Northwest adding $80 surcharge

CNN just reported Northwest is adding a new $80 surcharge to flights starting Jan 10th. This charge will apply to almost 7000 flights mostly in and out of NW’s Detroit hub.

Now we’ll have to wait and see if other carriers will follow.

WOW!!! I suppose this will be just the beginning of another trend.:glare:

Pretty soon they will be charging you to use the restroom.

Surcharge for what??? Fuel? Baggage? Seatbelt? Oxygen?

Flying gets more and more fun every day.

[QUOTE=Peppertink;858147]Surcharge for what Oxygen?

Flying gets more and more fun every day.[/QUOTE]

They will classify it as Airtime…:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is really getting out of hand. And Delta is going to charge $50 for the 2nd bag. Unless you are 1st Class or Business Class then you can take 3 bags for free. How about limiting them as well?

At least Delta isn’t charging for the first bag yet:pinch: I doubt that they’ll risk ticking off their first and business class passengers. Those are pricey tickets if one outright buys them. Also, those that don’t buy those first class or business class seats are usually very frequent, frequent fliers. :closedeye

I wonder why they are waiting until January to charge the fee. There have been conflicting reports here, some say its actually $80, other reports say “up to” $80 in surcharges. It will be interesting to see what is true charge will be.

But Delta and NW are merging, aren’t they? So I wonder how this will all play out.

I thought with oil prices down 20 bucks a barrel, there wouldn’t be any new charges for a while.

I just have to say, Love Southwest.

If everything gets approved they will. How this will play out? We are all gonna pay more to fly:glare:

[QUOTE=jo-jo;858185]I thought with oil prices down 20 bucks a barrel, there wouldn’t be any new charges for a while.

I just have to say, Love Southwest.[/QUOTE]

Me too, but, I was unable to get a good fare for this trip. I was actually shocked that NW was cheaper.

Spirit already has big time money charged as “extras”…they add an $80 surcharge on top of all that nonsense they charge and I won’t fly them again…it looks like I better be prepared to drive next time.

DanaI know what you mean about Spirit. We flew them in July. After we BOUGHT the tickets, we had to PAY for our SEATS? IF I ever fly them again, maybe I’ll bring my OWN seat w/me. Yup, I MAY have a problem going through security with my folding chair!! Better yetmaybe I’ll just tell them “I’ll hang onto a wing!!”

Oh well, unfortunately flying beats driving. At least from Michigan anyway…

Live,Love,Laugh~~
Maryutigger

Saw this report, too, and it made me cringe. We either fly Northwest or Midwest. Northwest ups its price. Midwest cuts flights to Orlando. We’re in deep doo-doo up here. :glare:

[QUOTE=Maryutigger;858263]DanaI know what you mean about Spirit. We flew them in July. After we BOUGHT the tickets, we had to PAY for our SEATS? IF I ever fly them again, maybe I’ll bring my OWN seat w/me. Yup, I MAY have a problem going through security with my folding chair!! Better yetmaybe I’ll just tell them “I’ll hang onto a wing!!”

Oh well, unfortunately flying beats driving. At least from Michigan anyway…

Live,Love,Laugh~~
Maryutigger[/QUOTE]

LOl I can see you trying to get on with your folding chair…to funny.

you do have the ability to get a free seat, but they tell you where you are sitting. If I didn’t travel with my DD, I would do just that. I don’t like the idea of us being sat in different areas of the plane, so I paid for them.

I am hoping that fares will calm down before our trip next year or we may be driving as well, although I’d rather stick a needle in my eye than drive from PA with my 3 girls. “She’s breathing on me” (You get the idea)

Is this going to be charged to people who have previously purchased tickets? Because that sort of thing REALLY ticks me off… as I’ve said before, I wish they’d just offer an upfront price.

Of course, a LOT of things tick me off. :laugh:

Right there with ya on this one!:laugh: Although, we already have decided we would be driving from PA for our next trip ourselves and I am envisioning the same scenario.:pinch::laugh:

I agree…$80 surcharge on top of a flight is outrageous! This is going to make a lot of people rethink where they vacation and how they get there. Seeing all these reports of added fees with the airlines makes me realize I am making a wise choice to drive in November…and I’m sure every trip to FL thereafter! :blink: