Not happy with changes at southwest

Looking at fares for a sept trip, traveling from Phila., going down there are 5 non-stop flights and 2 coming home. Our trip next week has 6 non-stops both ways.

This trip we are paying for the early bird checking (12.50 each way), so the price difference is becoming smaller.

So the only thing that’s still really great at SW is getting credit and no charge for change of flights. I don’t know what the rules are if you book on air tran.

Knowing how the rules seem to change every day, I cringe when I here fellow MB’rs trying to make flight plans. Good luck.

I’ve flown many times on AirTran but not since the merge with Southwest. AirTran used to charge for changes (I think $250 a ticket). AirTran also charged for seat assignments.

Under the merger, if you book with Southwest and it’s operated by Airtran, you book under Soutwest’s policies I thought…read the small print carefully, but I thought that was the case.

I book with whoever is the lowest and am no slave to a name brand. I am as loyal to them as they are to me - not at all:laugh: I am not saying anyone here is a name brand slave. I am just saying, who ever is the lowest, gets my money.

I just read in the paper that Southwest is going to drop the credit, but only to those who don’t show up for the flight and haven’t called to cancel. I think non-stop flights are becoming a thing of the past. To bad as that’s the only way my dh will fly. He’s not a happy camper when it comes to flying. He hates take offs and landings.

[QUOTE=Dana;1133373]Under the merger, if you book with Southwest and it’s operated by Airtran, you book under Soutwest’s policies I thought…read the small print carefully, but I thought that was the case.

I book with whoever is the lowest and am no slave to a name brand. I am as loyal to them as they are to me - not at all:laugh: I am not saying anyone here is a name brand slave. I am just saying, who ever is the lowest, gets my money.[/QUOTE]

Yes I agree Dana—I use to book for the miles but that just doesn’t get you much anymore—and everytime I go to use my miles—I can’t on the dates I need to go—so… I too go with whomever has the best flight/cost/time…no loyalty here…:happy:

Companies in general give us no reason to be loyal.

Except, judging by the acivity on this board, Disney.:laugh:

[QUOTE=Dana;1133373]
I book with whoever is the lowest and am no slave to a name brand. I am as loyal to them as they are to me - not at all:laugh: I am not saying anyone here is a name brand slave. I am just saying, who ever is the lowest, gets my money.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but for us southwest has been the lowest but mostly because of
no baggage fees.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1133379]I agree, but for us southwest has been the lowest but mostly because of
no baggage fees.[/QUOTE]

…the fees are getting ridiculous—I wish airlines would just wrap all the fees into the ticket and let it go at that…

When I travel with my DH on UAL, we don’t have any fees at all regardless of number of baggage ,weight etc…but he doesn’t like WDW so I’m never traveling with him going there…

Anyone else ever pay the fee to go thru the separate security line? I encountered that for the first time last summer on USAIR…

[QUOTE=Dana;1133373]Under the merger, if you book with Southwest and it’s operated by Airtran, you book under Soutwest’s policies I thought…read the small print carefully, but I thought that was the case.

[/QUOTE]

I looked at southwest website and “booked” using air tran fllights and it does say…

No Change Fees
(applicable fare difference applies)
Reusable Funds
(nontransferable - no name changes allowed)
Nonrefundable

So the use of funds is the same. The only change is when you check it, air tran gives you seats and you can only change once you get to the airport. So the no change fees/reusable funds policy makes me happy.

Dana hits a homerun again.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1133392]I looked at southwest website and “booked” using air tran fllights and it does say…

No Change Fees
(applicable fare difference applies)
Reusable Funds
(nontransferable - no name changes allowed)
Nonrefundable

So the use of funds is the same. The only change is when you check it, air tran gives you seats and you can only change once you get to the airport. So the no change fees/reusable funds policy makes me happy.

Dana hits a homerun again.[/QUOTE]

I’m ticked about the change on fees only for same name. >>>I<<< bought the tickets, and when I can’t use money that I paid with my credit card it rubs me the wrong way. (And it’s all the same last name too!)

Also, not happy about the number of direct flights that we used to have is now cut due to the merger with Airtran so more flights are being directed into Atlanta. My 2 hour flight has become a 4-5 hour flight for MOST of the choices.

I can fly my little old slow plane down in 5 hours! Crank in the extra time for security and the trip becomes 6-8 hours with a change. And with the increases in airfares, it’s gettting to be almost cheaper too.

[QUOTE=rlcarmichael;1133397]I’m ticked about the change on fees only for same name. >>>I<<< bought the tickets, and when I can’t use money that I paid with my credit card it rubs me the wrong way. (And it’s all the same last name too!)

Also, not happy about the number of direct flights that we used to have is now cut due to the merger with Airtran so more flights are being directed into Atlanta. My 2 hour flight has become a 4-5 hour flight for MOST of the choices.

I can fly my little old slow plane down in 5 hours! Crank in the extra time for security and the trip becomes 6-8 hours with a change. And with the increases in airfares, it’s gettting to be almost cheaper too.[/QUOTE]

Two things: I completely agree about the name thing and the credits. Seems wrong.

As for scheduling, I fly in and out of Atlanta, and I’m finding fewer, not more, nonstop flights, too, which makes less sense. GRRRRR.

All I know is what use to cost around $160 round trip from Chicago to Orlando, now has more than doubled. For our October trip, the only non-stop flights are $222 ONE WAY!!! And, I’m like Loretta’s dh. It took Disney to get me on a plane in the first place. No way would I even consider a non-direct flight. Looks like driving or train are going to become more common, at least in my future if this keeps up.

[QUOTE=jo-jo;1133366]Looking at fares for a sept trip, traveling from Phila., going down there are 5 non-stop flights and 2 coming home. Our trip next week has 6 non-stops both ways.

This trip we are paying for the early bird checking (12.50 each way), so the price difference is becoming smaller.

So the only thing that’s still really great at SW is getting credit and no charge for change of flights. I don’t know what the rules are if you book on air tran.[/QUOTE]

Many factors go into scheduling,one is the day of the week,another is seasonal demand,another especially for SWA is when you change one route it AFFECTS others because of there routing schedules…can’t fly without a plane…so check other days and see if the non stops change on different day…especially sat and sun are sometimes problematical

I booked Airtran through SW. I emailed to be sure I would travel under SW rules.