Not enjoying planning my next trip

Once my wife finally was able to give me her vacation dates last week(sadly, she is unable to get our actual anniversary off this year, which is a first time in 15 years) I was able to lock down our hotel at an AP rate. Although it isn’t my first choice, we’re in one of the new Royal Rooms at POR for a little more money than I’d wanted to spend. I’ve pretty much locked down dining, but again, we’re locked out of breakfast at Chef Mickey’s, 1900 Park Fare, and Crystal Palace and we’re locked out of California Grill. These are the little things we are forced to deal with when making reservations for the third week in October.
The part that I am absolutely NOT enjoying is having to make fast pass reservations 6 weeks in advance. And I’m not enjoying it because I do not want to be so locked in to being in a certain park at a certain time on a certain day when I am not certain what the weather will be or if I’ll be able to get my wife out of bed in the morning on time to make it to the park on time.
And of course, the kicker: we can only schedule in one park, can only preschedule 3 FPs in that one park, and are forced to choose one from Column A and two from Column B when we really only want to schedule two from Column A in Park 1 and then schedule one in Park 2 of any column. Plus, if you only choose 1 FP, the system decides for you what your other two FPs are, even if you didn’t want to do that. In fact, it really runs counter to the way we do parks. Often, we’ll only do one or two rides in one park and then bounce to another park. At least when they were still issuing paper fast passes, you could better plan things on the fly.
Now, you have to log in on your phone and start messing with the Disney App in order to try and alter your FP plans or add an FP after you’ve had your first three.

I agree. I didn’t like the new system. I do not like planning to that degree on vacation. I don’t mind booking a few ADRs in advance but I don’t want to pick which attractions and at what time weeks before our trip. We make a rough plan for our trip but nothing more than one ADR most days and which park we’re starting in each day and that tends to change depending on how we’re feeling when we get up that morning. I felt like we had zero flexibility last time, we wanted to change things around a few times but we felt like we couldn’t because of the fastpass system.

We agree, we will be in WDW first week of Oct. We did get all the FP and ADR we wanted close to the times we wanted but if we want to do something different our plans go coput. Seems like so much time planning is taking the fun out of going on vacation. If you slack off on planning you loose.Miss the days of going to the park on a hit and miss instead of the schedule we have know. I have seen the mad rush at opening to get a fast pass and wondered how many people ever got hurt. Don’t know the answer but we were lucky this time.

About the best thing about FP+ is being able to have a FP on your travel day and knowing you don’t have to do RD in order to get a FP at a few rides.

But beyond that, the fact that you can’t plan on the fly is a big drawback. I know we almost always had “the plan” beforehand. Mon - MK, Tues - Epcot, Wed - AK etc. Usually it lasted as far as Mon- MK, after that, one reason or another the plan was thrown out the window.

We are not planners, but unfortunately, now we have no choice. We did manage to go with in in August. One thing I did was take one day out of the 6 in the parks with NOTHING planned. That day, we were able to go where we wanted to and did jump parks…it worked out great. I highly recommend leaving one day open to go on the fly!!

We did use the Kiosks to change our FPs while in the parks…and to add additional ones after we used the 3. The biggest problem was finding the KIOSKS…they are NOT well marked so ask.

My biggest complaint is not so much the 3 in the MK but the tier system as mentioned. Some days we had to fill in a 3rd we didn’t want just to get through 3 so we could get another top tier ride.

There is no going back now unfortunately, and we managed fine…but we also don’t do a lot of ADRS…we only did 3 the whole week. When you have to fit specific meal times around specific FP times, it really becomes complicated. We mostly ate at walk ins and that was fine…

I think the only park where it is a major problem is EPCOT. There are just so few fast passes, that it is a problem. Now MK, You can get your first three… and then get one right after the other, almost… We did it in June (holiday weekend-with 7 people) and we rode 16 rides in MK using fast pass… now we do ge there early, but it can be done… And we rode everything. It does seem like a tight lid on your vacation plans, but you can change them day of- usually with no problem… except in EPCOT. There are not enough rides there, and the time slots fill up faster… Hang in there…

[QUOTE=hanwill;1919093695]I think the only park where it is a major problem is EPCOT. There are just so few fast passes, that it is a problem. Now MK, You can get your first three… and then get one right after the other, almost… We did it in June (holiday weekend-with 7 people) and we rode 16 rides in MK using fast pass… now we do ge there early, but it can be done… And we rode everything. It does seem like a tight lid on your vacation plans, but you can change them day of- usually with no problem… except in EPCOT. There are not enough rides there, and the time slots fill up faster… Hang in there…
[/QUOTE]

Wow, I don’t think we ever rode 16 rides in one day. How did you manage it and what rides did you go on?

Well to be honest, I don’t even really remember… But I do remember we did our first three fast passes booked one right after the other (say at 8, 9, 10)… In between we rode other rides, etc. then as soon as we rode our third, we went and got a fastpass for whatever was near us, and for right at that time. We rode it… repeat the rest of the day. We did not really wait even though the park was as busy as I have seen it in a long time. Now keep in mind, we do everything, tiki room, dumbo, jungle cruise, etc… Really anything.
At EPCOT, you cannot do that because there are like 8 fast passes for the whole day total to choose from… so you have more chance of all fast passes being distributed before you can get your third one used.
For us, fast pass worked for the other parks too… but it was the most successful at the MK.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1919093698]Well to be honest, I don’t even really remember… But I do remember we did our first three fast passes booked one right after the other (say at 8, 9, 10)… In between we rode other rides, etc. then as soon as we rode our third, we went and got a fastpass for whatever was near us, and for right at that time. We rode it… repeat the rest of the day. We did not really wait even though the park was as busy as I have seen it in a long time. Now keep in mind, we do everything, tiki room, dumbo, jungle cruise, etc… Really anything.
At EPCOT, you cannot do that because there are like 8 fast passes for the whole day total to choose from… so you have more chance of all fast passes being distributed before you can get your third one used.
For us, fast pass worked for the other parks too… but it was the most successful at the MK.[/QUOTE]

Yes—MK was the easiest to get the Fps for…I agree. EPCOT and DHS were the worse. We don’t have that many favorites at either of those two and the ones we do want to ride, are the Tier one or “only one of those at a time” type rides. We never did get RRC at DHS—we wanted Toy Story and they were all gone by the time we finished our 3—we didn’t even want that 3rd FP and didn’t use it but had to wait until the time passed before trying for RRC…tried two days and didn’t get it but…it wasn’t the worse loss. Next visit we will make RRC our must have first… But you are right—it’s much much easier at the MK because there are no restrictions on what you can choose for your first 3. :slight_smile:

We’ve still got MK covered because several years ago, we got a bunch of those yellow written fast passes that are issued by guest services that we haven’t used. And those are the ones to really have because you can choose which ride you want and basically just walk up and present the paper any time you want regardless of the time of day.
The other parks are still a problem.
And I still haven’t decided on which park or what times of day for anything other than our first day.
This is all a big PIMA. And I’m not talking about the city in Arizona.

[QUOTE=hanwill;1919093698]Well to be honest, I don’t even really remember… But I do remember we did our first three fast passes booked one right after the other (say at 8, 9, 10)… In between we rode other rides, etc. then as soon as we rode our third, we went and got a fastpass for whatever was near us, and for right at that time. We rode it… repeat the rest of the day. We did not really wait even though the park was as busy as I have seen it in a long time. Now keep in mind, we do everything, tiki room, dumbo, jungle cruise, etc… Really anything.
For us, fast pass worked for the other parks too… but it was the most successful at the MK.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok, I was reading it as you got 16 FP that day.

Back in the old days, there was times that we would bounce back and forth between splash and runaway railroad with really short FP times. But I couldn’t see how you got 16 FPs. I now understand what you did.

I need to add that there were plenty of times last month that after we had used up our 3 Fps we walked onto other attractions—while the lines were still long at the favorites—so—you can still walk on to rides—or wait 10 minutes and under at many of them. :slight_smile:

I didn’t realize they tiered the FP. We’ll be going back in February, it’ll be three years since our last visit. I can make my FP selections December 17, I hope it doesn’t stress me out too much.

The MK is wide open, you can choose any three but for Epcot and DHS, it’s tiered with only one from certain categories. (I don’t know about AK–we didn’t even go there last month.)

It is a bit of a pain in the butt!! In Magic Kingdom we were able to get 7-8 fastpasses in one half day, but it was harder in the other parks. Many times there were huge lines to just use a fast pass kiosk…it would be nice if you could schedule more than the original 3 from your phone app! The kiosks are fairly spaced out also, they need to add more!

I’m still waiting for a combination of creating five reservations in multiple parks.
The way it is now, it’s almost as if they are trying to discourage park hoppers and AP holders from park hopping.

[QUOTE=Soundgod;1919093712]I’m still waiting for a combination of creating five reservations in multiple parks.
The way it is now, it’s almost as if they are trying to discourage park hoppers and AP holders from park hopping.[/QUOTE]

That’s true…last month, we had to do our 3 FPs early in the day for Epcot, then switch over to another park because by then Soarin was all gone for the day…then come back to Epcot another day to do Soarin…I’m thinking they don’t want you to park hop anymore AND they are trying to make it so you have to stay more days to get your top tiered rides in…ex…test track and Soarin are top tier so you can only have one of those at a time. By the time your three are done, the top tiers are gone for the day. It’s not true of all of them but the top tiered attractions you almost have to have two days in each park now.

Completely agree Small World… That part needs to change…

There must have been a glitch in the system because last month we had both Soarin and test track fastpasses…with Nemo in between!!

…you really got lucky then!!! :smile: