Non DVC member who has listen to pitch

So, I got all the information from DVC, and now seems to be a great time to join. I think DVC is an incredible deal for anyone planning to vacation every year or so. I did not like the fact that Park Tickets and Meal Options are not discounted…but it didn’t push me away.

For me and my family, we have chosen 2009 as our get out of debt year. We have student loans, credit card bills, a car payment, and a land payment that we vowed we were going to build our dream home on…but we also vowed that we wouldn’t build until everything else was paid off. So, instead of DVC we are paying off the debt as much as possible and hopefully have everything but school loans paid off by DEC 09. Then use our 09 Christmas trip as a Celebration and then look into building our house and joining DVC.

I do want to thank EVERYONE for all their information and help in understanding DVC. We would definitely done it, but it is just 1 year early for us.

A year goes by quickly in the grand scheme of things. Dec '09 will be here before you know it!

Just so you know technically park tickets ARE really discounted if you buy an annual pass & why not buy one! You get a $100 off discount & if you plan to spend at least 10-12 days in the WDW parks during the year it’s TOTALLY more than worth it!

Good luck with everything!

At this point in our careers and lives…7 days is the max amount of time we could spend away from our jobs. In 2 years I will have built up 2 vacation weeks a year, only have 1 week right now.

I was just letting you know for future reference. You said you aren’t buying for a couple more years anyway so maybe by then it will be well worth it to look into the discounted annuals.

And don’t forget that as a DVC member who buy an AP can also get a “Tables In Wonderland” card which allows you to get 20 percent off of just about any food or drink on WDW property – including alcohol! We saved a TON of money with that card!

woot! woot! that card saves you A LOT of money! well, it all depends on how often and how many times you eat out. but that doesn’t work for individuals that use the DDP! thats a bummer. but just incase you didn’t know DVC is supposedly going up now in Feb or well, that’s what I was told.

You’d have to choose one or the other. For us it was an easy decision, because we don’t eat desserts – maybe once or twice on an entire vacation. Since DDP makes dessert a part of the plan, it was silly for us to choose it.

We needed the flexibility – we usually have one entree per person, or we share some appetizers. DH and I almost always have a drink or two, or a bottle of wine. Tables In Wonderland fit us perfectly!

I hope it works out for you and you get everything you want. DVC will still be there when you’re ready to buy in.

You CAN use the Tables in W card even if you are on the DDP! Anything that we order that’s not included on the DDP (alcohol, appetizers, etc) can be discounted 20% on a separate bill by using the TiW card. It’s not difficult, and we’ve never had a problem with any server not being able to ring two bills.

Dadofthree-
First off welcome to Mousebuzz!!! Glad to have you here.
Second, I know what you’re saying about getting out of debt. My DW and I just finished the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class and are on the step of becoming debt free except for the house mortgage. If you are able to knock out the bulk of this by December then YOU ROCK!!! Hopefully, you’ll be saving for the Celebration trip along the way as well, so you’re not taking on more debt to take the trip. Budgeting some every month for our Disney vacations and other big expenses has been a real eye-opener for us through the class. It sounds like you have a great plan and will be in a much better position to get DVC then!

I bet you saved a ton of money on your alcohol bill :tongue:

[QUOTE=dadofthree;921097]So, I got all the information from DVC, and now seems to be a great time to join. I think DVC is an incredible deal for anyone planning to vacation every year or so. I did not like the fact that Park Tickets and Meal Options are not discounted…but it didn’t push me away.

For me and my family, we have chosen 2009 as our get out of debt year. We have student loans, credit card bills, a car payment, and a land payment that we vowed we were going to build our dream home on…but we also vowed that we wouldn’t build until everything else was paid off. So, instead of DVC we are paying off the debt as much as possible and hopefully have everything but school loans paid off by DEC 09. Then use our 09 Christmas trip as a Celebration and then look into building our house and joining DVC.

I do want to thank EVERYONE for all their information and help in understanding DVC. We would definitely done it, but it is just 1 year early for us.[/QUOTE]

I think you are making a wise decision to put it off for a year. See what comes up and how things are developing with the economy and I think your dream home is somewhat more important than a DVC membership in any case.
Good luck to you :smile:

[QUOTE=Prezcatz;922101]Dadofthree-
Second, I know what you’re saying about getting out of debt. My DW and I just finished the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class and are on the step of becoming debt free except for the house mortgage. If you are able to knock out the bulk of this by December then YOU ROCK!!! Hopefully, you’ll be saving for the Celebration trip along the way as well, so you’re not taking on more debt to take the trip. Budgeting some every month for our Disney vacations and other big expenses has been a real eye-opener for us through the class. It sounds like you have a great plan and will be in a much better position to get DVC then![/QUOTE]

Isn’t that a great class. We took that at the end of 07’ and we should be out of debt by the end of this year except for our house.

[QUOTE=Prezcatz;922101]Dadofthree-
Second, I know what you’re saying about getting out of debt. My DW and I just finished the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class and are on the step of becoming debt free except for the house mortgage. If you are able to knock out the bulk of this by December then YOU ROCK!!! Hopefully, you’ll be saving for the Celebration trip along the way as well, so you’re not taking on more debt to take the trip. Budgeting some every month for our Disney vacations and other big expenses has been a real eye-opener for us through the class. It sounds like you have a great plan and will be in a much better position to get DVC then![/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said. We never needed to take a course (we were blessed with natural cheapest), but it’s always a good feeling to be out of debt. Short of having to pay taxes (which will never go away), we have no debt at all! We’ve just finished paying off the house. Good luck with your plan!

Dave Ramsey…Yeah I give alot of the credit to him for this choice.

We are sacrificing some things to be able to do the things we REALLY want. Like vacation at Disney, have Cash Only Christmases (which we did this year and it was AWESOME), build our home within 5 yrs, DVC…

My 7 yr old wondered why we didn’t have our weekly before night church milkshake and lattes and after church out to eat meals last night, and I told him we were cutting back. We talked about how much it would cost to send our family back to Disney…And how much those things would have cost and how much they cost EVERY week. It shocked me that we spent an extra $1600 a yr just for that couple of hours alone.

So we spent $16 buck at the grocery store and that paid for supper last night, tonight, leftovers for a few days, and milkshakes for a week. Dave is hardcore but he really could solve the economy problems if we just all followed half of his advice.