Not a TR, more of an Incident Report

I just don’t have the energy to do a full trip report from my June trip!

(And we’re talking Disneyland here, so I know most of you are going to stop reading now. :laugh:)

I spent most of my trip just sort of stressed out. We felt obligated to take advantage of the early hours that were offered so we were up VERY early every day, which was worth it in avoiding lines and invaluable in seeing Cars Land (4 hours lines for Radiator Springs Racers!).

So what I am going to share is what happened one day out of the five, because it’s mostly in praise of an awesome cast member whose kindness I will always appreciate!

It was our first look at Cars Land, first full day of vacation. We left the Disneyland Hotel at 6:15, in order to get to the security line before 6:30, and then into the lines at DCA.

We were by no means first in line, but we DID get to be first in line in front of a DCA turnstile due to my mad no-line turnstile seeking skills. (Yes, I brag! But I nearly ALWAYS find a turnstile that no one has lined up behind.)

When the park opened, we were near the beginning of the incredibly mad rush back to Cars Land. EEep!

…Except that Radiator Springs Racers were down. Not working. Not doing anything. Arrrgh. So we waited 45 minutes until the line started moving… which was frustrating as it was eating up the less-crowded early morning hours for hotel guests only.

So the line is moving, we’re approaching the “waiting one hour” mark, we just get to an entrance (maybe it was the FP entrance? But it was fairly close to the actual attraction) when Her Majesty announces that she absolutely, positively MUST use the facilities.

Okay. I leave my family to ride without us, and I find a cast member to get a pass to get back in line. Which he really didn’t want to give me “just come right back”, he says. Um… I’ve seen the chaos all around this attraction, CMs switch positions… could I please just get a pass? So he gave me a baby swap pass. Okay.

The restrooms aren’t all that close. But then Her Majesty decides that she is unable to use them, and must return to the hotel in order to do her business. Alrighty then.

So… cut to three hours later. Her Majesty is back with me, and even though it was my mom who took her back to the hotel I have spent the entire morning doing nothing but wait around and deal with the chaos of approximately a BAZILLION people in DCA (yes, this was the first full week with all the new stuff), and I was a little on edge, but still… okay.

But now that I’ve got Her Majesty back with me, it’s back to Radiator Springs Racers for us. It is a complete madhouse. The area that it’s in is a bit of a dead end, and it is just packed.

So I try to find a CM. The stand-by line at this point was over three hours… but the FP line was over an hour. I had already waited in line, and I’d been very close to the front when I had to leave. A baby swap pass would put me in the FP line… but again… I’d already waited my turn in line.

I find a CM, show him the baby swap pass but explain that it’s really a potty pass, and that we were already way up near the front, and is there anything he can do? He says he can’t, but let him get his lead.

So he takes me to his Lead. I was very polite, explaining the situation. And I am so ashamed to admit that while I talked to him, I did start crying a little bit- I was clearly on the edge and this just happens to me sometimes when I’m emotional and I was embarrassed about it. The CM lead, with a rather improbable name, said, “okay, we’re going to take care of this.” He clearly recognized that I was just stressed out. Or perhaps just that I was an extremely nice and polite crazy lady.

Which was kind of amazing of him, because there were all sorts of people in the absolute chaos of that attraction entrance, many of whom had problems, most of whom were complaining.

So he lead me up the back entrance, chatting with me and asking me again what had happened earlier (probably ascertaining that I wasn’t making all of this up not to have to stand in line in the first place). I figured he was just going to take me back to where I had left the line in the first place, which was what seemed fair to me.

No, he took me right up to the front of the attraction. In the special loading area. And told the CM who was there that we needed VIP treatment. And wished me well for the day as I thanked him profusely.

The CM at the loading area was also so incredibly nice, put us in the front row of a car, and made sure Her Majesty was sitting in the middle because that’s the best place for little kids to see everything.

And then we rode the Racers and it was AMAZING and I just remained in awe of the kindness that I was shown… I just felt so grateful to the CM, especially in the middle of, as I keep repeating, the [I]insanity[/I] surrounding the attraction.

So, yes, I filed a report on him at the Chamber of Commerce- that’s DCA’s City Hall. I didn’t give them the exact details because I didn’t want to get him in trouble in case he shouldn’t have done what he did… but I emphasized how awesome he had been and how he completely turned around my day in helping out with a situation. So I hope he got some brownie points.

All in all, it WAS a really great trip, but a little manic. Next time I want to slow down a bit. :happy:

(Also, this was in direct contrast with my experience with a CM I will name… MARY… who was a complete WITCH on the Casey Jr. ride and basically told us we were horrible human beings. Lovely girl.)

Sounds like I won’t be visiting Cars ANY time soon, but glad to hear your story had an ending with a CM who cares!

OH- and I can’t believe I FORGOT this!

Before awesome lead CM left us to the ride CM, he asked how many people I was with… 6 of us all together… and he says great, that’s perfect… and gives me a group FP (they’re good for 6 people) to come back to Radiator Springs Racers whenever so we could ride together. How NICE was that? SO COOL. Because FPs for that ride were generally gone half and hour after the park opens to the public at that time.

Oh Andrea, I feel that stress - so glad the nice CM turned it all round for you- CM Mary sounds a sweet girl…not…pray tell what prompted her nasty little comment?

Well. The Casey Jr. ride is a TINY little train and you get into tiny little train cars.

I was getting my kids into a car when someone else’s kids pushed between us and sat down. Then my parents and I got in the car, then the kids’ mother.

Rob, my DH, still outside, took one look inside that tiny thing and recognized that there was no way another human body was going to fit into that car. So he found another one to ride in with some other people. He’s a big boy. It was okay.

And then the woman’s husband wanted to get into our car. The woman asked us to move over. Um… where, exactly? So we said we couldn’t. Then the CM came over and wanted us to squish together more so that her husband could ride.

Really, no. We can’t. We’re as close together as we can get. We’re already extremely cozy and there’s nowhere to go. And that was the point when the CM clearly decided we were just mean, horrible people, who wouldn’t let that poor family ride together.

I pointed out very nicely, stating the fact that my family wasn’t together either because her kids had pushed between us, and that my husband hadn’t ridden with us, either, because he had the good sense to see that there was no more room in the car. It was really bordering on the absurd. The CM seemed to find that completely immaterial. But oh, did THAT set off the woman, because her little angels were just SO EXCITED (they weren’t toddlers, they were old enough to know better, but really, the kids themselves weren’t the problem).

So THEN we finish the ride, and then CM Mary comes over to that woman and is simply FAWNING over her, how she’ll let that poor, poor family ride again, of course, because she had to deal with US.

Are you kidding? All we did was refuse to do the impossible. It was crazy. :laugh:

Wow, I’m really glad you found a wonderful CM at the Cars ride. I’m also really hoping it’s not nearly as busy in January when I’ll be there…it sounds pretty bad right now.

But, that Mary woman…grrr, I’d be fuming after that incident. Not only should the people have let you in first, but the CM should be able to tell what’s happening and not have taken sides like that! If your husband couldn’t fit, then what makes her think the other husband could?! Did you complain about her?

She’s lucky it wasn’t me… :glare:

[QUOTE=princesslindsey;1121085]Wow, I’m really glad you found a wonderful CM at the Cars ride. I’m also really hoping it’s not nearly as busy in January when I’ll be there…it sounds pretty bad right now.

But, that Mary woman…grrr, I’d be fuming after that incident. Not only should the people have let you in first, but the CM should be able to tell what’s happening and not have taken sides like that! If your husband couldn’t fit, then what makes her think the other husband could?! Did you complain about her?[/QUOTE]

I think you’re going to be okay. The lines were already down to more manageable toward the end of summer. It’ll still be long-ish, I’m guessing, but not too terrible.

I didn’t complain about her because I decided to maintain good Disney karma and chalk it up to her having a bad day. :angel: (I’m still going to talk smack about her… just not officially report it… :laugh:)

I am glad you had such a magical experience with that awesome CM at Radiator Springs. He definitely made up for UNmagical Mary…blech

Whereas I am jonesing for all things DL and am happy to read anything! :blush:

RE: your experience at RSR – what a wonderful stroke of luck to happen upon such a terrific CM. Sadly, they aren’t all like that (Mary, I’m looking at you :glare:). That kind of helpfulness and consideration is so in keeping with the Disney spirit; I hope he got some positive attention from the higher-ups for acting as he did.

As for Mary…:pinch:. Some people REALLY shouldn’t work with the public. Clearly she is one of them. Tsk. :nonono2:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1121063]I just don’t have the energy to do a full trip report from my June trip!

(And we’re talking Disneyland here, so I know most of you are going to stop reading now. :laugh:) [/QUOTE]

Hark? Do I hear a voice from the wilderness that exists outside of WDW? :pirate:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1121063]
I spent most of my trip just sort of stressed out. We felt obligated to take advantage of the early hours that were offered so we were up VERY early every day, which was worth it in avoiding lines and invaluable in seeing Cars Land (4 hours lines for Radiator Springs Racers!).

It was our first look at Cars Land, first full day of vacation. We left the Disneyland Hotel at 6:15, in order to get to the security line before 6:30, and then into the lines at DCA. [/QUOTE]

Just wow. I mean, it’s Disneyland and all, but I don’t think I could have weathered a packed crowd AND early mornings thrown together with long lines… :blink:

[QUOTE=Andrea;1121063]When the park opened, we were near the beginning of the incredibly mad rush back to Cars Land. EEep!

…Except that Radiator Springs Racers were down. Not working. Not doing anything. Arrrgh. So we waited 45 minutes until the line started moving… which was frustrating as it was eating up the less-crowded early morning hours for hotel guests only. [/QUOTE]

When Voldemort told me about this over lunch, I was amazed. I’m not sure what I would have done, especially with Her Majesty in tow. Do you wait in line, too scared to move, hoping that the down time isn’t too long? :confused:

[QUOTE=Experiment6-2-6;1121113]
When Voldemort told me about this over lunch, I was amazed. I’m not sure what I would have done, especially with Her Majesty in tow. Do you wait in line, too scared to move, hoping that the down time isn’t too long? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Well, there were a couple of factors that made it not-too-awful. The first was that everyone was pretty much walking, and then stopped, unlike the continual line condensing that happens as the day progresses. So we weren’t pressed against people fore and aft.

Also, the queue is made like all DCA queues to be wheelchair accessible, so it’s wider. So we didn’t feel crowded, and Her Majesty had room to dance (as she does). Included also is that my parents were with us, the most doting grandparents EVER, and that helped keep her entertained.

But the most important factor in waiting it out was that we could see some Cars being tested after not too terribly long, and we could see enough of the load area in the distance to see the attitude of the CMs, and read it. Sometimes something breaks (on Indy, for example) and I’ve seen all of the CMs just immediately know that this was NOT something that was going to be fixed, no matter what they have to say.

The attitude of the CMs at Radiator Springs was that they were working it with the expectation that it was going to get fixed. They didn’t have that “yeah, there’s nothing we can do about THIS” demeanor. I saw frustration, I saw them have to start again a couple of times, but there seemed to be some purpose to their actions, so we had hope.

There was also the fact that Radiator Springs pretty much was our entire goal for the day. We wanted to do a lot of other things, of course, but Cars Land was our raison d’etre for the day.

So that’s my long explanation. :flowers:

There were other times when we saw the ride go down- happened a LOT that week, not again while we were in line, fortunately- and people were giving up left and right. I couldn’t blame them, especially those who were only an hour in to the four hour wait.

One day we sat at Flo’s cafe and watched the line and the non-running cars, and that definitely had a feeling of “this is NOT going to be starting again soon”… and it didn’t.

Thanks for these bits of info. I had been wondering. Mary sounds horrible, but I am still chuckling at the image of all of you squeezed into a Casey train after having finally seen one in person.

First, bless the hearts of the CMs who put up with all the craziness and still have the grace to be kind and to make magic each and every day. That is what Disney means to me.

Second, this is exactly why I am nervous to hit MK until the hubbub of the new Fantasyland has died down. In my old age (ha!), I am running low on patience and a huge insane madhouse would tip me over the edge. I will let all you young folks and your kids check it out first! :laugh:

Wow! What an amazing CM interaction you had at DCA. What the heck was up with the CM, “Mary”, at Casey Jr.? Geez!

I love how understanding and helpful the CMs were at RSR. I was a bit surprised by the fact that there is not a restroom closer to that attraction. We were even commenting that they might have considered putting a restroom in the queue, somehow. I don’t know why but that queue seems like the longest we’ve ever encountered and people were constantly having to leave the line, hoping to be able to return and find their party again.

Do you think that, maybe, that Mary person knew of your disdain for Dole Whips? hehe

Wow! What an amazing CM interaction you had at DCA. What the heck was up with the CM, “Mary”, at Casey Jr.? Geez!

I love how understanding and helpful the CMs were at RSR. I was a bit surprised by the fact that there is not a restroom closer to that attraction. We were even commenting that they might have considered putting a restroom in the queue, somehow. I don’t know why but that queue seems like the longest we’ve ever encountered and people were constantly having to leave the line, hoping to be able to return and find their party again.

Do you think that, maybe, that Mary person knew of your disdain for Dole Whips? hehe

How lovely when a little kindness just completely changes your day! Kudos to Lead CM.

And :tongue: to Mary. Charming girl.:dry:

Exact same thing happened to us once on the Great Movie Ride. We were four in the row and then a family of four LARGE people tried to squish in after us - they were told that they were suppose to be in the car behind us - but in typical WDW tourist fashion they paid no mind to instructions…after all - it was ALL ABOUT THEM! We were literally sitting on top of each other and the CM is trying to cram them in to shut the door - finally Neil just told the CM to put them in another car - we got the same kind of look, but at least she did it.

There’s a theme going on here. I had the same thing happen to me at the Great Movie Ride. Our row was full, and a cm told me and dh to move down to sqoosh another couple in. Well, this guy had “touching issues” to that he kept literally pushing my leg that was up against him away. I asked him where he expected me to go, and he just gave me a glare, like he had every right to do this because I was in his way. I ended up sitting on Todd’s lap, to stop me from slapping him the next time he pushed my leg away.

I know the CMs have some frustrating work, especially on the shows like Philharmagic “please continue all the way down” when people leave huge spaces between groups.

But other times… there’s a big difference between “sharing and playing nice with others” and “as much as we would love to, it is against every physical law in the universe for 25 cubic feet of people to fit in 20 cubic feet of space”. :laugh: