people in the parks. We walked onto every ride and had wide open walkways and empty restaurants. I have never had that feeling again and this past January sounded very busy based on trip reports I’ve read.

Tuesday to Thursday were slow while we were there a couple of weeks ago. The weekends were busy with the Dance and Cheer competitions. We still found slow areas and parks though. It takes more planning now. You have to go where the people ain’t.

I do agree with Rowdy that I think the newness is contributing greatly to the spike in numbers. When the 7 Dwarfs ride it will lead to another spark but after a year or so, it will even out until the next new attraction or refurb happens.

Looks like I will be hitting MK for night EMH when we are there next month. Park will be open to 2 or 3am. The last few years we have gone and it was open that late I had not trouble at all getting onto rides.

I have definitely noticed that what passes for slow periods have been shrinking for a while now. I’m sure a lot also has to do with the aggressive marketing coupled with “free dining” offers. This leaves me with mixed feelings.

I just booked for the beginning of June and it was hard to find a room- at all… Now, there are 7 of us going, which means 2 rooms… but there are none at the GF, Contemporary, had a few at the POLY… The PO resorts had no availability… Seriously cramping my style. Now, we did plan it a little bit later than I wanted, but February for June Vacation is not too late… I mean last year I planned it 9 days out- in July.

Dining did seem to be very eay to get though- although I did not try BOG.

…my experience with crowds during “value” or off season last summer had nothing to do with the new fantasyland—it wasn’t opened…so that’s not the reason…

I tend to agree with Soundgod…good marketing and incentives are working…I can’t remember if they had free dining while I was there in August or not? There was something I remember going on that I didn’t want to take advantage of…

you had me at mine coaster open and early.

I guess attendance is up at DL too…they are dropping some of their discounts in CA…it will be interesting to see how the increased attendance at WDW causes changes in discounts offered…

Disney cancels SoCal ticket deals | california, disney, disneyland - Entertainment - The Orange County Register

Despite the fact that I miss all slow times, this is probably a good thing. If the parks do well, Iger is more likely to re-invest profits into the parks to keep the momentum growing. (I think).

As much as we all lament WDW changes from time to time, there is still no other place that i would rather be than maybe a Disney cruise ship. :laugh:

[QUOTE=skwak;1129963]Despite the fact that I miss all slow times, this is probably a good thing. If the parks do well, Iger is more likely to re-invest profits into the parks to keep the momentum growing. (I think).

As much as we all lament WDW changes from time to time, there is still no other place that i would rather be than maybe a Disney cruise ship. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% good sir!

Good, if they see it as new stuff is bringing in more people with the marketing that goes with it, it will surely bring more expansion to the parks.

But not so good for me walking in a over crowded park :frowning:

:ph34r::laugh:I called ahead to request a slow week during our trip. The CM was very kind and arranged it all for us. No problem!

:laugh::laugh:

I hate crowds.

I just wanted to add something vaguely on topic but completely and utterly useless to the conversation.

[QUOTE=Andrea;1130058]I hate crowds.

I just wanted to add something vaguely on topic but completely and utterly useless to the conversation.[/QUOTE]

:laugh:…not useless at all…I hate crowds too…but it appears that if we want to continue going to WDW, we will just have to deal with them.

I’m sure Disney realizes that with crowds increasing, it will take us more time to get through the parks–and the need to spend more nights there=hotel spending-food spending etc etc