Off property questions

I’ve been pricing out a trip for Thanksgiving I think we are going to stay off property-for the first time; I’m a bit lost to say the least :blink:
Are the base tickets cheaper when you buy them with the WDW packages?
Do we just purchase our tickets at the gate on the way into a park?

I LOVE the DDP I know it’s not a huge saving anymore, but I love having all our ADR done & paid for the trip. Are there any benefits from not getting the dinning plan??

~Thanks everyone :minnie:

Honestly, we don’t have the DDP anymore because I find it too stressful! We’re the kind that can change our minds at the last minute and I hate having to change ADRs. There are days I don’t want the stress of trying to make it to a restaurant in time for the reservation or eating, just for the sake of eating, whether you want to or not. Now we only make table service ressies every second day or so. It’s more than enough for us. You can keep a lid on the expense by reviewing all the menus and getting an idea of what your costs will be. Of course you can still make all your ADRs, so that won’t be too different.

As far as tickets, to make it a little affordable, I have recommended in the past Undercover tourist. I’ve purchased from them for many years. The tickets are slightly discounted, and you don’t pay taxes. If you sign up for Mousesavers.com monthly newsletter, there is a link on the newsletter that claims it has the best discounts.

I stayed off site for the first time last year. Believe me, I had huge reservations, but it worked out fine. It was just a matter of getting my bearings of how to get everywhere seeing I’m so spoiled with being chauffered by the buses. It will be fine.

When comparing costs don’t forget to add in the daily price to park, which I think is up to $14.00 a day.
As to eating, like Llama, we do not do the DDP. We wing it and have always been able to find a nice sit down location even calling as late as noon the day of. It is so relaxing not being tied to 15-20 must do ADR’s during our 8-10 day trip.

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1113156]I’ve been pricing out a trip for Thanksgiving I think we are going to stay off property-for the first time; I’m a bit lost to say the least :blink:
Are the base tickets cheaper when you buy them with the WDW packages?
Do we just purchase our tickets at the gate on the way into a park?

I LOVE the DDP I know it’s not a huge saving anymore, but I love having all our ADR done & paid for the trip. Are there any benefits from not getting the dinning plan??

~Thanks everyone :minnie:[/QUOTE]

We have never stayed in Disney, we always stay in a Villa quite close and it’s fantastic!
We’ve never been on the DDP so I can’t say much about it… but we hire a car and love the freedom of going to any park, shopping mall and restaurant we want, whenever we want! :happy:

We don’t do the DDP either and have never gone without a meal!! We prefer to be flexible with our day…sometimes choosing to walk up to a restaurant and getting in…there are certain places that we can always walk into if we choose…

The most we ever do is one dinner ressie a stay…The main benefit to us is that there is no worry to be at a certain restaurant at a certain time…especially if we are across the park…or even if we decide to go to a different park that day…as Llama said…less stress…we eat what we feel like eating at that meal time. :slight_smile:

How many people in your group? The value resorts can be comparable to offsite when they really have a special discount.

This will be my first time in years not staying at Disney Property … I think it has it’s perks like more flexibility… Last time we did DDP it didn’t really work for us, had to buy extra food for the boys

We have only stayed on property once. Otherwise, we have always rented a villa. With a family of five, this made sense. We loved the space and our own pool. We got our tickets from Undercover Tourist. I liked having our own car and we at breakfast and one other meal at the house to save money. Depending on where you stay, there are less expensive restaurants than at Disney.
My daughter and I stayed at AKL the last time. We love being there but honestly hated the bus as it was far from most parks. The last time we stayed in a Villa it was at Champions Gate and most days it was less than 30 minutes from house to getting to the park gates.

I’ve never stayed off property. One thing I really like about staying on property is that feeling of totally stepping out of the world for a week. You’re just in the Disney World and you can pretend for a week there is nothing else out there.

I gotta say that the couple of times we didn’t stay in a Disney resort…(husbands work trips) I found that the magic just wasn’t the same. Even at the Swan and Dolphin on Disney property— just wasn’t the same magic. We love the whole deal…resort, bus rides etc! I love leaving the MK after the fireworks when the driver turns the lights out…and you look back and see the MK all lit up…and everyone is so tired but happy…just my opinion…:slight_smile:

I agree; this is why we only get to go once a year $$$…
I love the whole experience of WDW from waking up and walking over the bridge, at POR to get coffee, to the “have a magical night” when we drive in at night from the park.
I’m so torn :sad:

Thanks for all the info MBer’s I have a lot to think about.

Smallworld, we feel the same way. We have done the go with the hubby trips, and it was awful to drive to the mk, even for a few minutes. It really did bring me back to reality to close the car door and drive to the hotel. I prefer the stay on property route if you can, even at value.
That being said any day at disney,however you can get there, is better than no day at all.

I have always been a mod or higher snob, and except for fitting my gamily of 5, i would do the value in a minute. Their theming was just as great as any other hotel, and much better than any other hotel off disney property. We did not use the bus service for the one night that we stayed there, but it was such a fun atmosphere.

[QUOTE=tinker2222;1113241]I agree; this is why we only get to go once a year $$$…
I love the whole experience of WDW from waking up and walking over the bridge, at POR to get coffee, to the “have a magical night” when we drive in at night from the park.
I’m so torn :sad:

Thanks for all the info MBer’s I have a lot to think about.[/QUOTE]

…at least you get to go, and you will have a great time…no matter where you stay! :slight_smile: we only go every 2-3 years now that my daughter is grown…so we are able to always stay on property and just about do what we want to…still…money doesn’t grow on trees so I certainly never ever fault anyone for their own decisions. Good luck planning.

There is no doubt that the whole Disney experience is so much more than the parks. As said above, it’s wonderful to take a break from the “real” world for a week. That being said - you can still have a lot of fun. Maybe try a day at a different park - Sea World and Universal are terrific parks. Nothing beats a week at a Disney resort, but I wouldn’t let it cloud your whole vacation.

I can see where all you guys are coming from. If you all live in the US anyway, I guess Disney is kind of an escape so you like being inside there? But for us, America is part of our vacation (at least Orlando and Kissimmee anyway!) so that’s why we like to stay in a villa and do our own thing!

It’s actually crazy being in the villa, because of the air con we can wear our woolly pyjamas and feel like we’re at our home in freezing cold England! :laugh:

[QUOTE=xmellymox;1113269]I can see where all you guys are coming from. If you all live in the US anyway, I guess Disney is kind of an escape so you like being inside there? But for us, America is part of our vacation (at least Orlando and Kissimmee anyway!) so that’s why we like to stay in a villa and do our own thing!

It’s actually crazy being in the villa, because of the air con we can wear our woolly pyjamas and feel like we’re at our home in freezing cold England! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

Mel, I get what you’re saying. We like to do other things besides Disney too, like Sea World and NASA and all the malls! Personally, thought we prefer to be on Disney property, we did originally stay off site, but Disney property just suits our needs better.
Hey its only 12 days til you go! You must be so excited, and I want to hear all when you return please!

[QUOTE=xmellymox;1113269]I can see where all you guys are coming from. If you all live in the US anyway, I guess Disney is kind of an escape so you like being inside there? But for us, America is part of our vacation (at least Orlando and Kissimmee anyway!) so that’s why we like to stay in a villa and do our own thing!

It’s actually crazy being in the villa, because of the air con we can wear our woolly pyjamas and feel like we’re at our home in freezing cold England! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

…I definitely see your point on this. I never thought about it from your perspective. I gotta tell you though, that many of our friends here, just don’t understand why we go and stay on property, don’t rent a car…never leave until our trip is over. Many just don’t understand us…so…it’s all about what works best for each person/family. :slight_smile:

Yeah exactly! It’s good to try new things though so I’m definitely gonna stay in WDW at some point!
My cousins went last year and stayed in WDW for 4 days then spent the rest of the time in a villa, something like that would be good! :happy:

Dixie… we ARE excited!! :laugh: VERY VERY excited! I will share as much as I can when I get back!
However, my friend (Campbell87) was about to leave this morning but her flight got delayed over 12 hours. She didn’t leave until 8pm! :sad: and as we are going on the same airline as her family, I’m kinda worried about our flight taking off on time! I hope ours isn’t delayed… I hate flying as it is without that delay!
Keep your fingers crossed for us guys! :happy:

[QUOTE=xmellymox;1113276]Yeah exactly! It’s good to try new things though so I’m definitely gonna stay in WDW at some point!
My cousins went last year and stayed in WDW for 4 days then spent the rest of the time in a villa, something like that would be good! :happy:

Dixie… we ARE excited!! :laugh: VERY VERY excited! I will share as much as I can when I get back!
However, my friend (Campbell87) was about to leave this morning but her flight got delayed over 12 hours. She didn’t leave until 8pm! :sad: and as we are going on the same airline as her family, I’m kinda worried about our flight taking off on time! I hope ours isn’t delayed… I hate flying as it is without that delay!
Keep your fingers crossed for us guys! :happy:[/QUOTE]

Was she leaving from Liverpool? I read an article yesterday that the airport in Liverpool had run out of fuel!:huh: How does an airport run out of fuel? Hope you don’t run into any problems!

Oh no! that’s scary. We’re both actually from Liverpool, and haven’t heard this story shockingly! BUT we have to go to Manchester to fly from because Liverpool don’t fly as far as Florida! :laugh:

Update on Campbell87: She finally made it to Florida! seems like she’s having fun, however she didn’t arrive until early hours in the morning FL time! A whole day is gone right there! :pinch: